PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Will Not Go In Neutral

stumbledog
08-24-2005, 08:05 AM
'93 Prostar with Powertslot (States 1.52:1 on tag) will not go into neutral. When in neutral position, the prop still spins at a low rpm. The transmission will go into reverse without a problem. I have been told the clutch plates are warped.

What is a fair price to pay for this repair? Is this something I should do myself?

jimmer2880
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't know too many inboards that don't turn slowly in neutral.

Danimal
08-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Is the slight spin actually putting your boat in motion when in neutral?

stumbledog
08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Yes the boat will move in neutral. If you sit on the platform with ski or board on your foot you can feel the drag. It is not that bad in my opinion, but the dealer who had it sold (sight unseen by the buyer) made a big deal about it, and that killed the deal.

After the deal went bust, the owner took the boat back to sell it on his own. The dealer gave the owner our name, as my wife had called on the boat and expressed some interest. We spoke to both the dealer and the owner before we drove down to look at it, so we had both stories on the condition of the boat and the obvious friction that was caused.

Maybe I should just leave it lone for now?

G-man
08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Now you have another reason beside carbon monoxide to turn the boat off when your between skiers.