PDA

View Full Version : 09 x-star tubing off of tower

pud167
06-19-2012, 02:42 AM
Hello,

I have always pulled tubes from the eye on the transom on my 09 x-star but the rope is alway dragging in the water right behind the boat. My boat doesnt have the ski pylon so is it possible I can pull tubes from my tower with out any chances of harming my boat.

Thanks

willyt
06-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Unless your filming from the tube I heard that if you're actually trying to 'tube' behind an xstar the tube and everyone on it bursts into flames immediately.

Don't even think about trying to connect a tube to a tower. You're asking for tower issues.

pud167
06-19-2012, 11:11 AM
HAHAHA, well noted thanks.

kal_dude
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
lmao!!!! awesome!

vision
06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
But the double ups are so nice.....

Philscbx
06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I would think done smart - using roughly 400 - 600 lb pull Compound Bungie 4 foot long -
Like Bridge Jumpers -
It should provide a smooth pull regardless what they did on the tubes.

Googled, and only found one case where they got out of hand to break the bar. Some kids can break a hammer.
If it's true - There are strain gauges that give the facts to see just what different activities actually pull.

Nice Shot Vision!

MattsCraft
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Unless your filming from the tube I heard that if you're actually trying to 'tube' behind an xstar the tube and everyone on it bursts into flames immediately.

Don't even think about trying to connect a tube to a tower. You're asking for tower issues.

How is pulling a tube off of the tower any different than the force of one or two people being pulled by a wakeboard or ski? The ski pylon is a better option for tubes really, but as the picture shows can create some huge air off the wake, for me this is pure entertainment:D

mzimme
06-19-2012, 04:35 PM
How is pulling a tube off of the tower any different than the force of one or two people being pulled by a wakeboard or ski? The ski pylon is a better option for tubes really, but as the picture shows can create some huge air off the wake, for me this is pure entertainment:D

When you fall on skis/wakeboard, you let go of the rope (hopefully) and just fall into the water not pulling on the boat.

When you get flipped off a tube, half the time the tube lands upside down and creates a massive vaccuum/suction between the tube and the water, and can cause some SERIOUS load. Talking 5000+lbs of force if you get that tube submerged.

In my short time here, I've read stories of people pulling a tube from their pylons, and after flipping people off and having the tube submerge and yank on the boat, their pylon came out slammed into the motor box at 45* angle out of the floor.

No thanks...

BrianT
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
But the double ups are so nice.....

Great shot!

That landing might have been a little hard.....

bobx1
06-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Hello,

.....but the rope is alway dragging in the water right behind the boat.....

http://www.amazon.com/SportsStuff-Booster-Ball-Towable-Tube/dp/B004XH8XG4

Fast50dad
06-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Would this help?

http://towablestubes.com/heavy-duty-tow-harness/

pud167
06-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Perfect, that is what I need. Thanks for posting that.

This fourm is awesome.

Heelgrad
06-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I tow my kids on an HO Extreme all the time off the tower. Haven't yet worried about the stress on the tower, but we're also not doing power turns throwing people off at 35 mph either. I guess every person's application is different, but I haven't worried about it to this point. Don't have any adults with any interest in getting on it either thank god.

Philscbx
06-20-2012, 01:40 AM
I tow my kids on an HO Extreme all the time off the tower. Haven't yet worried about the stress on the tower,
but we're also not doing power turns throwing people off at 35 mph either. Also the second the tube is free of rider, speed is 5-10 knots.

Surely a 5k lb pull on nylon rope would decapitate everyone on board the boat,
if it snapped off tube with 5k load.
Farmers dragging stuff around from a high point on Tractors -
just once was enough on near miss.

I'm sticking to shock cord theory/stop strap to see the dynamics live.

CCAnderson
06-20-2012, 09:25 AM
I would like to believe that the little plastic piece where the tube attached to the rope is not as strong as a pylon on tower. If you are really worried about it have an engineer work out the strain using his mechanics of materials course work and find the weakest link: the rope, the tube cover, the tower, pylon, funny looking plastic thing. This might be a good design project for some college kids.

