PDA

View Full Version : What's your batteries setup ?

Fab
06-16-2012, 09:49 AM
I recently had the problem of having to full drained batteries (bilge pumps working cuz of hard rain for 3 full weeks) and after unplugging them I noticed that those batteries are only 50amp ?!

I have a 2008 X2 with full stereo, 2 amps, 4 tower spkrs so I found those 50amp batteries were just weak for the purpose...

I'm looking forward to replace them with 100amp low drain batteries...

Do you have the same setup in your boat ?

JimN
06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
I recently had the problem of having to full drained batteries (bilge pumps working cuz of hard rain for 3 full weeks) and after unplugging them I noticed that those batteries are only 50amp ?!

I have a 2008 X2 with full stereo, 2 amps, 4 tower spkrs so I found those 50amp batteries were just weak for the purpose...

I'm looking forward to replace them with 100amp low drain batteries...

Do you have the same setup in your boat ?

You mean 50 AH, which stands for Amp Hours? That's reserve time and has nothing to co with Cold Cranking Amps. You need a cranking battery for the engine and if you will use a reserve battery, you can use a deep cycle, but don't expect your alternator to like trying to recharge a dead battery- that's not what alternators are for. They're really for recharging a cranking battery that has been partially discharged from cranking and to provide some reserve for heavy demand from accessories.

Google the battery brand/part number and post the links here.

tex
06-16-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't know how you do it in France but here in Texas-Black on Neg/Red on Positive.

Fab
06-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Yes I do know this guys ;)

Actually I don't know if my batteries are stock or have already been changed by the previous owner in belgium or france...

Those are 50AH batteries, the engine isn't the problem but 50AH seems to be not enough for all the electrical parts on these boats...

JimN
06-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes I do know this guys ;)

Actually I don't know if my batteries are stock or have already been changed by the previous owner in belgium or france...

Those are 50AH batteries, the engine isn't the problem but 50AH seems to be not enough for all the electrical parts on these boats...

With little rain, the 50AH batteries are probably enough but if you look around, reserve isn't usually the main criterion for selecting a battery because it's usually not being left to operate most of the accessories for a long period before the engine is re-started. Where do you keep the boat-docked, or on a trailer? If it's on a trailer, is there a way for you to supply AC power so a battery tender can be connected? That way, you don't need to worry about the batteries dying. If you can't do that, maybe a solar battery charger/tender would work.

Fab
06-17-2012, 07:25 AM
The boat is docked that's why it's exposed to some serious rainy day !

I will take a pic of the batteries, I wonder if they'r stock from factory...

JimN
06-17-2012, 09:35 AM
The boat is docked that's why it's exposed to some serious rainy day !

I will take a pic of the batteries, I wonder if they'r stock from factory...

The boats are shipped without batteries, which are installed by the dealer during pre-sale setup.

Is this a private dock, or public? In either case, is it possible to set up a shore power connection that's safe near water, so you can use a battery tender or trickle charger?