PDA

View Full Version : 2011 X2 Gas Gauge

cmike
06-19-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm having issues with my gauge.... it never reads full and will fluctuate between 1/4 tank and 3/4 tank even after I've filled it full. Anyone with similar issues regarding the fuel gauge?

Lucky26
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes, I have exactly the same issue on 2012 model. Took boat in last week for 20 hour and they pulled sensor and found no problem. I guess I am going to just keep track of hours and amount used and go from there.

cav14
06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Lucky if I were you I would definitely have the dealership replace that. Brand new boat and you're having to count hours to keep track of how much gas you have? That's whack. Get it taken care of while it's still under warranty.

FancySauceRules
06-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Mine is same way. However it reads the correct level of gas when on plane. I assumed that's what it was designed to do. If not, it works for me anyway.

Lucky26
06-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Lucky if I were you I would definitely have the dealership replace that. Brand new boat and you're having to count hours to keep track of how much gas you have? That's whack. Get it taken care of while it's still under warranty.

I fully agree. I was agrivated by the whole thing, but it seems that many people are having the same issues. I will get it replaced next service none the less.

bturner2
06-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Boat gas (and ballast) gauges have always been notorious for their inaccuracy, at least on all the boats I've owned. This is mainly due to the shape of tanks and the environment they operate in. Unlike your car that typically has a relatively flat rectangular shape and sits flat and level most of the time boat tanks tend to take the shape of the hull and are constantly driven at various angles during operation. There are adjustment screws on the sending unit which will allow you to calibrate the gauge some but I always do a visual check before going on any extended cruise where I think current capacity might be a issue.

On a new boat I would expect the dealer to make these adjustments for me but as with so many other things in life sometimes it's better to just do them yourself if you want it done right.

Lucky26
06-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Boat gas (and ballast) gauges have always been notorious for their inaccuracy, at least on all the boats I've owned. This is mainly due to the shape of tanks and the environment they operate in. Unlike your car that typically has a relatively flat rectangular shape and sits flat and level most of the time boat tanks tend to take the shape of the hull and are constantly driven at various angles during operation. There are adjustment screws on the sending unit which will allow you to calibrate the gauge some but I always do a visual check before going on any extended cruise where I think current capacity might be a issue.

On a new boat I would expect the dealer to make these adjustments for me but as with so many other things in life sometimes it's better to just do them yourself if you want it done right.

Do I have to remove sending unit for adjustment screws or are they on the top of the tank? Due to the density of the tank I cannot see fuel level in tank. A manual guage on tank top would be great.

bturner2
06-20-2012, 09:16 AM
There should be two screws on the top of the sending unit. One is to adjust full the other empty (the set points for both ends of the gauge sweep). There should be some posts on here somewhere on the exact procedure. The basics as I remember them would be to pull the gauge and let it sit so that it the gas evaporates and is fairly dry. This will simulate empty. With the key on adjust the low limit screw so the gauge show just empty. Assuming the tank is full replace the sending unit and adjust the high limit screw so that the gas gauge reads full. That should be about it. I'm sure there are better instructions out there somewhere or you could call/write the manufacture for the proper procedure.

MattsCraft
06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
If it is anything like mine, it is off by about 10 gallons or 1/4 tank to the good. When sitting mine is off by 1/4, so full shows 3/4 tank, when on plane it is closer to accurate or actual level. I think this is done so you don't let it drop below 1/4 tank.

Cobra Rob
06-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Mine just seems to always show full now.. yet for some reason I can get 60-70 gals in the tank after a weekend :confused:

willyt
06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
If it is anything like mine, it is off by about 10 gallons or 1/4 tank to the good. When sitting mine is off by 1/4, so full shows 3/4 tank, when on plane it is closer to accurate or actual level. I think this is done so you don't let it drop below 1/4 tank.

my 07 star does the same thing. i thought we were on fumes pulling into a marina last week (gauge said E). Filled up and apparently still had about 12 gallons left in the tank.

MattsCraft
06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
So there you go, standard boating rule, 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 reserve. Takes the guess work out of the equation. Hardest thing on a boat is fuel gauge accuracy, sitting, on plane rocking etc. On my boat at least, easy to check, pull the rear seats and tranny access panel and look:rolleyes: when your gauge reads empty.

davidstan
06-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Mine does this also fwiw

Jarome
06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I have had mine checked by the dealer and still reads the same.. the 1/3 rule is a good one.