PDA

View Full Version : Gas Etiquette??

O2BESOHUGE
06-19-2012, 11:16 AM
How Do You Guys Politely Put The Gas Situation To Your Friends On Your Boat?

Ive Seen The Signs "the Boat Runs On Gas - Not Thanks!"

What Do You Guys Do? If I Invite Them, I Know I Foot The Bill. But Every Weekend?

Jay

mzimme
06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't charge girls. The guys I bring on my boat I have no problem with asking for money... but I've known them all for a while and it's nothing new. Of course, filling my 20 gallon tank isn't going to put me under for the month, but I'm generally "paid" in things like people buying my dinners, beer, ice, soda, water, random snacks, etc.

I'd have an entirely different mindset if I was dumping 45 gallons of fuel into the thing twice a weekend, however.

Playing hookie Prostar 190
06-19-2012, 11:31 AM
I just have them bring something to grill or beverages to share. It may not work out totally even in the end but you have spotters and people to help paddle when you run out of gas. lol
Im thinking of getting a decal that reads "all gas donations excepted" or gas, grass, or *** no one rides for free.

Sodar
06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
My opinion....

If those people were not on the boat with me, I would not be out on the water. If I was out on the water alone, I would be footing the bill myself. Therefore, gas is a cost of owning the boat... just like storage and maintenance. Anything given is appreciated, but not expected or required.

ntidsl
06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
I hate taking money but if anyone ever pulls me on a course and we are on his boat I bring a 5 gallon bucket of gas...cash cannot be put in the tank...

whirli
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM
We rotate boats, doesn't always work out equally but it should be pretty close. My boat is a slalom boat, so when i go boarding i'll bring down a 7 gal can of gas every other time out. I don't board as much as the owner of the boat, and he skis behind mine, so i think it all works. out.

Double D
06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
My brother and I rotate the costs. His boat, his gas and I furnish the snacks and drinks. My boat, its vice versa.

Anyone else gets a free ride, unless it gets to be out of hand...

02ProstarSammyD
06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
I have a buddy who usually pokes people about gas money so I don't have to be the mean boat owner. He's nice about it, gets me from being the bad guy, and if they don't comply then they don't come back.

Standard on my boat for a full day trip

10 bucks to be dead weight on the boat
20 if your riding one or 2 sets
30 or so if you are taking sets all day long (never happens due to headcount)

I usually supply ice, gas, a cooler, boards, and keep stuff like sunscreen etc in the boat.

Another thing I do is fill up on the way to the lake. This shows everyone I'm dumping a bill into the boat for the day and it all adds up in their minds.

kgrove
06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Another thing I do is fill up on the way to the lake. This shows everyone I'm dumping a bill into the boat for the day and it all adds up in their minds.

I combine the above with the attitude that gas is part of the cost to own a boat. I'm just happy to have people able to come with me and if they pay for gas or my lunch, it's great but not expected. I suppose I could feel differently if I had the same set of freeloaders multiple times per week and they never saw fit to do anything for me... I'd feel a little used.

02ProstarSammyD
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I combine the above with the attitude that gas is part of the cost to own a boat. I'm just happy to have people able to come with me and if they pay for gas or my lunch, it's great but not expected. I suppose I could feel differently if I had the same set of freeloaders multiple times per week and they never saw fit to do anything for me... I'd feel a little used.

Most of my friends make sure we have over the gas bill per trip to cover part of the expense too. My friends that ride regularly realize a 350 dollar payment x12 months+gas+insurance+boards all adds up. Must be us being young/poor. I don't make enough to fit everyones gas bill nor would I ever intend to

thatsmrmastercraft
06-19-2012, 12:35 PM
My opinion....

If those people were not on the boat with me, I would not be out on the water. If I was out on the water alone, I would be footing the bill myself. Therefore, gas is a cost of owning the boat... just like storage and maintenance. Anything given is appreciated, but not expected or required.

Agreed. This way it's much less likely to cause an ulcer than expecting someone to cough up some gas money.

pram
06-19-2012, 12:42 PM
We have a family that spends nearly the same amount of time on our boat as we do, they pay gas money and rightfully so IMO

when it is a given that sat at 10 we are meeting at my house to head to the lake for a day

I pay for everything else

Other friends that come out only once in a while I wouldn't accept money from nor ask for it

02ProstarSammyD
06-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Can you guys send me some free gas while you are at it?

madcityskier
06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
My opinion....

X2. If people want to do something fine. I'm happier if they respond by returning the favor, or invite the family over for dinner or some such thing.

scott023
06-19-2012, 01:05 PM
My opinion....

My thoughts exactly.

scott023
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
]Most of my friends make sure we have over the gas bill per trip to cover part of the expense too. My friends that ride regularly realize a 350 dollar payment x12 months+gas+insurance+boards all adds up[/B]. Must be us being young/poor. I don't make enough to fit everyones gas bill nor would I ever intend to

Our friends are the same. Most of the time I'm finding myself pushing money back onto people because they've gone overboard with what they want to give...

JulioX2
06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Depends on your situation. But in my case, the guys that regurlarly come riding help with the cost of fuel. Girls and newbies don't pay. I don't expect it, but if they want to contribute whatever they are comfortable with. I'm good with that.

ScrewPull
06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
My boat doesn't cost all that much to run. However, if a person isn't considerate enough to offer after several times on the boat, then I start to wonder. I would say it's a case by case basis, too. I have a buddy who's been down on his luck for a long time. I've loaned him large sums of money and am happy to take him on my boat and don't ask for any gas money. Most of my friends will buy beer, or whatever. Never has been an issue.

