PDA

View Full Version : Riding Goofy make a difference on what board?

mzimme
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Looking to buy a wakeboard... and there's really never any mention of riding goofy or regular on any of the boards descriptions. I think I have the board I want narrowed down, but I don't know if it makes a difference that I do ride goofy. The board is the 2011 Ronix Vault, if anyone has some insight that'd be cool.

Thanks.

kgrove
06-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Looking to buy a wakeboard... and there's really never any mention of riding goofy or regular on any of the boards descriptions. I think I have the board I want narrowed down, but I don't know if it makes a difference that I do ride goofy. The board is the 2011 Ronix Vault, if anyone has some insight that'd be cool.

Thanks.

Every board I'm aware of is bi-directional meaning it doesn't have a front or back in order to be better for goofy or regular foot use. Some (and I think the Vault may be one) will have more pronounces channels and molded fins on the corner near your right toes to improve your toe-side edging, and since they don't know which direction you will mount the bindings they have those on two opposite corners.

So long story short - wakeboards don't care whether you are regular or goofy. They work going both directions.

mzimme
06-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Excellent. Thanks.

swatguy
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
There are a few directional ones made. You can ride them goofy or regular tho, but the graphic will be upside down so to speak . These boards are designed to help the toeside cut and pop be easier. Hyper lite has one don't recall the name and the other is the Ronix Vault. Other than that they all go both ways

onewheat
06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
There are a few directional ones made. You can ride them goofy or regular tho, but the graphic will be upside down so to speak . These boards are designed to help the toeside cut and pop be easier. Hyper lite has one don't recall the name and the other is the Ronix Vault. Other than that they all go both ways

The Hyperlite State is Toe/Heel side directional (larger molded in fins on the toe side) - so the way you mount the boots is specified, but as the others said - all boards should be non-directional as it pertains to regular/goofy riding.

kgrove
06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
The Hyperlite State is Toe/Heel side directional (larger molded in fins on the toe side) - so the way you mount the boots is specified, but as the others said - all boards should be non-directional as it pertains to regular/goofy riding.

Good correction. Vault and State are similar boards - enlarged toe side fins, but they are the same enlarged fins on both corners so that riding goofy or regular doesn't matter. I used to ride a State and still have one for my kids. For awhile I screwed up and had minted the boots facing the wrong direction so I had larger heelside fins instead of toeside fins. Frankly I really couldn't tell very much difference. I'm sure the asymmetrical design helps a little, but I didn't find it dramatic or in my case even noticeable. I think they are both very good beginner to intermediate boards less because of the asymmetrical aspect and more because of the moderated approach on the rocker, rails, shape, etc. Great boards to start with as they are still good enough to last you through intermediate stages.

mlawler34
06-20-2012, 05:56 PM
I have the 2011 Ronix Vault and ride Goofy. Has been great so far. As mentioned above just be sure to mount your toe side on the specified toe side of the board.

swatguy
06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Probably didn't explain it well, the directional meant you just had to make sure u mounted it goofy or regular in order to fit the board specs with the toeside shape. It's not directional in the sense like an old skurfer

76S&S
06-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Good correction. Vault and State are similar boards - enlarged toe side fins, but they are the same enlarged fins on both corners so that riding goofy or regular doesn't matter. I used to ride a State and still have one for my kids. For awhile I screwed up and had minted the boots facing the wrong direction so I had larger heelside fins instead of toeside fins. Frankly I really couldn't tell very much difference. I'm sure the asymmetrical design helps a little, but I didn't find it dramatic or in my case even noticeable. I think they are both very good beginner to intermediate boards less because of the asymmetrical aspect and more because of the moderated approach on the rocker, rails, shape, etc. Great boards to start with as they are still good enough to last you through intermediate stages.

I think the B-side is directional as well.

barry1me
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I ride goofy on a 2012 CWB 141 pure and have no issue with it.