PDA

View Full Version : Mailing 1.51:1 transmission

darule336
08-24-2005, 12:51 AM
I am mailing my transmission i am looking to send it out tomarrow just curious how you guys have done it. The guy i talked to said to use a milk crate. And the one i got was to small. I remember saying that i could take the reduction part off. but that also did not fit. so today i saw this cooler that it should fit in. But with the weight of this thing. which i do believe is roughly 150 lbs. So i myself cant even lift it in the cooler. So i am just trying to here a few examples or a little bit of advice. Or would it be better to ship it seperate(tran, and reduction). And for the guys who have shipped it how much did it weight. It will cost about the same to ship seperately SOOOOO Just need a little Help

Also it was really fun taking this tranny of the engine myself :woohoo: and i didn't break anything. But i couldn't actually lift it out of the boat.

DAn

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Find a company around that disposes of old pallets. Like a manufacturing plants. Then strap it to the pallet and haul it to a local FED_EX freight or similar. There are alot of shipping options on the internet, a good place to start is an auction site. They have advertisers for shipping heavy and bulk items all over the world. I have heard Grayhound does some shipping too now, but it takes awhile from A to B. You may also have to saran wrap it too, but some don't care. Depends on who you find locally.

Ric
08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
I am mailing my transmission i am looking to send it out tomarrow just curious how you guys have done it. The guy i talked to said to use a milk crate. And the one i got was to small. I remember saying that i could take the reduction part off. but that also did not fit. so today i saw this cooler that it should fit in. But with the weight of this thing. which i do believe is roughly 150 lbs. So i myself cant even lift it in the cooler. So i am just trying to here a few examples or a little bit of advice. Or would it be better to ship it seperate(tran, and reduction). And for the guys who have shipped it how much did it weight. It will cost about the same to ship seperately SOOOOO Just need a little Help

Also it was really fun taking this tranny of the engine myself :woohoo: and i didn't break anything. But i couldn't actually lift it out of the boat.

DAn

I'd say the same about the crates, just find a place that throws out alot of pallets and get you a small one
even build sides on it if you want.
what did they quote you to ship it?
what does it weigh?
I use an air freight service from here fairly often so pm me if you need a contact for them

ski_king
08-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Get a heavy duty Rubbermaid container, use lots of foam on the bottom, sides and top so the transmission is a tight fit. You do not want it to be able to move around at all!
Use lots of strapping around the container, all directions.

May also be a good idea to cut a piece of plywood to fit the container first and strap the transmission to it. Then use above process.

Make sure it is insured.

I have shipped items like this before at work, usually not a problem.

UPS can do it at 150 lb., but will cost you close to $150.

Better yet, check with jrandol, I believe he shipped his out for repair on his old boat.

darule336
09-16-2005, 11:33 PM
I ended up pulling the gear reduction off and shipping separately cost 120 total using ups. I had ffi overhaul my tranny works great.

stumbledog
09-20-2005, 07:48 AM
What did they charge you to rebuild your tranny. Mine is in need of some work.