What bother's me more than anything is a guest's behavior while on my boat. I have two friends (they date one another) who are heavy drinkers. They get drunk and fight and that's when I lose my cool, big time. My boat is a tool I use to relax, and when I have a couple of idiots screaming at one another, I freak out and become the "A-hole." But I could care less.

BMcD
06-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Great question,

Before the price of gas jumped above $5/gallon on the lake, I too took the position that I would be out riding regardless of the headcount, so gas is just part of the joy of ownership.

However, I noticed after a single visit to the gas dock, one hot summer day, with a boat full of people, that watching the dials spin on the pump, breaking $100, then $200, then $300, then $400, riders wallets started to loosen. I never asked for money, but every trip out since has had people offering up cash. I guess filling up the 90 gallon tank in the X45 was an eye-opener for many... including the gas dock guys that thought there must be a hole in the tank.

Deep in my heart though I will always feel that if you have to worry about the gas, boating is going to be a challenging recreation.

BMcD

Day1 (http://www.liveday1.com) Wakesurfers

JulioX2
06-19-2012, 01:53 PM
^^^ They sounds like party poopers! Why would you bring people onboard that would cause drama and ruin your time on the boat?

itch2ski
06-19-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree with Sodar, anything given is appreciated, but not expected. Whenever I go on others boats I make sure to be generous with gas money (along with wiping down the boat and anything else I can do), thats a good way to get invited back. If people want to do the same when I take them out I will gladly accept their contribution and invite them out again. We all know this isn't a cheap activity.

02ProstarSammyD
06-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Deep in my heart though I will always feel that if you have to worry about the gas, boating is going to be a challenging recreation
It always is but some of us don't have x45 money but still want to be on the water. Not all of us roll in a 80k boat. If I had that kind of cash I wouldn't stress it either. I don't have one problem taking my friends out and fitting the bill to go out to a cove, swim, and drink some beer but when you start taking 30 min sets on someone elses boat you are no longer just hanging out. I wouldn't take 10 of my friends to the movies 2x a weekend and say.....cool guys I got this you guys want popcorn too?

If I was out on the water alone, I would be footing the bill myself
Honestly if it were just yourself would you burn anywhere near the gas? Burning 35 gallons a day x2 x 4bucks a pop=280 bucks a weekend. Yea I'm not seeing myself burning up a 1200 dollar gas bill alone

tideengineer
06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Me and the guys go twice during the week for a few hours and then the weekend...During the week usually one or two of us take a 5 gallon can each to the lake....same for the weekend, they all know it's cost to have fun. Usually the weekend I take 10 gallons and my other friends/nephews will bring a 5 gallon can each....it all works out.

bkblaida
06-19-2012, 02:09 PM
We vacation with friends several times a year...we own the ski boat, one family owns a runabout, one enjoys both boats.....The first day we all put $100 into the gas envelope and when that is gone we all put in another $100. We keep the pattern going until the last couple of days. Than we all put in $50. At the end of the trip the remaining dollars are divided up equally between the boat owners. This has worked for years with many different friends and families and because all are putting something into the pot, the boat owners have no misgivings about pulling everyone who wants to ski, tube, board etc. and our guests are open about requesting that second or third time behind the boat.

The approach before the trip is simple....we just come right out and say "this is how we handle the cost of gas" and explain the process. The beer and hot dogs guests bring are always appreciated, however it still costs us over $100 to fill the tank, not including the gas to get to the lake.

73blue
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't ask for gas money, and I don't accept it from girls ( not much of an issue anyway), but I do appreciate it. And as someone else said, I notice who is considerate and who isn't. I have a couple buddies that aren't too well off, no problem. They always help with the boat, lend a hand if the dock gets busy while they're here (I run the boat dock), etc. Another guy who used to ride with me a lot (key words:used to) never offered up anything, even if others were making a point of chipping in. He also sat like a slug when docking, wiping down, or anything else. He would also bug me constantly about coming out. Now the only time he gets a call is as a last resort, if no one else is available and I'm desperate.

CantRepeat
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
I never ask and often refuse any kind of cash. I'd rather you just bring a 12 pack, something for the grill and just respect my wishes about your conduct while on my boat.

scott023
06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Great question,

Before the price of gas jumped above $5/gallon on the lake, I too took the position that I would be out riding regardless of the headcount, so gas is just part of the joy of ownership.

However, I noticed after a single visit to the gas dock, one hot summer day, with a boat full of people, that watching the dials spin on the pump, breaking $100, then $200, then $300, then $400, riders wallets started to loosen. I never asked for money, but every trip out since has had people offering up cash. I guess filling up the 90 gallon tank in the X45 was an eye-opener for many... including the gas dock guys that thought there must be a hole in the tank.
Deep in my heart though I will always feel that if you have to worry about the gas, boating is going to be a challenging recreation.

BMcD

Been there, I've seen those faces myself. :D

madcityskier
06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
It always is but some of us don't have x45 money but still want to be on the water. Not all of us roll in a 80k boat. If I had that kind of cash I wouldn't stress it either. I don't have one problem taking my friends out and fitting the bill to go out to a cove, swim, and drink some beer but when you start taking 30 min sets on someone elses boat you are no longer just hanging out. I wouldn't take 10 of my friends to the movies 2x a weekend and say.....cool guys I got this you guys want popcorn too?

Honestly if it were just yourself would you burn anywhere near the gas? Burning 35 gallons a day x2 x 4bucks a pop=280 bucks a weekend. Yea I'm not seeing myself burning up a 1200 dollar gas bill alone

I've never been to a theater that required me to bring a third on my date to act as an observer.
We are all in unique situations, as are the guests we invite. What works for me may be way off base for you and your situation. If I was running a large boat full of ballast and burning tons of gas I might change my tune. Also, I pay, so my rules. PFD's all around, no alcohol til after. I've seen many rides go bad, so we don't start on what can easily lead to a large problem, or more often exacerbate what would have been a minor one.

scott023
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I never ask and often refuse any kind of cash. I'd rather you just bring a 12 pack, something for the grill and just respect my wishes about your conduct while on my boat.