My gut tells me the plastic thing is the weak point. If were designing it I would make this the weakest point and market it to all those boaters concerned about damaging their boat.

aaron.
06-20-2012, 09:40 AM
my buddies crumpled/folded their 2002 xstar tower like a beer can. didn't feel that bad for them, since they were in fact tubing behind an xstar.

Jason.H.
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
A friend of mine pulled some kids on a tube behind his 2000 (i think) moomba mobius and it ripped the factory tower out of the fiberglass. Broke the windshield and everything. I wouldnt take the risk on my boat (if i had a tower).

CCAnderson
06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Point noted. I would like to think that my MC is much better built than a Moomba but then again I have a host of trouble and some genius at the factory installed one of the tower reinforcing plates incorrectly.

Philscbx
06-26-2012, 04:19 AM
mobius and it ripped the factory tower out of the fiberglass. Broke the windshield and everything.I'd like to see these cases - who & how it was mounted -
Like someone posted boat for sale - the main supports had damage from door entry - etc. Seems suspect to the actual cause.

Aircraft wing structures are inspected / tested to deliberately break them to a set rule.
I didn't like doing it - but safer than in the air.

Does the factory list the load limit on their towers.
Guess it's Google to see more info.

From this link (http://www.barewest.com/warranty.php) - they claim no weight to exceed 20lbs of speakers - etc.
So it all depends on the design.

Philscbx
06-26-2012, 05:18 AM
Here's one found - If towers have this small a foot print - then no wonder there are problems,
It should be taken to the next level with plates extended to vertical structure below.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0886.jpg
From Moomba Site (http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?5496-Tower-weight-limit-for-wakeboarding)

sp00ky
06-26-2012, 09:07 AM
I would like to believe that the little plastic piece where the tube attached to the rope is not as strong as a pylon on tower. If you are really worried about it have an engineer work out the strain using his mechanics of materials course work and find the weakest link: the rope, the tube cover, the tower, pylon, funny looking plastic thing. This might be a good design project for some college kids.

My gut tells me the plastic thing is the weak point. If were designing it I would make this the weakest point and market it to all those boaters concerned about damaging their boat.

Exactly my thoughts too. The tube and rope should snap way before the tower.

CCAnderson
06-27-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm hoping for the sake of Moomba owners that what I cannot see in that picture is a large piece of metal glassed into the deck of the boat that would distribute the load from the tower. I imagine that most issues arise from shoddy tower installations with people cutting corners because they are inexperienced or in a hurry or it was during a time period when some boats had plates and some didn't.

I like the idea of putting a mechanical fuse in the rope somewhere. it would be difficult to get the right setting but i think it would be safer than having a tower collapse

Philscbx
06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I like the idea of putting a mechanical fuse in the rope somewhere. it would be difficult to get the right setting but i think it would be safer than having a tower collapseA Bungee comes to mind again.

tdjaster
06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Tubing behind a MC (especially X-Star) should be illegal.

willyt
06-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Tubing behind a MC (especially X-Star) should be illegal.

Right? And I don't see ANYONE concerned about the spontaneous combustion danger!!!

tdjaster
06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Right? And I don't see ANYONE concerned about the spontaneous combustion danger!!!

Well, that was my reasoning for it being illegal. Spontaneous combustion was implied. ;)

CCAnderson
06-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Samson beat me to the punch. http://www.samsonsports.com/cmsimages/bullet_release_small.jpg

Nothing like having an aluminum bullet flying at the passengers in the back seat when it decides to let loose.

willyt
06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Samson beat me to the punch. http://www.samsonsports.com/cmsimages/bullet_release_small.jpg

Nothing like having an aluminum bullet flying at the passengers in the back seat when it decides to let loose.

More danger = more fun. Now your really starting to market to the xstar demographic