PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Maristar purchase

erbmjb
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm looking at a 98 200vrs. Will be taking it out for a ride today. I did see it in person last week and noticed pretty deep chips (2) ea. that went past the gelcoat near the prop and also one seat cushion needs new vinyl. Cover has large hole, walk thru glass does not have latches anymore, and a few dock scratches, otherwise in good shape. Has near 500 hrs and includes trailer. They are asking 17,900. Is this a reasonable price? I am seeing the same boat being asked for anywhere between 16 and 23 and I can only assume if they have near the same hrs, they have cosmetic issues similar to these. Where do you feel I should start my offer at or do I eat it up at this price?

Thanks,

E

grizzly
06-16-2012, 12:19 PM
I think that's a great price! I also have a 230 for sale w 720hr and I'm looking for 20-23k it's a 99, my dealer thought that was to cheep. Good luck

mikeg205
06-16-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm looking at a 98 200vrs. Will be taking it out for a ride today. I did see it in person last week and noticed pretty deep chips (2) ea. that went past the gelcoat near the prop and also one seat cushion needs new vinyl. Cover has large hole, walk thru glass does not have latches anymore, and a few dock scratches, otherwise in good shape. Has near 500 hrs and includes trailer. They are asking 17,900. Is this a reasonable price? I am seeing the same boat being asked for anywhere between 16 and 23 and I can only assume if they have near the same hrs, they have cosmetic issues similar to these. Where do you feel I should start my offer at or do I eat it up at this price?

Thanks,

E

Don't forget the 1-2K you will put it..to make it your own. You can always go down and they may counter. IF you have cash in hand visible it may change dynamics of negotiation.

Did you follow the inspection checklist at Guide to buy used boat? (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47) from here?

jafo9
06-16-2012, 05:48 PM
pics would be great. the chips near the prop - are they from the prop? which motor?

don't let the vinyl scare you away. its actually a lot easier than i thought it would be to replace select vinyl skins, but use that to your advantage in haggling.

toolz
06-17-2012, 01:41 AM
I bought my 200VRS last fall for $16,500 with 113 hours and a LT1, nearly flawless. There are deals out there- just takes a while to find them. I see you are in the midwest- there was a '00 210VRS on Fox lake near Chicago last fall with under 300 hours (IIRC), asking $18,000 neg. Needed a good clean-up, but a nice boat. It was my second choice if the '08 fell through. If I can find the old ad, I'll post it here. Might still be there.

bturner2
06-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Next boat please. You're buying in high season. You'll find a lot better if you wait. I sold a 95 200VRS that was in much better shape 4 years ago for $15K with near the same hours which I considered a fair price at the time. Of course it was the older version of that model but still that boat should be in near perfect condition for that price. You may miss a good portion of the season but there will be much better deals out there for that kind of cash if you can wait.

As for offering on this one. I'd be subtracting what it would cost to get it where it should be for the asking price. Based on your observations this is what I have.....

New cover $800
Interior $400
Tune Up $300 If the boat is rough on the outside imagine what you can't see.
Trailer work $300 Same as above. I'd bet the trailer brakes don't work or need work.
Gel Coat $500 Don't know the extent of the scratches so this is just a guess
Misc $500 Wax, polish fixing the unknown

I'm at $15K or somewhere real close to it. My mind set would say either get it for a price that will allow you to fix it up or take that cash and buy a nicer boat. Another $3K would put you in a better price bracket and allow you to buy a better boat while expanding your purchase options.

erbmjb
06-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks all. The boat sold; some guy showed up the morning I was to take it out with 18k cash sight unseen and drove away with it. I will keep my patience and keep looking.

ahhudgins
06-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks all. The boat sold; some guy showed up the morning I was to take it out with 18k cash sight unseen and drove away with it. I will keep my patience and keep looking.

I think it worked out for the best. I bought my used 95 200VRS about 5 years ago and it was in mint condition, some people at my lake thought it was new. The dealer had it listed at $16.5K and he came down a few thousand when I made him an offer. 18K for what you described seems high to me.