Whoa whoa whoa. You don't condone surfing after dark, but drinking brews on board is ok? ;)

scott023
06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
I've never been to a theater that required me to bring a third on my date to act as an observer. We are all in unique situations, as are the guests we invite. What works for me may be way off base for you and your situation. If I was running a large boat full of ballast and burning tons of gas I might change my tune. Also, I pay, so my rules. PFD's all around, no alcohol til after. I've seen many rides go bad, so we don't start on what can easily lead to a large problem, or more often exacerbate what would have been a minor one.

That made me spit my water out. Thanks.

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

ScrewPull
06-19-2012, 02:46 PM
^^^ They sounds like party poopers! Why would you bring people onboard that would cause drama and ruin your time on the boat?

They won't be coming on the boat again.

02ProstarSammyD
06-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Not even in college? Honestly though I haven't gone to the lake with 3 people in forever. If I go 2 its with a female to runabout.
If I was running a large boat full of ballast and burning tons of gas I might change my tune.
Now I will change my tune on this. if its 4 people going for late set during the week lets roll but I run roughly 1500-2k of weight and 8-10 people. And I don't expect anything from single women. The wives on the boat are traditionally as useless as crap flavored chewing gum.

barefoot
06-19-2012, 02:58 PM
I haven't had a lot of new people on my boat that the issue would need to come up....

We rotate boats with people I do ski with. That helps keeps things on the level.

With new people, first outing is my treat. Girls never pay. Guys should contribute beer, food, gas, or cash. I don't ask for it, but if it becomes an issue, I stop inviting them.

east tx skier
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Most often, the people we ski with are also boat owners. So we have an understanding that we're trading sets. And I have asked one of the other boat owners if he would prefer cash or just that we get into a boat rotation when we ski. He said boat rotation.

If there were people who were regulars in the rotation, but didn't offer up their boat or never coughed up money or otherwise contributed something to the common good of skiing and being on the water (monetary or otherwise), I suppose I might be less likely to invite them out if it was bothering me.

But like Sodar said, if you wouldn't be on the water if they weren't there, then they are contributing to your enjoyment of your boat. Nonetheless, you could always have them ride to the lake with you and stop at the gas station on your way to the lake. If they don't volunteer to get gas, send them inside for beer and food while you pump the gas.

shepherd
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I have to pay "friends" to come out on my boat, not vice versa! :(

pmkkdx
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
It varies somewhat for us. Most of the time we have friends out just for a nice afternoon on the lake and I don't expect them to even offer, even if its a weekend of just pleasure cruising with minimal skiing/boarding/surfing from time to time ... then if they offer, I sometimes will take them up depending on who they are (some of my friends can't afford it, some can).

On the other hand, my son really can't afford it when he takes our boat out with his friends and none of them help with gas money ... so he brings the boat home, puts it away sitting on fumes for the next time, then I have to dump $80-$120 in for gas he & his friends used on their previous outing. That has been quite drastically limited as of late.

CantRepeat
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. You don't condone surfing after dark, but drinking brews on board is ok? ;)

Hey wise@ss, unlike some people I can have a few beers and social drink. I know when I've had to much and we care breath analyzers on the boat.

When I've had more then my share guess what, my wife drives the boat and the suburban home. I don't operate in an unsafe manner and damn right I don't surf at night because its stupidly unsafe!

Fuddy duddy all the way bro!

This photo... me sitting in the bow of the boat while my wife drives back to the dock because I've had too much to drink.

tideengineer
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Drinking and Driving a boat can be a bummer....especially if you hit a big roller and spill your last margarita....

scott023
06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Not even in college? Honestly though I haven't gone to the lake with 3 people in forever. If I go 2 its with a female to runabout.

Now I will change my tune on this. if its 4 people going for late set during the week lets roll but I run roughly 1500-2k of weight and 8-10 people. And I don't expect anything from single women. The wives on the boat are traditionally as useless as crap flavored chewing gum.

Someone is feisty today. :D:D:D

scott023
06-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey wise@ss, unlike some people I can have a few beers and social drink. I know when I've had to much and we care breath analyzers on the boat.

When I've had more then my share guess what, my wife drives the boat and the suburban home. I don't operate in an unsafe manner and damn right I don't surf at night because its stupidly unsafe!

Fuddy duddy all the way bro!

This photo... me sitting in the bow of the boat while my wife drives back to the dock because I've had too much to drink.

Hey, it's nearly dark. ;):D

02ProstarSammyD
06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Someone is feisty today.
haha not at all. This thread just brings me to tears and the realization that I am subpar in my lack of ability to spend 5 grand a summer in gas to tow people around. It cuts deep.

Drinking and Driving a boat can be a bummer....especially if you hit a big roller and spill your last margarita....
its only funny because its true. This is why they invented

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-9826548dt.jpg

fits right in the factory cupholder

Kyle
06-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I have 5 different situations and I treat them all different.

1) I have either built a few engines for club owners and did not charge labor but the boat owners bought parts. The many hours put into removing, rebuilding, reinstalling the engines pay for my sets. They pay for my sets

2) I do all maintenance labor or stereo installs on a few boats in the club and when ever the guys call I try to fix their boats within a few days (before weekend). They pay for my sets

3) I've completely restored a friends boat and it took 8 months. I buy my beer he buys gas.

4) A few guys trade off sets their boat or my boat.

