PDA

View Full Version : Prop shaft loose, how can I fix it?

Boardpower
06-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Out on the water last night, started her up after hours on the water and put it in gear......no movement. The rpm's would go up, however no movement. I got under the swim deck and could feel the prop touching the rudder, I put my feet on the prop and pushed the prop shaft back into the v drive. Got back in the boat and drove back to the trailer. Once I got her out of the water, I grabbed the prop and could wiggle the prop shaft loose again.

Any ideas on how to solve this? What would cause this?

ttu
06-17-2012, 04:51 PM
sounds like the shaft came loose from the coupler or bolts on the coupler broke.

Boardpower
06-17-2012, 05:05 PM
On a 2008 x45, do you know how to access and check?

ttu
06-17-2012, 09:30 PM
On a 2008 x45, do you know how to access and check?

look right behind the vdrive where the prop shaft would connect to the tranny. my bet is a bolt got sheared off.

hopefully some others will chime in and help.

jmw
06-17-2012, 11:10 PM
It sounds like the shaft nut at the transmission came off. Look at the front of the engine/transmission and you should see a round coupler with the prop shaft coming throught it. The nut is usually held on with a cotter key but since it's usually hard to get off someone may not have replaced it. Look around in the bottom of teh boat and I bet you will find the nut and put it back on with a cotter key... It's possible you sheared off the bolts holding the coupler or the nuts came off the bolts holding the coupler but that would be almost impossible because there are 4 bolts that hold the shaft coupler to the transmission. Since it's one nut on the shaft that makes the most since and should be a cheap, easy and simple fix. Good luck. Someone will probably post a pic if you need it.

Boardpower
06-18-2012, 12:00 AM
I am able to see a red boot/sleeve with 4 champs around it and able to feel the prop shaft move, however I do not see/feel a nut or a cotter key. Not even sure that i would be able to get a tool in that tight space if could see the nut. Any last words before I take her into MC?

FrankSchwab
06-18-2012, 01:23 AM
It sounds like you're looking at the shaft seal, which is mounted on the hull of the boat where the propshaft comes through.

You need to get to the transmission - which is attached on the bow end of the engine. On mine, if I pull the rear seat and the cooler insert under it, I can see the transmission, and where the propshaft is attached to the bow side of the transmission.

/frank

Boardpower
06-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Tooooo easy, found it. I will send out a photo of the before/after. Next thing, I'm not able to find the nut / cotter key. Can i just get a machine threaded nut from the local hardware store? Do I need to add a washer between the nut and 4 bolt coupler?

-V-
06-18-2012, 09:44 AM
mine didn't have a washer, just the nut.

jmw
06-18-2012, 10:30 AM
The nut has to be there, it likely bounced to the back of the boat or is hung up around a bilge pump etc but yes you can purchase the nut from a hardware store just make sure you get one with nylon to prevent it from backing off again.

jmw
06-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Also, watch your bilge the next time out. Since the shaft likely bounced and vibrated around you may have damaged the shaft seal. The seal is held in the red boot you were looking at by those hose clamps. If it needs replaced there are plenty of articles on here but you will probably have to pull the prop to get enough clearance to slide the old seal off and slip the new one on. Loosen the hose clamps slide out old seal and silde new seal in and retighten hose clamps it's a PIA on the vdrive with little room to work under there but your halfway there with the shaft loose.... new seal is $25 on skimdim just replaced mine.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ2041B

ttu
06-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Also, watch your bilge the next time out. Since the shaft likely bounced and vibrated around you may have damaged the shaft seal. The seal is held in the red boot you were looking at by those hose clamps. If it needs replaced there are plenty of articles on here but you will probably have to pull the prop to get enough clearance to slide the old seal off and slip the new one on. Loosen the hose clamps slide out old seal and silde new seal in and retighten hose clamps it's a PIA on the vdrive with little room to work under there but your halfway there with the shaft loose.... new seal is $25 on skimdim just replaced mine.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ2041B

that is great advice. looked at the part you posted and that's the same part i had to replace on my rudder seal to stop a bad leak.

Boardpower
06-19-2012, 01:41 AM
THANKS for all the help!! Problem has been solved. I found the nut hanging out under the motor as well as pieces of the sheered cotter pin.

Photos for future reference:
http://www.vlgflashreview.com/mastercraft/propshaft-coupler.png
http://www.vlgflashreview.com/mastercraft/propshaft-nut.png
http://www.vlgflashreview.com/mastercraft/propshaft-complete.png

mtajpa
06-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Glad you got it all fixed. Funny though it just came off that way. If you wanted to take it off then it would have probably been stuck on!:rolleyes: That would have been my luck.

Hrkdrivr
06-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Interesting, on my '06 X-45 (L18) the nut is not castellated (it's just a big nylock nut like the one that holds the prop on) and I don't think the prop shaft has a hole for a cotter pin. I'm gonna have to go check that out again.

langedp
06-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Interesting, on my '06 X-45 (L18) the nut is not castellated (it's just a big nylock nut like the one that holds the prop on) and I don't think the prop shaft has a hole for a cotter pin. I'm gonna have to go check that out again.

My '07 X-Star with L18 is the same. A big nylock nut. It did the same thing described here about 2 years ago. Nut spun off somehow and when in reverse the shaft backed all the way out of the coupler. Thought I lost the prop or worse. After being towed in we discovered the shaft all the back to the rudder. Bought a new nut from SkiDim. Talked to a mechanic at my dealership and he said reef it down as tight as you can get it. Hasn't come off yet. I do check it every season though.