PDA

View Full Version : Trailer drag - help!

itch2ski
06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
So I lake tested and bought my new (to me) boat last night. Pretty stoked! Got home and backing it into the driveway we have a huge change in slope. I figured I would drag some, but nothing like this! To span the gap I had to use 14 foot 2x8s with cinderblocks under them!

My question - how much weight can the prop guard handle?
I was thinking of custom mounting some larger casters and using those to roll on. The only problem is both my trailer tires (single axle PS205) would be completely off the ground for 5-10 feet.

The only other option I can think of is to buy some large car hauler ramps and put them out when I come and go with the boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Sounds like a huge change in slope. A picture would go a long way. Do you have a proper height for your hitch?

Ski-me
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
I had the exact problem....but on a freshly poured driveway. I added some skid wheels and it solved the problem perfectly! Every time I leave my driveway, the entire boat is supported by the two skid wheels and I've had no problems what so ever!

I'll look for the thead for you and post back.

Here you go....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34915&highlight=skid+wheel&page=2

east tx skier
06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Drag wheels will work fine. I can't imagine that the trailer tires will be completely off the ground though. Might just raise up on the springs a bit. I'd suggest some poly wheels, even though they're not as pretty as the little steel draggers. I have had both and the steel wheels score up the driveway pretty badly. I now have poly wheels and they have held up well for 5 years and the driveway is no worse for the wear.

My driveway.

h2oskifreak
06-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Put 2" blocks (welded) in between my axel and springs. Hasn't draged since.

Philscbx
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
I have the problem - just haven't got around to it the cure -
The option I'm looking at is installing GoodYear AirBags to raise it 6".

The only way so far - is crab one tire onto the grass next to the driveway that raises the one wheel enough so when the other wheel just gets on the street - crank the steering hard while the other one is just getting off the grass - then onto the street.

Backing in to duplicate - is the challenge.

itch2ski
06-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I had the exact problem....but on a freshly poured driveway. I added some skid wheels and it solved the problem perfectly! Every time I leave my driveway, the entire boat is supported by the two skid wheels and I've had no problems what so ever!

I'll look for the thead for you and post back.

Here you go....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34915&highlight=skid+wheel&page=2

Looks like what I need. Where did you get the skid wheels and what weight rating do they have? Do you remember what it cost to have a welder throw the mounts on? Thanks.

Ski-me
06-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Updated: *******

Skid wheel install cost - $175.42 (Welding to trailer).

4" Diameter Poly Caster wheels (including shipping) - $86.56 (DHM Trailers in California - but out of business I guess).

I placed them about 1" below the skid bar and have had no problems marking up our concrete.

itch2ski
06-19-2012, 06:25 PM
What did you repaint the prop guard with after the welding?

mtajpa
06-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Updated: *******

Skid wheel install cost - $175.42 (Welding to trailer).

4" Diameter Poly Caster wheels (including shipping) - $86.56 (DHM Trailers in California - but out of business I guess).

I placed them about 1" below the skid bar and have had no problems marking up our concrete.

Only the name has changed. I bought these.
https://caltrailerworks.com/online/product.php?productid=1368&cat=161&page=1

Ski-me
06-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Only the name has changed. I bought these.
https://caltrailerworks.com/online/product.php?productid=1368&cat=161&page=1

Those are the ones....thanks! I looked a little last night and found that site but couldn't navigate to the wheels. I see they are 5" so I also measured mine last night. Sure enough, I actually have 5" wheels rather than 4".

I saw the same things on a few threads at PlanetNautique where some of the guys showed another bracket that bolted up to the angled bar. Don't know if it's available or not but it did look pretty good.

Ski-me
06-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Here is the paint color I found that matched pretty close to the original trailer. Keep in mind that I ultimately powedercoated my trailer afterwards so that's why it matches so nicely.....

Benjamin Moore Metal Enamel (spray cans) in Linen White.

east tx skier
06-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't let the wheels hang down too far below the prop guard. Just enough to beat it to bottoming out is sufficient.

itch2ski
06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the info, I think I am going to go with the skid wheels. Having to put ramps out everytime sounds like a pain. My main concern was whether the trailer could handle all the weight being on the skid wheels for a short period of time. Would rather go to the trouble of setting out ramps than damage my trailer, but it sounds like I should be ok.

mayo93prostar
06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
You can also raise the axle with the steel blocks and longer u-bolts from caltrailer. that is what i did and it solved my dragging problem.

Ski-me
06-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Don't let the wheels hang down too far below the prop guard. Just enough to beat it to bottoming out is sufficient.