5) Non private water time: I don't charge dates or women. I never ask for fuel money but generally people ask "what do I need to bring?". I tell them bring some extra Miller Lite. Since the public water is not where I ski the boat is normally anchored at an island where we all socialize and the cost really doesn't matter if I bring 1 person or 9 people. This is also a weird topic because 90% of my friends have boats. Sometimes I have too many people on my boat so they ride on other boats and sometimes my boat owner friends bleed over a few people on my boat. We go to the island and park. We rarely trade money or take it when we go to the island. Now if we board all day most folks leave cash in the glove box or bring extra beer. Doing it this way allows you the oportunity for the one day you have to leave the island to pick someone up at the dock to ask them bring an extra case because we are low on drinks (rarely happens but has happened before).

Doing the steps 1-4 keeps my hours on my boat down but hours of wrench turning and question about this or that is pretty frequent and I dont mind that.

Step 5 is more like a party and beer costs more than gas so I really don't mind fuel prices.

Weekends where we plan on burning through 60+ gallons people throw cash for gas on their own.

scott023
06-19-2012, 03:58 PM
haha not at all. This thread just brings me to tears and the realization that I am subpar in my lack of ability to spend 5 grand a summer in gas to tow people around. It cuts deep.

its only funny because its true. This is why they invented

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-9826548dt.jpg

fits right in the factory cupholder

everyone situations are different. I see no problem with expecting people to help out with fuel costs if you need them to. If it weren't for you, would the get out on water? I have a buddy that goes out with me before work at least once a week. He stores my boat for me in the winter (free of charge) and often asks if he can fill it up when we're in the marina. I have no issues taking bills from him... like others said, every situation is unique.

Tri4X2
06-19-2012, 04:01 PM
If you live in Austin I hope I don't meet those two friends of yours LOL

My boat doesn't cost all that much to run. However, if a person isn't considerate enough to offer after several times on the boat, then I start to wonder. I would say it's a case by case basis, too. I have a buddy who's been down on his luck for a long time. I've loaned him large sums of money and am happy to take him on my boat and don't ask for any gas money. Most of my friends will buy beer, or whatever. Never has been an issue.

What bother's me more than anything is a guest's behavior while on my boat. I have two friends (they date one another) who are heavy drinkers. They get drunk and fight and that's when I lose my cool, big time. My boat is a tool I use to relax, and when I have a couple of idiots screaming at one another, I freak out and become the "A-hole." But I could care less.

swatguy
06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
For me there there are 3 main situations where I treat all of them differently.

1) If I want to just get out on the water with some friends/co workers and offer my services up to a group of people to come hang out and have a fun day on the water and see where it takes us I expect to pay all the gas. These friends don't really own boats, are not hardcore boarders or skiers, and are just out because we felt it was time to get together. They bring the snacks and drinks I bring the boat with full tank. We may ski a bit, board a bit, chill a bit, tube a bit but in the end it was all just a fun day and I am thankful enough to have them having a good time on something that they can't do like myself on a regular basis.

2) These are my core riding buddies......of which all but 1 have their own boats. We used to just do the standard floating $20 for sets...... it floated back and forth for 2 years.... no joke the same 20's. Gas went up so we just chalked it up to sets on each others boats will all even out gas wise. We decided that each guy would bring a snack and a beverage and that would take care of it all if we all contributed that. No snack or beverage no boarding or skiing

3) These are the guys that ask to wakeboard, tube and ski, may not have their own boat, had one at one time, or just are into the sport because you may have got them hooked. These guys while I never ask for gas have all offered gas money over time. While it wasn't expected I sill was kind of bummed if they didn't offer but never was upset or expected. You get a first three or so times out before it gets me bummed as for me they just might not realize how much a day on the water riding or skiing costs. I found after getting everyone together and heading to the pump before launching it helped them opened up their pockets and eventually the $$ was always offered once the pump starts dinging at 120.00

In the end I have pulled a ton of newer people and been asked to provide lessons. I always pull my neighbors kids or neighbors and when I offer I expect nothing. I get a huge joy out of just seeing the smile on newbs faces. If they become a regular for towing sets of boarding and don't own a boat to return the favor while I don't expect it or count on it I am a little bummed if they don't, but it doesn't ruin my day. I own the boat and fully expect to fill the tank on every outing and if I could not afford to do it I shouldn't offer it up. The gas money is a bonus, a very nice gesture, and a great thank you.

What will ruin my day and drives me crazy more than anything is people who after a day on the lake get in their cars and pull off as soon as the boat is out of the water. I have at least 5 towels and tons of cleaning supplies and the boat needs to be wiped down and cleaned out. You just spent you entire day on it and you def need to assist in its clean up. Those guys that have done that have never got the invite back. Everyone who knows me well nows how anal I am about the boat so this usually isn't an issue, but when it happens I get steamed.

Tri4X2
06-19-2012, 04:45 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/didntread.gif

way too long to read

For me there there are 3 main situations where I treat all of them differently.

1) If I want to just get out on the water with some friends/co workers and offer my services up to a group of people to come hang out and have a fun day on the water and see where it takes us I expect to pay all the gas. These friends don't really own boats, are not hardcore boarders or skiers, and are just out because we felt it was time to get together. They bring the snacks and drinks I bring the boat with full tank. We may ski a bit, board a bit, chill a bit, tube a bit but in the end it was all just a fun day and I am thankful enough to have them having a good time on something that they can't do like myself on a regular basis.

