PDA

View Full Version : Got Towed In Today

Duane D
06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
For the first time ever, I had to be towed back to my dock today. We had been riding a little, then sat in a cove tied up with some friends for a couple of hours. My wife decided to take a surf set as we headed back for dinner, and as I was pulling her, the boat just shut down ('06 X2 MCX). We tried everything I could think of to get it fired up again, and it would turn over but wouldn't start. Thank God our friends hadn't loaded their boat on their trailer yet and they came back to get us.

I could hear a click when I would pull on/off the safety lanyard and I can hear the fuel pump hum when I turn the key on, but it just won't fire. Any suggestions before I call a mechanic tomorrow?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-17-2012, 10:50 PM
When you say "fire" do you mean start or the boat does not fire the spark plugs?

Hogwild
06-17-2012, 10:57 PM
For the first time ever, I had to be towed back to my dock today. We had been riding a little, then sat in a cove tied up with some friends for a couple of hours. My wife decided to take a surf set as we headed back for dinner, and as I was pulling her, the boat just shut down ('06 X2 MCX). We tried everything I could think of to get it fired up again, and it would turn over but wouldn't start. Thank God our friends hadn't loaded their boat on their trailer yet and they came back to get us.

I could hear a click when I would pull on/off the safety lanyard and I can hear the fuel pump hum when I turn the key on, but it just won't fire. Any suggestions before I call a mechanic tomorrow?

I feel your pain brother. Got towed back today myself but for other reasons. Hope you get back on the water soon.

Kyle
06-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Try bypassing safety lanyard. Just because it clicks doesn't mean it's bad or good.

The lanyard has a hot wire running to the lanyard and other wire is dead until lanyard is connected. When the lanyard is on it connects current through the wire. There is not a pos and neg wire. Unplug the lanyard and connect the 2 wires together.

I got tired of the lanyard and I never wore it so it was just ugly cable hanging down. I bypassed it and now don't have an ugly curly cable.

Also check to see if the fuel rail has fuel in it. There is a fitting on the rail that looks like a tire valve stem. Press the valve and fuel should release (watch your eyes)

Check to see if you have spark at the plugs.

If your are missing either of the 2 items above the lanyard can cause them not to work.

petermegan
06-17-2012, 11:45 PM
kyle I was tempted to do the same with the lanyard but was worried my insurance company may pick it up if there was an accident. Don't want to be a stick in the mud or highjack the thread. Just curious?

Kyle
06-17-2012, 11:57 PM
kyle I was tempted to do the same with the lanyard but was worried my insurance company may pick it up if there was an accident. Don't want to be a stick in the mud or highjack the thread. Just curious?

If you are not wearing the lanyard then it is pointless.

How would a lanyard cause an accident. The lanyard is only there if you are thrown from the helm to shut off the engine. If you are getting that crazy to get thrown from the capitains seat, you are the hazard not the lanyard. An insurance company also will not come inspect the lanyard to see if it works properly. The adjuster will take pics and go give them to the company. The company will never know about your adjustments.

bturner2
06-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Since you can hear the pump start when you turn the key I'm going to go with fuel pump. I have a 07 X2 and had the same thing happen two years ago.

Get a pressure gauge on the fuel rail, check the pressure and if it's low it's the fuel pump. Go to the fuel pump 101 thread and study how to remove and replace the pump. Order a Carter or Airtex pump and get started. If you're taking your time you should have it changed out in 2 hours. You can usually get the Airtex at NAPA or O'Reilly's the same day.

AZX45OD
06-18-2012, 08:56 AM
My vote is fuel pump. The same thing happened with my 07 X30 MCX at around 300 hours.

ttu
06-18-2012, 08:57 AM
My vote is fuel pump. The same thing happened with my 07 X30 MCX at around 300 hours.

ditto! my 97 x2 went at 250 hrs. dealer told me that i was lucky to get that many hrs on the first fuel pump!!!:rolleyes:

Duane D
06-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for all of the great responses! I followed Kyle's advice and went by the dock this morning to check the valve on the fuel rail. After turning the key on, I pushed the center of the valve, and no gas came out. I guess this means that it definitely is the fuel pump? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but with no gas coming out of the valve, I would assume that means no pressure.

Thank you bturner for the recommendation for the Carter or Airtex! I just called my local dealer and they want $550 for their pump. OUCH!! I will start reading fuel pump 101 thread now!

This site is truly awesome and I am thankful that all of you are willing to share your knowledge.

D

Philscbx
06-18-2012, 10:25 AM
There's currently a Carter pump for $250 Great Lakes (http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/37_263-boat-engines-engine-parts-and-accessories-misc-motor-supplies/2844-carter-federal-mogul-carter-federal-mastercraft-71-343s-boat-fuel-pump-system-98-002-3.html)

bturner2
06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Dang that's a good price on the entire set up. Worth considering. I was however referring to just the pump itself. The pump alone should go for somewhere between $50 and $100. On my 07 I could choose one of these three.....

AC Delco EP369: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-EP369-...3747246&sr=8-1

Bosch 69118: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-69118-Or...d=D8EN8H75M8KA

Airtex E2065 http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E2065-E...d=D8EN8H75M8KA

I installed the Airtex when mine failed then purchased the Delco for the emergency repair kit I carry in the boat. The delco is supposed to be a better rotary desgin. I made the kit with a pump and all the tools I would need to replace a fuel pump should it fail while on vacation or on Lake Erie where I boat several times a year without access to good parts stores.

Duane D
06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Well, it definitely is th fuel pump. It is odd, though because the pump gets power and spins internally, but does not make any pressure. It's like whatever pieces in side that actually "pump" are broken.

Ordering up the Delco replacement as has been posted here several times and will reinstall tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and took the time to post about their pumps. Your help has been priceless through this.

Brandon241
06-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Let me know how this goes. Mine went out yesterday evening. I dont want to replace the whole thing like you said from the dealer. I would rather buy just the pump and save a ton of $$$$. Let me know how difficult this is.

Brandon

Philscbx
06-20-2012, 08:47 AM
http://www.simerics.com/images/gerotor_f1.jpg
I see Carter upgraded their latest design to how other like Walbro's - GSS342
proven gerotor design.

Same as used for high performance oil pumps with diverging steel teeth.
This type can tolerate a dry moment.

Vane types work well wet, but not dry.
The vanes wear down, jam or spit out of its slots, crashing into others.

Bosch using a Turbine design & the Mystery of Airtex won't show theirs.
But they have a full page novel how great they are.
So I wrote Airtex to get the facts. Not holding my breath on that.
Tons of research, not one view - or statement of their design.
What I did find - reviews were not stacked well. Some getting a China knockoff.

Delco was a top choice in most reviews.

I have a Walbro on the shelf - just in case.

Crazy how much the whole assembly is. Which I doubt is ever needed.

AIRTEX - Did in fact reply - State their pumps are also gerotor design.

Duane D
06-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Brandon, wasn't hard at all. I went with the DElphi replacement and had things inn and out in bout an hour total. It's a little bit tedious putting the pump itself back into the module, but a guy on here named boomer has a great thread about it. If you have even a small amount of mechanical ability, it shouldnt be a problem.