PDA

View Full Version : Wake pylon rotating- how to stop it?

gweaver
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I've got a Skylon pylon with board racks on my 190. When we put boards in the racks, the pylon has a tendency to turn with the wind. It doesn't spin, but it does rotate through a 30-40 degree arc. Any ideas how to eliminate this? I thought about putting a bolt through it, but I don't want to drill through the ski pylon. I've got the bow strap tight, but it doesn't keep the pylon from rotating.
G

imracin68j
06-22-2012, 02:51 AM
u cant. its what they do

gweaver
06-22-2012, 03:05 AM
Hmmm...not sure I like that. I already had a friend just about get whacked in the head by a board that had shifted. Seems dangerous.
I did have a friend suggest drilling and tapping a hole for a set screw down by the base of the pylon. Might scratch up the ski pylon, but maybe if I drilled the hole low enough. Or drill slightly in to the ski pylon, so it can't rotate and score the aluminum. Thoughts?
G

charrison327
06-22-2012, 09:49 AM
I guess you could drill, but I wouldn't want to drill into my pylon, i'm sure it wouldn't hurt it, but just a personal thing, but then again, I added a tower to my 190 and a lot of people wouldn't do that. you can always find a new pylon if you messed it up i guess.

johnlanguab
06-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Once the proper tension is applied, my pylon doesn't rotate.

rholmes
06-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Do you have the two piece pylon or the one piece?

Dylan
06-22-2012, 12:16 PM
My 2-piece BI pylon rotates slightly as well. Since you mentioned you have a board rack on it, my best advice would be to balance the load side to side. It seems to rotate less this way (aerodynamics).

mzimme
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
My fly high doesnt rotate at all. I have that sucker tight though. I have to have someone push the pylon forward just to attach the caribeaner to the bow strap, then I tighten the buckle down - that thing doesn't go anywhere.

Ryan
06-23-2012, 01:31 AM
I have board and ski racks on mine and rand a zip tie around the tension strap and the longer ski rack. I'ts not perfectly centere, but it stays put and doesn't rotate.

Latin Flyer
06-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Duck tape?

Sorry guys, it,s raining in south florida, i,m boreddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

orbeamlb
06-24-2012, 10:13 AM
My fly high doesnt rotate at all. I have that sucker tight though. I have to have someone push the pylon forward just to attach the caribeaner to the bow strap, then I tighten the buckle down - that thing doesn't go anywhere.

Same with my Fly High (two piece). No rotation with the cables nice and tight.

gweaver
06-24-2012, 12:05 PM
OK- we're taking the boat out next week on a camping trip. I'll try again to see if I can get the cable tighter. Trying not to stand on the bow deck, so it's hard to get enough leverage to really get it tight. The last time I put the pylon up, I did it while the boat was on the trailer. This time I'll wait until it's in the water so it's sitting lower.
Rholmes: It's a two-piece Skylon unit. The lower section rotates on the ski pylon and the upper section rotates in the lower section. :(
G

mikeg205
06-24-2012, 12:49 PM
It's the nature of the product. Time for a tower... :D

tph
06-24-2012, 12:54 PM
You can eliminate the rotation between the two pieces using a nut and bolt between the two sections. I drilled a hole through both sections, then attached a nut to the inside of some ABS pipe that had a hole drilled into it and slid it into the lower section with some adhesive. Works great. Also, you may be able to eliminate the rotation on the MC pylon by using rubber (old bicycle inner tube) as the insulator between the two pylons.

Hrkdrivr
06-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Maybe a thin piece of emory paper/super-fine sand paper/strip of rubber? Put it into the female parts of the assembly and then mate the parts. Might provide just enough friction to prevent twisting.

Drilling something that has such a stress load on it gives me the willies.

gweaver
06-24-2012, 07:25 PM
It's the nature of the product. Time for a tower... :D

On a 190? With this crowd, they'd hunt me down and take my boat for putting a tower on it. :D

Thru bolting the two sections could work. I'll see how tight I can get the cable next time I go out. If that still doesn't work, then I'll look in to some sort of shim material. If that fails, then bolting it or a set screw or three might be the way to go.
G

Farmer Ted
06-24-2012, 07:31 PM
On a 190? With this crowd, they'd hunt me down and take my boat for putting a tower on it. :D

Thru bolting the two sections could work. I'll see how tight I can get the cable next time I go out. If that still doesn't work, then I'll look in to some sort of shim material. If that fails, then bolting it or a set screw or three might be the way to go.
G

I put a tower on mine, www.newdimensiontowers.com (my boat) these guys do it right.
For about $2500 you'll get a the back seat and four boards off the floor our out from under the bow.

I don't regret the tower one bit.

rholmes
06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Rholmes: It's a two-piece Skylon unit. The lower section rotates on the ski pylon and the upper section rotates in the lower section. :(
G

Had the same unit for 10+ years, mine never rotated, but then again I never had board racks. You should be ratching it tight enough that you have no slack in the line and the cable is really taunt, about guitar string taunt. Is there a single cable through the top of the skylon that feeds through the upper tube?

gweaver
06-25-2012, 02:02 AM
Ted- yup, I've seen those towers. Very nice, but at $2500, that's almost what I paid for the boat!! Way, way out of my budget.

Rholmes- yes, there's a single cable. There's no ratchet strap, as such, but there's a cam latch. Basically, pull the webbing strap as tight as possible, then flip a cam latch that snugs that up a bit more. There's a definite limit to how tight I can make it, as there's a doubling of the webbing that prevents me from pulling it even tighter. Maybe I have an older version of the system or something.
G

rholmes
06-26-2012, 12:13 AM
So no ratchet like in this photo (http://www.skylonsports.com/media/instructions/Skylon_Fatpole.pdf) ?

Might want to see if you can buy from them a replacement piece...

gweaver
07-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Update- had the boat out over the weekend. I used a ratchet strap around the top of the pole down to the bow lifting ring. Ratcheted down a couple of clicks, then clamped the pylon strap. Removed the ratchet, and no movement from the pylon all weekend. :)
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
G

O2BESOHUGE
07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Once the proper tension is applied, my pylon doesn't rotate.

MINE DIDNT EITHER

ash_flat_diesel
07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I had a BIG POLE in my 78 and I drilled it and put a small pin in it down low