PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X45 Stereo issue

slwayland
06-15-2012, 11:48 PM
I have the stereo that came with the boat.....4 jl tower speakers, normal jl speakers that came with boat throughout plus the 2 amps. Well, the smaller of the 2 amps is the M2150 and it has apparently gone bad...most of my speakers won't work now and when they do it's all muffled. Since that amp is no longer made what is a good alternative??

sand2snow22
06-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Rockford Fosgate. We just had a local stereo shop put 8 wetsounds, 4 kicker 12" subs, 8,000 watts of Rockford Fosgate power and 4 Kinetik batteries in a customers X-80. It sounds great, overkill, maybe. My guy at the stereo shop doesn't like the JL amps, he thinks there are better amps out there. He likes Rockford Fosgate. I have them in my 2011 Malibu with matching sub and speakers. It sounds better than the MC JL system.

EarmarkMarine
06-16-2012, 10:37 AM
You must know exactly what that amplifier was driving and what the load impedance is before deciding on another amplifier. Factory uses very high quality JL Audio gear but does power things too conservatively to deliver the speaker's potential. Depending on the existing scheme, you may want to replace the two-channel with a four-channel.
And don't replace the amplifier until you have it bench checked independently of the boat. I realize you are in the middle of the season but usually you can get an amplifier repaired for a flat rate of around $100. Extensive water damage would be the exception. You will have trouble replacing that amp in quality with another $300 model.

David
Earmark Marine

oldschool
06-16-2012, 09:06 PM
I would take a look at polk or mtx, and don't pay near as much attention to peak power wattage as rms. Do your woofers have the tweeter on them or are they component speakers?

slwayland
06-17-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm not really sure now what speakers are going to the little amp....since the system doesn't really work anymore I'd be guessing. In know there are 4 sets of speaker wire going into it one side and one set of RCA jacks going into the other....that's the extent of my knowledge about what the amp is doing.

I was just planning on getting a "similarly equipped" amp and just unplug from bad amp into new amp.....I was just hoping David could tell me a good alternative amp to the M2150????