PDA

View Full Version : 1979 S&S Refurb Question

ScrewPull
06-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I have a 1979 S&S that needs a little TLC in terms of appearance. In all honesty, I can likely get another year or two out of it, but I am thinking about having it done over this next off-season.

I originally planned on buffing, etc, and spent much time researching what I needed to do, but the stripe is metalflake, which is actually protruding from the gelcoat, so my original plan won't work.

That said, can anyone tell me about what I'll spend having the boat restored to it's original beauty? I showed it to a guy not long ago who basically told me he'd buff it, clean it with some solution to get any yellowing out of the hull, and wax it for like $4000. I thought that sounded a bit ridiculous, but I have no experience with this. I think a guy told me it would cost about 3/4 that price for a full resto (just exterior).

The interior is fine and the boat runs like a top, so the only thing I'm looking to do is the gelcoat and very minimal fiberglass work.

sam196370
06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
I have a '79 SNS which I feel needs a new gelcoat as well. Had it detailed yesterday ($225)and I also tried applying a coat of 3M cleaner/wax but couldn't get rid of the oxidation on the sides. Wax definitely helped.

The sides look PERFECT from the windshield forward, probably because the area is not as exposed to the sun. Was hoping some wax would give the oxidized sides a similar shine but it probably needs new gelcoat -I would be interested in hearing an approximate price as well.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Wet Sanding* will probably cure most of your oxidation problems there are several threads detailing how to do it.

(I was a victim of auto-correct)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

thatsmrmastercraft
06-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Wet Samsung will probably cure most of your oxidation problems there are several threads detailing how to do it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I believe that was meant to say "wet sanding". Gotta love auto-correct.:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
06-21-2012, 10:56 AM
I have a 1979 S&S that needs a little TLC in terms of appearance. In all honesty, I can likely get another year or two out of it, but I am thinking about having it done over this next off-season.

I originally planned on buffing, etc, and spent much time researching what I needed to do, but the stripe is metalflake, which is actually protruding from the gelcoat, so my original plan won't work.

That said, can anyone tell me about what I'll spend having the boat restored to it's original beauty? I showed it to a guy not long ago who basically told me he'd buff it, clean it with some solution to get any yellowing out of the hull, and wax it for like $4000. I thought that sounded a bit ridiculous, but I have no experience with this. I think a guy told me it would cost about 3/4 that price for a full resto (just exterior).

The interior is fine and the boat runs like a top, so the only thing I'm looking to do is the gelcoat and very minimal fiberglass work.

americanskierjim restored an LTD with the same issue with the metal flake coming through. You will find his efforts really paid off in this thread.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33649

ScrewPull
06-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys. I'll read through Jim's thread.

79_SnS_atl
07-07-2012, 09:54 PM
We are talking about that very topic in The MasterCraft Project.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/102832819752389/