PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X1 Boat doesn't go into gear

HartlandX1
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Hello, 2007 X1, RTP engine, 350hrs or so.

Having an issue where periodically the boat won't go into gear. The engine will be running great. We will be driving around, forward, reverse, high RPM's, low RPM's, no problem.

Occasionally, after stopping with the engine still on and in neutral, go to put it back into gear, and the transmission doesn't engage, and the engine doesn't rev, stays at idle. Like its just in neutral still. Turn off the engine, wait 5 seconds, turn back on, the goes into gear just fine.

Have no issues with rev limiters or anything. Occasionally the check engine message will flash. All other gauges look fine (oil, temp, etc).

Seems more electrical rather than mechanical, but not sure-

bturner2
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
07 is mechanical shift. Next time it does it take your back seat cushions off and physically look at the shift lever on the trans. With someone at the helm to drive while you muck around and in a clear area for testing look to see the position of the lever. This will tell you if the problem is in the control or the trans area. If the lever is in forward on the trans and you're not in gear try moving the lever in the direction of engagement to see if the trans pops in gear. It could be as simple as the linkage not being adjusted properly. If the lever has not moved to the forward position on the trans then your issue is in the control and probably has to do with the neutral pin. There's really not a lot to these transmissions. It should either go into gear or not. That's not to say that once it's in gear things can't get crazy but finding a simple shifting issue such as yours should be pretty straight forward.

swatguy
06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
I can't recall if the throttle is "by wire" or if it is direct cable on your boat. Do you have perfect pass? If so check the linkage and servo motor. All provided its a direct cable system.

brucemac
06-21-2012, 05:12 PM
05 and up is TBW

MattsCraft
06-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Throttle is electronic, but the trans lingage is mechanical is it not?

HartlandX1
06-21-2012, 10:21 PM
I have the mastercraft cruise system- Will check. Thanks

Seems strange though, I have been able to "fix" the issue 100% when turning the engine off, and back on-

willyt
06-21-2012, 11:59 PM
i would check your mechanical linkage to the tranny, then i would check your TPS

bturner2
06-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Sometimes what you think is happening isn't. The act of stopping and starting the boat may be just enough of a bump to get the lever that's just on the edge to kick into gear. Your throttle is DBW, your shift linkage is mechanical. This sounds like it's something in the throttle control that's out of adjustment. The linkage is either moving and putting the trans in gear or not. Only one way to find out. Look at it and try moving the lever when you experience the failure.

Jlandry
04-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Hello, 2007 X1, RTP engine, 350hrs or so.

Having an issue where periodically the boat won't go into gear. The engine will be running great. We will be driving around, forward, reverse, high RPM's, low RPM's, no problem.

Occasionally, after stopping with the engine still on and in neutral, go to put it back into gear, and the transmission doesn't engage, and the engine doesn't rev, stays at idle. Like its just in neutral still. Turn off the engine, wait 5 seconds, turn back on, the goes into gear just fine.

Have no issues with rev limiters or anything. Occasionally the check engine message will flash. All other gauges look fine (oil, temp, etc).

Seems more electrical rather than mechanical, but not sure-
I have same issue occur with my 07 xstar yesterday. Shifted great for hours then for no apparent reason it would not shift into forward or reverse. Mine, however, will rev the motor while not going anywhere. I turned off the motor and tried several times after restarting the motor getting it in gear to no avail then about an hour after the initial problem i cranked the motor and it shifted right into gear. After getting my kids and i back to the dock i shifted in and out of forward and reverse seamlessly several times. I checked the fluid level of the transmission as I thought maybe the oil aerated after use somehow but the level is fine. Brought it to a local mechanic and he found nothing wrong. Any thoughts/ ideas on the problem is appreciated.

sand2snow22
04-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Had a problem with my 05 X-2. Kept throwing check engine light and a code and it would go into limp mode. Mine would often rev and not go into gear or rev and clunk into gear. IIRC you might have to try repositioning the pedal position and the throttle sensors/rear valve to correlate to the new pedal position. I think there is a wiring diagram floating on here somewhere.

ssnaples
06-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue with my 2007 X2. It runs fine, all fluids and gauges are reading normal.... then a check engine light, and then it goes into limp mode (will not engage in gear). If i restart the boat and throttle before the check engine alarm sounds, it works... once the boat is in neutral again, there is no ability to throttle. Any way to fix this without going to the dealer? Any ideas are appreciated.

trickskier
06-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue with my 2007 X2. It runs fine, all fluids and gauges are reading normal.... then a check engine light, and then it goes into limp mode (will not engage in gear). If i restart the boat and throttle before the check engine alarm sounds, it works... once the boat is in neutral again, there is no ability to throttle. Any way to fix this without going to the dealer? Any ideas are appreciated.

I had this same problem on my 06' X-1. Dealer had to replace the entire shift mechanism. Only way to fix is by the dealer as the shifter has to be programmed once installed.