PDA

View Full Version : Oil Recommendations?

Crash
08-24-2005, 01:30 PM
In my manual it says to use SAE30, but I've noticed on Doug's check list and others checklists as well as on a previous postings that you are using oil alternatives to the manual. I'm ready to change mine and noticed its pretty black, so I'm thinking I should stray from the manual as well and am trying to decifer which to use, what are your recommendations?

MarkP
08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Crash

I used the Rotella 15-40 the last time. I have been thinking about going to a synthetic next time

Cary K.
08-24-2005, 01:56 PM
I also use the Rotella 15W40.

BrianM
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Just changed to Rotella 15-40 from the 30 that I was running. According to Indmar the 15-40 is what is now reccomended for older engines,

BriEOD
08-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I use the Marine 15W-40 Penzoil makes. You can get it at Wal-Mart for 1.65/qt.

PeteS
08-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Rotella 15-40. I'm friends with a rep from an lubricant distributor who claims that it is their flagship oil in that viscosity. She said that it is packed with detergents, and promotes super clean internals. I'll never switch.

Storm861triple
08-24-2005, 04:15 PM
If you change your oil every 50 hours, it doesn't matter what oil you use; they'll all do a superb job of protecting your engine.

pilot02
08-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I use Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic. The oil guy's I've talked to have recommended this based on the fact that most of my use is at high RPM's and high loads as most of my skiing is slalom @34-36 or barefooting (wide open) at 40-41

bigmac
08-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Rotella 15-40. I'm friends with a rep from an lubricant distributor who claims that it is their flagship oil in that viscosity. She said that it is packed with detergents, and promotes super clean internals. I'll never switch.

There's an amazing amount of hype and voodoo surrounding motor oils and motor oil quality. The fact is, oil is oil. The American Petroleum Institute (API) is pretty rigid about adherence to their service classifications, which are in turn derived from auto manufacturer's warranty specifications.

As long as an oil meets the API Service Classification requirements, it's all the same. Indmar specifies service classification CH-4/SJ, an oil for commercial duty including heavy-duty diesel engines.

Additional stuff like "Advanced Soot Control" or "packed with detergents" etc is nothing but marketing hype. Pennzoil Marine is good oil made by a reputable company. So is Rotella T. It doesn't matter which you use, or if you mix and match. Just make sure to check the API service classification of the oil you put in your boat.

lakes Rick
08-24-2005, 05:19 PM
There's an amazing amount of hype and voodoo surrounding motor oils and motor oil quality. The fact is, oil is oil. The American Petroleum Institute (API) is pretty rigid about adherence to their service classifications, which are in turn derived from auto manufacturer's warranty specifications.

As long as an oil meets the API Service Classification requirements, it's all the same. Indmar specifies service classification CH-4/SJ, an oil for commercial duty including heavy-duty diesel engines.

Additional stuff like "Advanced Soot Control" or "packed with detergents" etc is nothing but marketing hype. Pennzoil Marine is good oil made by a reputable company. So is Rotella T. It doesn't matter which you use, or if you mix and match. Just make sure to check the API service classification of the oil you put in your boat.

My understanding is the Diesel oils ( Rotella 15-40 being one of them) have much more metallics in them, like Zinc, which aids in the lubrication of tappet cams.. You cannot use these in modern cars as it would destroy the catalyctic converter and its unnecessary as modern engines all have roller cams......
Most of my buds in the MOPAR crowd all use the diesel or synthetic oils in our Muscle cars with tappet cams and no cats.... Some have had leak problems with Mobil full synthetic, but that is another topic.. If you look at the 20-50 mobil synthetic, it will say for off road use only, as its formulation is more for "older" cars..... Rick

bigmac
08-24-2005, 05:57 PM
My understanding is the Diesel oils ( Rotella 15-40 being one of them) have much more metallics in them, like Zinc, which aids in the lubrication of tappet cams.. You cannot use these in modern cars as it would destroy the catalyctic converter and its unnecessary as modern engines all have roller cams......
Most of my buds in the MOPAR crowd all use the diesel or synthetic oils in our Muscle cars with tappet cams and no cats.... Some have had leak problems with Mobil full synthetic, but that is another topic.. If you look at the 20-50 mobil synthetic, it will say for off road use only, as its formulation is more for "older" cars..... Rick

Synthetics I'm not very familiar with as their use came well after my stints as a grunt in the lab of my family's oil business. Testing our formulations against API specs for submission for API approval was a big part of what I did (boring, tedious work). That, and picking up coffee/donuts for the engineers.

Various engine manufacturers specify oil performance parameters for durability and emissions, which the API then develops testing methods and specs for, then classifies them. The most current API service classification for high-speed, off-road diesel engine oils is now CL-4 and was driven by in large part by Caterpillar's warranty requirements for 2004 engines. CL-4 is superior to CH-4, but all API service classifications include all of the SC' s that come before it. CH-4 was spec'd in 1999, CL-4 in 2004

The oil that Indmar specifies (and most current marine applications do too), CH-4/SJ, is a combined service classification, where the oil must meet not only CH-4, but also service classification SJ, which was based on automobile manufacturer warranty requirements in the 1997 model-year.