PDA

View Full Version : Speedos not working

SkiMor
06-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi guys, this is my first question on the site. I just bought a 98 Sportstar in great shape! During the test drive only one speedo worked. Seller said it must of picked up some debri. When I put it in my lake neither speedos work. I blew in the from the speedo end to the back and water/air comes out the hose when disconneted from the pick up. I'm thinking the problem is a blocked pickup but unsure how to clear it. I would like to correct it while in the water if possible. Thanks

madcityskier
06-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Blowing backward through the tube should do it. Usually just hard on the reverse is enough.

petermegan
06-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Never tried it but don't see why you couldn't remove them from the boat and blow compressed air through them.

charrison327
06-17-2012, 09:14 AM
like they stated above, and if that doesn't help.....you can always replace the lines. you can order the replacement line from skidim.com

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5100632

mikeg205
06-17-2012, 10:04 AM
never blow air toward the speedos -it will damage them - most likely the inexpensive air lines....us a paper clip to clean out pitots.

Jorski
06-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Try an opened paper clip...or a large safety pin. The blockage is usually in the pick up.

tdjaster
06-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi guys, this is my first question on the site. I just bought a 98 Sportstar in great shape! During the test drive only one speedo worked. Seller said it must of picked up some debri. When I put it in my lake neither speedos work. I blew in the from the speedo end to the back and water/air comes out the hose when disconneted from the pick up. I'm thinking the problem is a blocked pickup but unsure how to clear it. I would like to correct it while in the water if possible. Thanks

I've got the same boat, new to me in March of this year. Post some pics of your new beauty!

Kyle
06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Sometimes if you run through grass clippings or just floating junk it can wedge into the pickups.

Trying to dig out the trash with a paper clip or safety pin can only further pack the pickup tube.

I have used a small drill bit and run it in by hand spinning the bit with my fingers. The blockage then will get spun into the bit and when you remove the bit all of the junk will get pulled out.

I always check my transmission cooler too so that I know there is nothing stuck in the screen.

SkiMor
06-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I got both pickups cleaned out today with a small drill bit. They are working again. Thanks for the advice everyone!