PDA

View Full Version : Velvet drive rebuild issues

lhkrueger
06-20-2012, 07:37 PM
1983 190 PS 351 barn find in storage for 15 years. Trans needed 2000 rpm to engage but reverse engaged as normal. Disassemble, clean and rebuild. New front pump, all clutch discs and plates, seals, o-rings and gaskets. Bearings were good. Cleaned and reused clutch pistons ( actuators ) but they showed no wear. Hour meter shows 205 and works. First watertest today. Reverse engages promptly but foreward stall is still 1500 to 1800 rpm. Need real gearhead help here. Thanks

nkorep2
06-21-2012, 11:13 PM
I wish I could help, but I have no idea what would be going on. Im going to be rebuilding my velvet drive that is currently in many pieces with in the next few months. It came with my project 190. Ill be looking for peoples advice here. How can you tell which snap ring and o ring goes where? I have the manual, but its not very clear on sizes of the snap rings and such.

Kyle
06-22-2012, 01:48 AM
1983 190 PS 351 barn find in storage for 15 years. Trans needed 2000 rpm to engage but reverse engaged as normal. Disassemble, clean and rebuild. New front pump, all clutch discs and plates, seals, o-rings and gaskets. Bearings were good. Cleaned and reused clutch pistons ( actuators ) but they showed no wear. Hour meter shows 205 and works. First watertest today. Reverse engages promptly but foreward stall is still 1500 to 1800 rpm. Need real gearhead help here. Thanks

Have you tried shifting trans without the cable attached doing it by hand on the lever on tranny?

Fluid level?

Leaks?

The pump makes pressure and if it were bad reverse would be bad too. Have you removed the shift linkage and cleaned the internal piece that goes through the side of the tranny real good.

If the lever is not completely opening in forward then the fluid will bleed until pump pressure is high enough to engage clutch packs.

Try removing shift cable and engaging manually first then report back.

Kyle
06-22-2012, 01:53 AM
I wish I could help, but I have no idea what would be going on. Im going to be rebuilding my velvet drive that is currently in many pieces with in the next few months. It came with my project 190. Ill be looking for peoples advice here. How can you tell which snap ring and o ring goes where? I have the manual, but its not very clear on sizes of the snap rings and such.

Shop manual should have detailed instructions on what snap ring goes in what slot.

Rings should be stamped somewhere or new ones should have a painted band on them letting you know what the thickness is.

When I rebuilt mine the rings were idiot proof unless you can not follow a shop manual. I believe mine were color coated on the new ones. The old ones were worn down so much that the color had been worn off. Either way I remember looking into the same topic but when I got the rebuild kit, it was self explanatory.

Hope this helps

K

nkorep2
06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Shop manual should have detailed instructions on what snap ring goes in what slot.

Rings should be stamped somewhere or new ones should have a painted band on them letting you know what the thickness is.

When I rebuilt mine the rings were idiot proof unless you can not follow a shop manual. I believe mine were color coated on the new ones. The old ones were worn down so much that the color had been worn off. Either way I remember looking into the same topic but when I got the rebuild kit, it was self explanatory.

Hope this helps

K

Gotcha, that makes sense. Ill deal with that when the time comes I guess. Ill start with the motor. Should be picking it up on mon to start putting it back together.

lhkrueger
06-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Problem solved! Kyle was on to it and we got some good advice from Chris at Hale Marine. The foreward/reverse valve cylinder also contains the pressure relief valve which was siezed in a slightly open position allowing the pump pressure to bleed off. The larger reverse clutches engage much easier so reverse was not affected as much. Thanks to all.