PDA

View Full Version : Boat is running hot

bfinley
08-24-2005, 12:22 PM
My boat has recently been running a bit hot. Instead of 170ish, it's been pushing 180-190. I check the transmission cooler and the impeller, everything looked good - both are less than 1 year old. So I put the new thermostat in because that was looking pretty rough - but I'm still running hot. It's running at 180-190 and occasionally spikes to 200-205.

Could it be the water pump. How can I test the water pump to see if that's the problem?? I was also thinking it might be the flush pro I installed. Has anyone had problems with these getting clogged?

By the way, it's a 1992 ProSport 205 with the Ford 351.

Thanks in advance

BrianM
08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
How many hours since the impeller? If over 50 especially if it was stored in the housing over the winter you might want to replace it as sometimes they do not look worn but the vanes can get soft or a little out of shape and not pump as well. Is your belt tight? If it is slipping the water circulation pump may not be doing a good enough job of circulating the water.

woody
08-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Don't know that engine, but water pump on our 190 slowly looses rubber teeth. As teeth wear the amount of water pumped through drops. Have a look inside and if the impellor's worn replace it. If it looks all fine then guess its something else.

bfinley
08-24-2005, 01:26 PM
I replace the impeller this spring, and probalby have about 30 hours on it. I pulled it out and it looks good.

My hunch is that it is a problem with the water pump, but I'd like to test it before I buy one from SkiDim