2) These are my core riding buddies......of which all but 1 have their own boats. We used to just do the standard floating $20 for sets...... it floated back and forth for 2 years.... no joke the same 20's. Gas went up so we just chalked it up to sets on each others boats will all even out gas wise. We decided that each guy would bring a snack and a beverage and that would take care of it all if we all contributed that. No snack or beverage no boarding or skiing

3) These are the guys that ask to wakeboard, tube and ski, may not have their own boat, had one at one time, or just are into the sport because you may have got them hooked. These guys while I never ask for gas have all offered gas money over time. While it wasn't expected I sill was kind of bummed if they didn't offer but never was upset or expected. You get a first three or so times out before it gets me bummed as for me they just might not realize how much a day on the water riding or skiing costs. I found after getting everyone together and heading to the pump before launching it helped them opened up their pockets and eventually the $$ was always offered once the pump starts dinging at 120.00

In the end I have pulled a ton of newer people and been asked to provide lessons. I always pull my neighbors kids or neighbors and when I offer I expect nothing. I get a huge joy out of just seeing the smile on newbs faces. If they become a regular for towing sets of boarding and don't own a boat to return the favor while I don't expect it or count on it I am a little bummed if they don't, but it doesn't ruin my day. I own the boat and fully expect to fill the tank on every outing and if I could not afford to do it I shouldn't offer it up. The gas money is a bonus, a very nice gesture, and a great thank you.

What will ruin my day and drives me crazy more than anything is people who after a day on the lake get in their cars and pull off as soon as the boat is out of the water. I have at least 5 towels and tons of cleaning supplies and the boat needs to be wiped down and cleaned out. You just spent you entire day on it and you def need to assist in its clean up. Those guys that have done that have never got the invite back. Everyone who knows me well nows how anal I am about the boat so this usually isn't an issue, but when it happens I get steamed.

atthelake
06-19-2012, 05:27 PM
I never ask nor expect anything in return. We ask people to come up to the cabin or stop by and go for a ride or bring up the family for the weekend all the time. Have they all offered to help with gas? Absolutely, I just can't see myself accepting it, that's all. I have caught a friend or two putting a couple of jerry cans in the slip tank in the back of my truck though.
It should be noted though, all my friends bring the beer! They are truly great friends!

ahhudgins
06-19-2012, 05:55 PM
In my younger days, me and a few friends would burn through 40 or 50 gallons a weekend. Gas was cheaper and we would rotate boats so it worked out fine. Now that my kids are grown it's mostly just my wife and myself at the lake unless we invite guests or extended family. I enjoy the times that we have people along because I get to spend more time on the water and behind the boat. When my two sons show up and bring friends, I'm a happy camper and could care less about the cost of gas.

I don't expect "invited guests" to pay for gas and I always decline the offer. I just wish the in-laws would bring more than a bag chips when they show up.:mad:

ScrewPull
06-19-2012, 06:01 PM
If you live in Austin I hope I don't meet those two friends of yours LOL

Don't worry, you won't! I don't live in Austin, but my boat does. I am there often on Lake Austin. Launch at Steiner (brother lives there).

sully
06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
My opinion....

I'm going out anyway, so I would be using gas regardless, having some folks along adds to the fun. A little help wiping the boat down afterwards is appreciated more than the money. If someone offers me money I will turn it down. A couple folks we go out with have sent us gas cards and thank-you notes couple days later which is appreciated.

Footin
06-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Never ask for it....never turn it down

h2oskiluvr
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Most of my friends make sure we have over the gas bill per trip to cover part of the expense too. My friends that ride regularly realize a 350 dollar payment x12 months+gas+insurance+boards all adds up. Must be us being young/poor. I don't make enough to fit everyones gas bill nor would I ever intend to

I go mainly with people who have their own boat. They understand the total cost.

When we go with new people we have this thing we do but we never talked about it. The non-driver boat owners usually clue the uninitiated in on the "deal" as to not put the driver on the spot. For example, they may say, "$20 will cover me, right?" or something like that. They know that's the price but that way it gets out there and the driver didn't have to have say something.

What's strange is we never discussed it. We just started doing this.

Scottman
06-20-2012, 12:36 AM
I don't charge girls. The guys I bring on my boat I have no problem with asking for money... but I've known them all for a while and it's nothing new. Of course, filling my 20 gallon tank isn't going to put me under for the month, but I'm generally "paid" in things like people buying my dinners, beer, ice, soda, water, random snacks, etc.

I'd have an entirely different mindset if I was dumping 45 gallons of fuel into the thing twice a weekend, however.

Same here. Love the small tank as well.

Nothing bothers me more than people that complain about doing a small favor like "grab that rope and throw it to me" or toss stuff around without being careful not to scratch things or put holes in the seats :mad: Those are the ones that never get invited back.

skps190
06-22-2012, 01:54 AM
We keep 2 6 gallon cans in the dock box and typically when all the family is up everyone takes a turn and runs to the station to get gas every morning, its right down the road and usually at least $1-1.50/gallon cheaper than the marina. With a 60 gallon tank that adds up quick. By adding 12 gallons or so a day we're never at the point of being afraid we're not going to make it back to the dock. My father-in-law has a 34ft powerboat w/ twin 502s and a 200 gallon tank to boot, there has been some great facial expressions when we pull up to the marina and ask not for $100 worth of fuel but 100 gallons.

Barefooter92
06-22-2012, 07:46 AM
After your done skiing for the day make sure they all take the trip with you to the marina to top off. They will see the $$$ on the pump and that should shame them into it.

vandit0022
06-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Great question,

BMcD

Agreed....I think here in the northwest, so many people boat in the summers.....it's just the norm to offer gas money. I have rarely had to ask, people usually slip me cash, or pay for food, bevs or dinner if we are out that late. Also I have a good crew who helps wash the boat every time it gets used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thrall
06-22-2012, 11:09 AM
After your done skiing for the day make sure they all take the trip with you to the marina to top off. They will see the $$$ on the pump and that should shame them into it.

