PDA

View Full Version : Ski locker with oily bilge water

jss101
08-24-2005, 11:22 AM
This season is my first with my new :) (used 2000) Mastercraft Pro V 205, which I absolutely love. However, it seems that the ski locker in the floor gets greasy water in it, making it, ah, lets say less than desireable to put your best skis in it. :( They get gooped up. I think it's engine oil. I don't seem to be leaking any oil otherwise.

Have others seen this problem? What have you done about it?
Thanks. Otherwise I just love this boat.

pmack
08-24-2005, 11:39 AM
The same thing happened in my '02 Maristar, but only after I had the oil changed. I think some got spilled and migrated into the locker. I'm wondering how to get it out too.

Danimal
08-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Mines the same. Not too bad but I still don't like it. I was wondering if there is some solvent that can be poured into the compartment that would break it up and then bilge it out. Anyone else have this problem and/or have a solution?

Cary K.
08-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Pour some dish soap (like Dawn that gets grease out of the way) into the bilge, the spray it down with a water hose. Don't get it high enough to get onto the engine or electrical components though. Raise trailer up and down a few times to slosh it around good, then pull plug and rinse out with clean water. Repeat as necessary.

jss101
08-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks. I ended up using a bilge cleaner product to do much the same. It is annoying, though. This weekend I put a piece of plywood in there so the ski locker kind of had a false bottom. That way the skis stayed dry and the liquid could slosh around underneath the plywood. It must have been triggered by the oil change. pmack above said the same thing.

J. Patterson
08-24-2005, 08:19 PM
We use liquid dish washing soap for ski binding lube. So it is always handy. Whenever I trailer my boat ( three or four times a year) I put about 10 gal of water in the bilge, and add a cup or two of Dawn, or Palmolive ect. On a hot day the water gets quite warm. That makes it cut grease better. A few miles of trailering sloshes it all around. My boat is a 1990 model . When I pump the bilge, it is always clean as a new penny! I'd like to have one of those 205 V s . Wanna trade for a Tri-Star with a clean bilge? :)

J. Patterson
Trussville, AL

AirJunky
08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
So where is everyone putting this oily water?

J. Patterson
08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
The politically correct answer would be . I catch it in a bucket and send it to the sanitary sewer. ;)
Of course if you DON'T clean your bilge, the nasty stuff floats on the water and gets pumped to the lake anyway when your bilge pump runs. The boat is just a lot nicer when you use the soap.

J. Patterson

Hoosier Bob
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
The oily water is dumped at the launch in some Snail Darter pools! I always put a couple squirts of Dawn in the bilge. The soap keeps the bilge free of more than oil. Oil is not a problem unless someone has spilled some during an oilchange (or a leak?). The soap tends to keep the bilge clean from the already nasty two stroke fishing boat water we all ski, swim and well you know, in! :toast:
PS. What is the cost of a Snail Darter at the local sushi bar these days? I am more worried about where my trash goes or even where my $%*&! goes when I flush! :mad:

east tx skier
08-24-2005, 10:40 PM
My 205 is of the older variety, but has the same floor locker. I get water in there from time to time and if left standing, it gets sort of oogie. I figured it was water slime. There's a drain from the locker to the bilge, but I never figured it was engine oil. I put some rubber matting down there. When I pulled it at season's end, it was nasty on the bottom. I just put the cooler or the combos in there nowadays.

milkmania
08-24-2005, 10:45 PM
the dish soap things will do wonders....
I was watching a documentary on the oil fires and subsequent oil in water endangering the waterfoul in Kuwait.
They used dish soap to clean the birds, but also noted the soap destroyed the birds natural oils.
One Kuwait motel owner allowed them to put the birds in his swimming pool for a couple of weeks, until the birds natural oils were rejuvanated.

kinda sorta a threadjack, but at least I kept with the dish soap subject:D

Hoosier Bob
08-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Remind me next time I am skiing in Kuwait to make sure I have plenty of dish soap! Oh yeah, and my tap shoes! :D the dish soap things will do wonders....
I was watching a documentary on the oil fires and subsequent oil in water endangering the waterfoul in Kuwait.
They used dish soap to clean the birds, but also noted the soap destroyed the birds natural oils.
One Kuwait motel owner allowed them to put the birds in his swimming pool for a couple of weeks, until the birds natural oils were rejuvanated.

kinda sorta a threadjack, but at least I kept with the dish soap subject:D

jss101
09-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks everybody. I guess I got my answer! Everybody seems to have this problem a little, and the solution is to wash it out with soap every once and a while. I guess I can live with that. By the way... I hand pumped the greasy water out and disposed of it far from the lake. I couldn't bear to have the bilge pump empty it into the lake I ski in!!

Leroy
09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I pulled out the two skis last week from the bottom of the locker and the bottoms of the skis were really slick! Couldn't tell if it was oil or just lake slime!

Good job on the disposal!

Jerseydave
09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I was getting water in my ski locker from the center bilge. The plastic around the drain plug was letting the water in (test yours with a garden hose.) It had no gasket or sealer of any kind.

I removed it and sealed it with clear silicone, my ski locker is now dry as a bone!

Oily water should not be getting into your ski locker! Fix it and you'll be a happy camper! :D

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I get that in the cooler that is in the front of the bilge. I usually use the wet vac to suck it out. Never put drinks in there cause the cans always come out really nasty.