PDA

View Full Version : mid amp cuts out

OkanaganX2
06-21-2012, 12:06 PM
i am constantly having problems with my mid amp cutting out. it plays fine for a few minutes and then goes into protection, then back on and off.

i tried another amp, same thing happens.

im trying to narrow down where the amps are grounded or looking for a way to check for a shorting speaker.

ive disconnected two speakers at a time and tested but still run into protection mode

2008 X2

95_190_PS_PS
06-21-2012, 01:46 PM
There's probably an issue with one of the speaker wires being crimped or slightly cut. I had this same problem with my car stereo.

Easiest way is to connect each speaker to the amp one at a time to find the one with the problem, then go from there.

Philscbx
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I tend to agree with 95/190 - Using a 9v battery with leads - remover the speaker leads,
and apply battery on one end - and Ohm meter the other end of speaker leads to verify.
I can imaging the route to get to the amps is not easy.
Are the cable runs protected in a jacket, and wire tied secure?

The system is going through about the same as a 4x4 in the rough.

TayMC197
06-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Check your negative cable at the battery. Loose connection equals system failure. Also disconnect the speaker wires and run it. Then hook each up separately. This will help trouble shoot if it's not that battery.

Kyle
06-22-2012, 03:05 AM
First off, did this just start happening or has it been this way?

If you have multiple speakers running to 1 channel then you could be adding or subtracting ohms and the amp may not be able to handle it.

If you are running 1 channel per speaker then test 1 channel at a time.

If your amp is set up to run 4ohms and you are trying to run it in 2ohms or 8ohms then it may be the fact the amp is not capable of running the system correctly.

Always check positive (red), ground (black), and remote (blue) wires on all ends before disconnecting wires. If you are just recently experiencing this problem then maybe you habe a bad connection.