PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Fin replacement

makins25
06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
I have a two part question for anyone who has bent a tracking fin. I have a severe bend (from a submerged log). Replacing it myself seems to be a pretty straight forward, the only tricky part is breaking the sealant right? My other concern is that I may have damaged something else. Everything looks fine from what I can see, but I'm getting a LOT of vibration. Can that result from just a severely bent tracking fin?

Thanks
Matt

jmw
06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
I dont think a bent tracking fin would cause severe vibration. Severe vibration is generally caused by a bent prop or shaft. The prop may not look that bad but if you compare the blades, I bet one or more are tweaked and that will cause a severe vibration. Same with a shaft but you most likely wont be able to see the shaft is bent with a naked eye.

Changing out the fin is straight forward. If you cannot pull it off easily a heat gun will help and I read about people using piano wire to slice between it and the hull. I had to change out a thruhull and used a heat gun.

Cloaked
06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
I dont think a bent tracking fin would cause severe vibration. Severe vibration is generally caused by a bent prop or shaft. The prop may not look that bad but if you compare the blades, I bet one or more are tweaked and that will cause a severe vibration. Same with a shaft but you most likely wont be able to see the shaft is bent with a naked eye.

Changing out the fin is straight forward. If you cannot pull it off easily a heat gun will help and I read about people using piano wire to slice between it and the hull. I had to change out a thruhull and used a heat gun.Correct...............
Second the motion; vibrations come from a dinged prop more so than the tracking fin. You will feel a bit of vibration but nothing severe.

If the vibe is in the fin, you'll feel it in the steering / tracking. If it's in the prop / driveline, you'll feel it in the hull / floorboard / and in your feet when on the floor.

I have bent more than I care to remember over the last bunch of years.... thus the correlation as described from my experience.