PDA

View Full Version : 09 x-star taking on water

pud167
06-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Hello I'm new to the TT and also new to the world of Inboards. I have always owned I/O.
I have a 2009 x-star that I have always got winterized and serviced at Mastercraft. This year when I put the boat in the water for the first time, after one night of sitting at the dock I noticed the boat was taking on water. The boat is parked only where there is calm water. Now all my other boats had only one plug so my first question is there two compartments on the x-star a front and back. The water is in the front compartment, if it is segregated. At the same time my speedometer is reading 10 mph while at idle. Iím sure this will be better for a different thread but I just want to give all the info I can.
So any suggestion where I should start looking for the problem? I was also going to pull the boat out of the water then fill it up for a bit with a garden hose and see if I can find some leaks that way.
Also is there such thing as a full service manual for these boats.
Thanks for all the help. Just trying to learn my boat.

scott023
06-19-2012, 10:02 AM
I think your boat has two hull plugs, one on the transom and one beside the drivers chair.

If you are still taking water on, I would check water pump hoses and freeze plugs. After that, could be drive shaft packing or speedo paddlewheel leakage.

Also, If you go into your settings page on your main screen, you should be able to recalibrate your gauges.

ttu
06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
check out the hoses like scott said. also might look at greasing the rudder. on my 07 i had a horrible leak at the rudder and ended up replacing the rudder seal.

pud167
06-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply I will check your suggestions out. So if Im getting water in from the motor area it will show up by the driver seat plug, they are not two seperate areas correct.

jmw
06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Holes are drilled all the way through the dividers allowing the water to pass through from bow to stern. If it's not taking on a large amount of water my bet would be the shaft seal or rudder seal. Rudder seal like mentioned above can often be fixed by applying grease to the fitting on the side of the rudder shaft.

pud167
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Cool, thanks again for the replys.

scott023
06-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Right on, the bilge is all connected, so it could still be coming from the front hull plug.

bobx1
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
You really need to detemine if...

A - the boat is taking on water when the engine is NOT running.

B - the boat is taking on water that is associated with the ballast tanks (while filling, while full, while emptying).

C - the boat is taking on water while the engine is running

D - the boat is taking on water while the engine is running and underway.

Check out this post...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48322

willyt
06-19-2012, 09:48 PM
E - make sure it didnt rain overnight

cf_koch
06-19-2012, 10:12 PM
My Maristar once had a heater hose twist until it was rubbing on a belt. This caused the hose to leak. An easy fix once I found the hole.

If you determine that the leak is not from a hose from your engine, balast, or heater, you might want to put the boat on its trailer then put water in the bilge a watch for where the water is coming out of the hull.

pud167
06-19-2012, 11:42 PM
I get back from Russia in two weeks so I will get the boat in the water when I first get home and give an update on what I find or dont find. Thanks for all the advice.

pud167
06-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Before I make my way to the cabin I need to make sure I got everything I may need. What type of greese and what fitting do I need for the rudder?

IdahoSnake
06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
My boat was doing the same thing last year. When I had it winterized they said the water intake seal was cracked. Also said it was a common problem for my boat, 2000 205. Has anyone replaced this seal? The part is $60 and I am tired of paying for labor costs.

jmw
06-21-2012, 04:34 PM
It's just a regular grease (zerk) fitting, that every grease gun has standard in the U.S. I think 1/8 inch fitting is standard. The grease is waterproof marine grease (Pennziol Multi-Purpose Marine Grease) just depending on the brand what they call it.