That usually works well.........except for one buddy and his family. We're lifelong friends, but he just cant get out of being cheap about everything. They never have and don't plan to buy a boat, yet LOVE to get out with the rest of us that do have boats at any opportunity.
Last year at our annual trip to the Ozarks. 4 families, 2 boats (since we live too far away to bring ours now), I was extra conscious to buying fuel for the boats I was enjoying all week.
Friend and his family, 4 of them skiing, boarding, surfing all day with the rest of us, never bought a drop of gas....all week! Thought since he brought one more dinner for the group than the rest of us he was covered.:confused:
Well, half cooked drum sticks by a drunk guy don't count for much boat gas when we were blowing through $2-300/day between 2 boats.
Tough decision, but they didn't get invited this year for the first time in 0ver 5 years.:(
Too bad because I'd like to see them all but it's tough to drop almost a grand in gas for the week and watch the boat mooches ride for free! They are not strapped for money either.
Day trips, don't really expect gas money out of friends, but they're typically generous enough to help out at the pump or buy beer or dinner or something.

mzimme
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
^^ Did anyone ever express the idea of chipping in to these people?

LittleFuss
06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
I agree with Sodar, My friends will occassionally bring some drinks for us. Afterall they dont ask me for gas money when I go fishing with them in their boat.

Thrall
06-22-2012, 11:57 AM
^^ Did anyone ever express the idea of chipping in to these people?

It's been suggested.
These are the kind of people that, while great friends, it took them several years to even automatically take their shoes off before boarding!
I think they feel that since we can afford nice boats we can afford the gas, which is true, just not kosher.

mzimme
06-22-2012, 11:59 AM
It's been suggested.
These are the kind of people that, while great friends, it took them several years to even automatically take their shoes off before boarding!
I think they feel that since we can afford nice boats we can afford the gas, which is true, just not kosher.

Yeah, I hear ya. It speaks volumes when someone just steps up every once in a while and says something like "let me take care of this one". Those people get invites to return.

BrianM
06-22-2012, 12:10 PM
My opinion....

This!

fintek9
06-22-2012, 12:26 PM
My opinion....

So true,
If "I" invite people to come and play I don't expect pay from them for nothing.

But sometimes they might bring friends along that I was'nt expecting and you can blow through a tank of gas in one day.
My best buddy that's out with me all the time will pull a 20 out at the end and the rest usualy follow suit ( that's a deal he came up with cause he knows the cost of operation on these things)

Stx221
06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
My opinion....

This.
I don't mind the cost of the gas, its just part of the overall bill. I also really enjoy it when people are enjoying the toys that I have purchased. I actually think I have more fun watching other people enjoying driving the boat than I have while driving it.

Yeah, I hear ya. It speaks volumes when someone just steps up every once in a while and says something like "let me take care of this one". Those people get invites to return.

And definitely this! I have a friend who says "You got all the gas for the whole day, I've got lunch and dinner today, no questions!" and while we are loading and unloading from the trailer is always asking what they can do to help with the process. Even simple things like someone being in the boat at the end of the day saying give me the drying rag, I'll wipe things down in here. To me, a simple gesture or two can go much further than a 10 or 20 in my pocket. The few times I have been given a couple bucks, it has gone straight into the tank at the gas dock or at the gas station on the way home from the lake.

LaRue
06-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Edit.

ahhudgins
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
This.
I don't mind the cost of the gas, its just part of the overall bill. I also really enjoy it when people are enjoying the toys that I have purchased. I actually think I have more fun watching other people enjoying driving the boat than I have while driving it.

And definitely this! I have a friend who says "You got all the gas for the whole day, I've got lunch and dinner today, no questions!" and while we are loading and unloading from the trailer is always asking what they can do to help with the process. Even simple things like someone being in the boat at the end of the day saying give me the drying rag, I'll wipe things down in here. To me, a simple gesture or two can go much further than a 10 or 20 in my pocket. The few times I have been given a couple bucks, it has gone straight into the tank at the gas dock or at the gas station on the way home from the lake.

If I ever had someone offer to help wipe the boat down or pay for my meals, they would have to hit me with a defibrillator!:D

Stx221
06-22-2012, 01:44 PM
If I ever had someone offer to help wipe the boat down or pay for my meals, they would have to hit me with a defibrillator!:D

I was only talking about one person that is this way. I really like taking her out on the water with me as it makes the whole day pretty easy!
Most of my buddies just bring beer and snacks which works well for me!

scott023
06-22-2012, 02:14 PM
This.

These are the people that you go out of your way for to get on the boat. People that CARE.

Stx221
06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
People that CARE.

It's getting difficult to find these types of people...:cool:

scott023
06-22-2012, 02:27 PM
It's getting difficult to find these types of people...:cool:

LOL. I've got more than a few that do this, so I guess we're lucky that way.

CruisinGA
06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
If I bring new folks to the lake house, no expectations. My buddies that come almost every time I do usually buy the trip up and a few jerry cans of gas for the boat/Jetski.

