PDA

View Full Version : Columbia River

hos505
06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
We are planning an August trip to the Columbia River east of Portland and was hoping someone on here could weigh in on some good boating areas or ones to stay away from, good boat launches, camp sites on or close to the river and anything else that would be good to know when boating in that area.

Thx.

russlars
06-18-2012, 05:02 PM
How many ways can you spell WINDY? Granted there are times when the river can be glass, but those days are rare. Remember, they don't call it the wind surfing capital of the world for nothing!

saberworks
06-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Depends on how far away you go from the coast I guess. We go every year to Crescent Bar, which is in eastern WA, about halfway between the OR border and the Canadian border. We go for 7 days each summer and for the past three years we've gotten at least 5 great days out of every 7. The other two were either stormy (lightning, rain) or windy. It's probably a lot different closer to Portland, though. The water is cold compared to most lakes we visit.

Oh, we usually go the last week in July.

JTNG
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Been to Pasco, Wa. I remember it being decent on the water! had to dodge oranges and watermellons that had fallen off of the barges. Had Sandy beaches and a decent camp ground. The drive from Portland sucked because of the wind though.
Planning on a trip to Lake Roosevelt the end of August, never been there but hear it is beautiful!

hos505
06-19-2012, 01:00 AM
If you are going that direction (Lake Roosevelt) Banks Lake is a great spot! Been there before and going again July 1

vandit0022
06-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Yes if you are headed up river from Portland along the WA/OR border, wind wind and more wind storms can come up quick along there. Depends on how far you are going. I grew up on that river near Tri-Cities, just be aware there are lots of unmarked shallow spots, obstacles, and floating debris, we went through many props growing up so stay in the channel. Also, going through the dam locks can be a little daunting if you havent done it before. But, temps can be amazing and glass in the mornings/evenings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mramerman@gmail.com
06-19-2012, 11:02 AM
We have a place in Chelan Falls on the Columbia north of Wenatchee. It has windy days; however many / many glass days. I have found it one of the best water-sport locations I have ever been.

brucemac
06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Been to Pasco, Wa. I remember it being decent on the water! had to dodge oranges and watermellons that had fallen off of the barges. Had Sandy beaches and a decent camp ground. The drive from Portland sucked because of the wind though.
Planning on a trip to Lake Roosevelt the end of August, never been there but hear it is beautiful!

you will have a blast. roosevelt is incredible.