I set mine 3/4" to 1" below the skid bar and works great.

Thanks for all the info, I think I am going to go with the skid wheels. Having to put ramps out everytime sounds like a pain. My main concern was whether the trailer could handle all the weight being on the skid wheels for a short period of time. Would rather go to the trouble of setting out ramps than damage my trailer, but it sounds like I should be ok.

I've had no problems each time I pull it out of the garage and the trailer tires do actually get "airborn" each time I pull in and out of the driveway.

Note though, when you back up into the garage again, disconnect the trailer brake hydraulics so you are not pushing on the trailer's brakes.

FrankSchwab
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Also, check the height of your hitch. If it's too high, it'll cause the prop guard to drag way too much. Best bet is to set it so the frame of the trailer is level (or perhaps slightly bow low) when you're sitting on level ground hitched to the truck.

/frank

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Also, check the height of your hitch. If it's too high, it'll cause the prop guard to drag way too much. Best bet is to set it so the frame of the trailer is level (or perhaps slightly bow low) when you're sitting on level ground hitched to the truck.

/frank

Be careful of having the bow too low. With a loaded truck, the bow will already be low and a heavy rain can fill the boat. Just sayin'

nitro5238
06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
l was having pretty much the same scraping problem.....l went to Northern Tool and purchased two new springs that were a little shorter. This in turn caused my trailer to raise up almost two inches higher. Not technically a hard job just make sure to soak those bolts first ...l knew l needed to but was impatient as usual and didn't and it took a "little" longer than it should have. By the way the set only cost $60 bucks.

GoneBoatN
06-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Drag wheels will work fine. I can't imagine that the trailer tires will be completely off the ground though. Might just raise up on the springs a bit. I'd suggest some poly wheels, even though they're not as pretty as the little steel draggers. I have had both and the steel wheels score up the driveway pretty badly. I now have poly wheels and they have held up well for 5 years and the driveway is no worse for the wear.

My driveway.

Eastie, where did you get the poly wheels? I have the steel wheels and sure enough the score the driveway. Thanks much in advance!

itch2ski
07-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Well, I came up with a temporary solution. I found some steel wheels with bearings so they roll nice and smooth, only cost me $2 each at a random item warehouse. My neighbor works at a steel mill as a welder so he whipped up a dolly I can just attach to the prop guard when I pull in and out of the driveway. I plan to do the permanent poly casters during the offseason, just didn't want to rush it and mess up my new (to me) trailer. I wanted a temporary solution that would get me on the lake this season and this works perfect. All it cost was $8 for wheels and a favor from a neighbor that will be returned by taking him to the lake.

ash_flat_diesel
07-13-2012, 06:34 PM
With the way your trailer is made, you could French those wheels in the bottom.

itch2ski
07-15-2012, 03:19 AM
With the way your trailer is made, you could French those wheels in the bottom.

Not sure I understand what you mean???

ash_flat_diesel
07-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Cut a square hole in the bottom tube recess the wheel inside. Angle brackets on the sides to support the "axle" shouldn't even see it when done

Montaruli
08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
https://caltrailerworks.com/online/home.php?cat=161

Does anyone know how this angle compares to the on a MC trailer? 93 single axle

russlars
08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
https://caltrailerworks.com/online/home.php?cat=161

Does anyone know how this angle compares to the on a MC trailer? 93 single axle
Not sure about a MC trailer but these work great on my DHM trailer. I bought the bolt on brackets and installed them myself.

east tx skier
08-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Eastie, where did you get the poly wheels? I have the steel wheels and sure enough the score the driveway. Thanks much in advance!

Sorry for the late reply, but I got them from Dorsey Trailers. No longer in business, but they are nothing special. Check tractor supply. Mine are big, green, and ugly. But they are very functional.

Montaruli
08-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Not sure about a MC trailer but these work great on my DHM trailer. I bought the bolt on brackets and installed them myself.

Russlars: do you think you could measure the angle of your prop guard as I think it's a problem a lot of us face.

Cheers

russlars
08-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Russlars: do you think you could measure the angle of your prop guard as I think it's a problem a lot of us face.

Cheers
Since your trailer could be different then mine why don't you measure yours and call California Trailer Works and see if the angles match up.

tph
08-08-2012, 12:31 PM
I've also found that adjusting the trailer height at the ball helps. I use this adjustable hitch and a cordless drill with a 3/8' square drive. Just drop the hitch height when entering or exiting the driveway.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I solved this problem by going one size taller on my trailer tires. I had the room, so it was a no-brainer.