When I barefoot with some buddies on Lanier, I toss em a 20 every time. Worth much more than that to me to get a mid-week pull.

madcityskier
06-26-2012, 12:38 AM
For the record lent the boat out to best friend whose been part of my crew for 10+ years. His boat is down for the summer for an interior due to coon damage. (Terrible pics available on wakeworld.) Got back to the house late Sunday and even with only 1 bulb on the door opener on could tell that the boat looked cleaner than it had.
He took the boat, filled the tank, used the boat, filled the tank, washed the boat, waxed the boat (2 coats), and baked a pie which I am enjoying a slice of right now. Suffice to say, it's his any time he wants it.
Y'all just need better friends.

ntidsl
06-26-2012, 08:31 AM
On the other hand, my wife has a "self inviter" friend. "Do you mind if we stop down Friday?" Ruined my day. My son was off to summer camp and it was my wife and I's last kid free day and the weather was perfect. I had a full tank of gas and nothing but glass. They showed up at 10 am with kids!!! I opted for detailing the yard and wattering gardens and waxing the trailer while my wife entertained. 8:30 pm they left the boat with just less than a half a tank, chip crumbs on the floor, no gas money and empty pop cans in the kitchen. Started Saturday am with a gas run, wiped the boat down inside and out, then I got to start my weekend ( a day late and $50 short).

Gas or *** starts this weekend!

NatesGr8
06-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I supply the boat and the gas. I make everyone else bring beer, booze, ice, food (burgers, dogs, steaks, chicken). I also don't let them get away with the standard 30 of bud light, it's only high quality beer that goes on my boat. Then afterwards the real friends, and the friends that get invited back will usually slip me some cash or leave it in the glove compartment when i'm not looking. This has been working out fine for now, the way i see it i'd be using the boat weather they were there or not.

mzimme
06-26-2012, 08:58 AM
On the other hand, my wife has a "self inviter" friend. "Do you mind if we stop down Friday?" Ruined my day. My son was off to summer camp and it was my wife and I's last kid free day and the weather was perfect. I had a full tank of gas and nothing but glass. They showed up at 10 am with kids!!! I opted for detailing the yard and wattering gardens and waxing the trailer while my wife entertained. 8:30 pm they left the boat with just less than a half a tank, chip crumbs on the floor, no gas money and empty pop cans in the kitchen. Started Saturday am with a gas run, wiped the boat down inside and out, then I got to start my weekend ( a day late and $50 short).

Ugh, self inviters are the worst. I don't have a place on the lake, but the self inviters that want boat rides usually get a response in the form of, "I've got a full load today, sorry". More often than not, I have 2-3 open seats. lol.

madcityskier
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM

That sucks. Hope the next day was better. Short of engine trouble it almost had to be.

02ProstarSammyD
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Ive got a new one that I thought was worthy. Friend of a friend and his wife come out this weekend. He usually just sits in the bow and keeps quiet but always asks if we are going.

Plan to leave at 1 oclock. Rest of the crew goes by to pick them up. He isn't back yet from golf, his wife makes them 45 min late, and then he calls me to pick him up from the dock an hour after. He gripes the entire time about petty crap.

At the end of the day I go talk the long walk to get the truck. Waiting in line at the ramp and they come walking up...."hey dude we'll see you later its too hot out here". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I go out of my way all day, you make my crew late, give your wife pulls, go back to the dock to get you, and you can't even wait 5 min to wipe down the boat?

I bite my tongue and was pissed about it for the rest of the day.

Sends me a message the next day "Hey wifey forgot her bracelet in the boat can you bring it by?"

LOL

Told him I had already taken the boat to storage but I'd see it friday and that if they had stayed to clean up she would have seen it or someone would.

So he asks me to send me his paypal email so he can paypal me some gas money for the weekend.

Tell him I don't use it since its a ripoff.

His response "Well use it once and I'll send you a few bucks for this past weekend but I don't use a bank with ATM's around here"

What a eff'n d lord! Told him not to worry about it since that was their last rides.

Ironhorse
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM

I used to have the same issue with my wifes friend and her husband. Now I am just known as the grumpy or mean husband for telling them they cant come to the lake house unless they are "invited". It just took one very frank conversation about "our" time. Now they just show up and drive my wife nuts when I am at work, but hey they're her friends.

tim79mc
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
When I get my boat back in the water, we're going to host a "ski night" - have everyone come over for skiing, dinner and drinks. There will be a cup for money collection - it will pay for gas first, drinks next and dinner last. The more that's in the pot, the better we eat.

tim79mc
06-26-2012, 10:17 PM
madcityskier - we all need friends like yours. The world would be a great place.

bturner2
06-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Wow incredible stories. At my age and with boater friends we pretty much don't have these issues anymore. I never ask or expect money and neither do my friends/relatives while I'm on on their boats. I do however sneak the occasional 6 gallon can of gas into the brother-in-law's Malibu that we use for slalom skiing a few times a month but mostly because I'm sure we're burning more gas in his boat than mine when we're wakeboarding or surfing. I'm sure he knows I'm doing it or that he's discovered the only gas producing Malibu but it all goes unsaid.

We must be lucky as we both invite each other to use either boat anytime and we always leave the boats in as good or better shape when finished. No one ever leaves at the end of the day without helping wiping down, cleaning out and covering the boat. Never knew how lucky I was until I read a couple pages of this thread.

oxberger
06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I learned a long time ago from my father, family, friends, and experience that had boats gas and maintaining a boat is part of the cost of owning it. There are factors involved in accepting gas and/or getting invited back:
1.) Is this person someone invited by a friend of a friend and did they make the boat more or less enjoyable?
More enjoyable = not taking the $, Less Enjoyable = not allowed back + if money offerd taken
2.) If you broke down, did this person help with the fix or getting back to shore, or complain the entire time? (I have one friend that I will never hesitate to take with me, not only does he offer to pay for gas, he helps when chit breaks, helps clean up, and is a hell of alotta fun... plus he knows hot chicks)
Help = not taking the $, Complain = not allowed back + if money offerd taken
3.) Was she hot or not, and if not did she help with the fun or complain?
Either way don't take money from chicks... BUT if they are hot + complain = limited time on boat (you can put up with some crap just to have a little eye candy around)
Not so hot + complain = no invite back + if money offered taken
Not so hot + added to fun = invite back + her other friends may come too (ugly chicks usually have a lot of hot friends):D

