PDA

View Full Version : Seat is frozen

stumbledog
08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
'93 Prostar. The driver seat is stuck in farthest back position. Any ideas on how to free it up or remove it to grease the channels it should ride back and forth on?

phecksel
08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
'93 Prostar. The driver seat is stuck in farthest back position. Any ideas on how to free it up or remove it to grease the channels it should ride back and forth on?
If it's rusted, which is likely, tearing it totally apart cleaning the rust is about the only solution, short of replacing the tracks. If it's bent like my tristar was, you might be able to straighten the tracks, but success is unlikely.

Kevin 89MC
08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
My '89 Prostar seat froze in the middle position a few years back. This spring I wanted it back a bit, and was able to get it moved by holding the lever and gently forcing the seat back and forth. Push at the bottom, not the top. Mine was a bit rusted. You'll probably need to get it moved in order to disassemble it. I do need to pull mine, clean it up and re-grease it.
Good luck,
Kevin

RickDV
08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
I just fixed this on mine a couple of days ago. I removed the seat entirely (unscrewed it from the floor) so I could get at the tracks better. I dripped regular lubricating oil (not WD40) on each track from the front and back. Then I worked the seat back and forth and eventually the oil worked it's way across the entire track.

I found the best way to move the seat was to sit in it. I think I had even removed the cushion. Pushing it (low, not high) only worked a little bit.

If your rails are bent then of course simply oiling them would not take care of the problem. Once you get the seat out of the boat you will see a couple of bolts attaching the rail to the seat. You may be able to remove the rails in order to straighten them out.

Good luck.

jay
06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Mine worked fine all last season and even earlier this April, but locked up in May, so this is helpful as usual. Thanks!

madcityskier
06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Ah yes, what was old is new again. Old threads are worth their weight in gold.

pram
06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
My 91 had the same issue,. I removed the seat and the runners, took them apart, cleaned them, unbent them and put it all back together

worked really nicely after that