JMLVMI
08-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Sorry for bringing an old thread back from the dead, but figured you guys would like this video: https://vimeo.com/70882358 :D

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Sorry for bringing an old thread back from the dead, but figured you guys would like this video: https://vimeo.com/70882358 :D

Face full of shovel is a great idea. http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44555&d=1364467630

Salsbd01
08-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Tough one. I always bring a 5 gallon in my truck. Most of my friends bring a 5 gallon. Boats don't run on dreams, they run on fuel. Less people equals less weight but more riding time for you. It's a double edged sword. I live on a lake and have my own dock.... So folks usually get one or two rides for free then next time I tell them cool like to bring 5 gallons. I leave about half a tank of gas in my boat and if I'm low I usually tell people I forgot to get gas.... Would they mind grabbing 5 gallons. It works out pretty good. Most folks want to ride but if there isn't fuel in the boat we usually don't take but a short short set and they get the idea..... Boarding is such a team/ crew sport that its important to have good people w you that are on the same page...

Traxx822
08-13-2013, 03:39 PM

That is hilarious

Specter
08-13-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm big fan of the sticker from the follow. brand (http://www.followmenow.com/products/no-category/thanks-sticker/).

swatguy
08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Awesome video. CWB and MC def know how to put videos together.

BWB-745-
08-13-2013, 04:11 PM
I've only been a third twice and so far I've given $50 and $60 bucks for gas. We were out all day and rode until I couldn't ride any more.

pap
08-13-2013, 04:49 PM
I want a "face full of shovel" t-shirt!

Love that video.

We ought to have a pre-flight video like the airlines do, and incorporate that :)

scott023
08-13-2013, 05:33 PM
That is hilarious

No doubt.

Eagle
08-13-2013, 11:31 PM
My opinion....

I'm with Sodar on this. To me it's just the cost of owning the boat, and I can't wakeboard alone. I'm grateful to have such a good crew.

I appreciate it when someone brings gas. Not at all because of the money but for the convenience of saving me from having to go to the gas station and fill up the cans. In fact, one member of my crew regularly brings gas and I give him $500 to help cover the cost every two months or so. It's worth it to me that he brings gas and I pay for (part of) it.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2013, 11:43 PM
It has taken a while, but most everyone that gets pulled with my boat contributes in one way or another. That works for me.

Redstorm
08-14-2013, 01:09 AM
It has taken a while, but most everyone that gets pulled with my boat contributes in one way or another. That works for me.

Just offering goes a long way with me. If we're out for the weekend I'll take it but usually deny it for the day. But when someone doesn't even offer or bring something to contribute....that burns on me! I always say what would I do if reversed? When someone invites me I always insist or leave money in the glove box. But then again I'm a boat owner and understand. It's like inviting friends over for a BBQ, they always bring something!

Good video!

dihrdskir
08-14-2013, 05:04 AM
There's a group of three of us that each own a boat and alternate in cycles. We have a fifty $ note that we use to indoctrinate the newbies. In theory it's meant to be the same note which is overtly passed as payment for fuel, then it returns next trip and so on.. If the said newbie doesn't take the hint, ie. "hey sam here's the fifty for the fuel" then they are a one visit wonder regardless of how many optional beers, chips or good looks they bring. As the video says none of these options actually make the boat go. For what it's worth, when there are just the three of us out for the set, the fifty will make an appearance anyway, just for a laugh as we enjoy a beer at the ramp..

bturner2
08-14-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm just glad to get enough people to come out regularly. I will say that all my guests have offered but I never accept. That and two of our younger skiers have just moved out of their parents houses and with the way entry level positions pay these days are barely making ends meet as it is. Besides I never have to ask anyone that goes out with us twice for help cleaning/covering the boat after a session or for help putting in the lift or dock. It's understood that if you're a regular this is part of the deal and I'd rather have that than the gas money.

The way I look at it gas is the least of my expenses of owning the boat and having a full crew so that I can go out a couple times a week is worth the expense to me. I'm also never asked to pay nor do I expect to pay when I'm out on my friends boats. For us the unwritten understanding is that when you're hosting you're doing just that and the gas is on you. Most times we're at odds picking whose boat we're going out on even with this unwritten rule. At this point in our lives gas is just not an issue anymore.

thamax
08-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Women always ride for free I don't expect anything out guys that don't ride! But my friends that run several sessions I except them to at least cover the fuel they burned and the friends that won't help with fuel stay in the shore!

mtajpa
08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Everyone rides for FREE on mine. I just tell them to bring whatever it is they would like to eat or drink. Most everyone offers to pay but I thank them kindly for the offer. I just love to get out on the water with people that want to enjoy the lake.

Indyxc
08-14-2013, 11:57 AM
First time out, nothing expected, except maybe an offer to help wipe down the boat.

IF you plan to ride regularly, you aren't family, and have a job, it's time to pay. Unless you somehow reciprocate by taking me out on your boat or some equivalent factor.

Life isn't free.

LaRue
08-14-2013, 01:40 PM
i'm with Mtajpa, I do not expect anything. Sometimes people offer to buy lunch and I will accept that but I have no expectations about anyone ever paying for anything. My joy is wrapped up in providing them fun, laughter and memories on the water.

h2oskiluvr
08-15-2013, 05:52 AM
First time out, nothing expected, except maybe an offer to help wipe down the boat.

IF you plan to ride regularly, you aren't family, and have a job, it's time to pay. Unless you somehow reciprocate by taking me out on your boat or some equivalent factor.

Life isn't free.

I also consider if they are a serious skier or just a Wally. If it is weekly training I am going to be expecting some help.