PDA

View Full Version : Trick Ski

6ballsisall
08-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Does anyone here trick ski on 1 trick ski? I tried it for the 1st time tonight. It took me 4 starts to get up on one but really enjoyed it once I got up. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to do tricks on one?

Todd Brosius
08-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Yes, I have tricked skied on one for several years now. I NOT a pro but I get along fairly well. There is (or used to be) a video out there by Cory Pickos on single trick skiing. Once you can ride the ski forward comfortably, then when right behind the boat, turn the ski perpendicular, or in trick ski terms, "side slide." Keep a tight line and keep your eyes on the pylon. Remember where the eyes go so goes the body. Once comfortable with the side slide, then attempt skiing backwards. It takes a lot of practice and a patient boat driver!!

Mag_Red
08-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Mt twim sister used to get up bakwards on two trick skiis. Funny as hell as all you'd see, just before you hit the gas, was her big *** sticking out of the water. :purplaugh

6ballsisall
08-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes, I have tricked skied on one for several years now. I NOT a pro but I get along fairly well. There is (or used to be) a video out there by Cory Pickos on single trick skiing. Once you can ride the ski forward comfortably, then when right behind the boat, turn the ski perpendicular, or in trick ski terms, "side slide." Keep a tight line and keep your eyes on the pylon. Remember where the eyes go so goes the body. Once comfortable with the side slide, then attempt skiing backwards. It takes a lot of practice and a patient boat driver!!

Thanks Todd!! I'll give it a whirl. I feel comfortable skiing on it and can go over the wakes just fine. I'll give that slide a try. I tried to do a 360 by jumping the wake, yeah I didn't land that one :rolleyes: Does it help to have a back stirup on the trick ski? The one I used didn't and you just kinda put your back foot on top of the ski

6ballsisall
08-23-2005, 11:19 PM
BTW Todd where is Holdredge, NE? I was born in Imperial, NE and have family in Aurora, NE

6ballsisall
08-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Mt twim sister used to get up bakwards on two trick skiis. Funny as hell as all you'd see, just before you hit the gas, was her big *** sticking out of the water. :purplaugh

Haha! I remember them days. I used to do the 2 trick ski thang. It was fun trying 360 table tops

erkoehler
08-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks Todd!! I'll give it a whirl. I feel comfortable skiing on it and can go over the wakes just fine. I'll give that slide a try. I tried to do a 360 by jumping the wake, yeah I didn't land that one :rolleyes: Does it help to have a back stirup on the trick ski? The one I used didn't and you just kinda put your back foot on top of the ski

The back plate/stirup will help alot because you can them use that foot for manuvering and support.

peason
08-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Jeff, how did you start? One leg dragging? I have a set of trick ski's and I tried 2 years ago to get up on one and ended up pulling my ham string - man did it turn black and blue - still hurts at times.
That summer - just so I could get a slalom run in I had to get up on 2 and drop because I couldn't handle the pain and I didn't want to risk injury again.

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Jeff, how did you start? One leg dragging? I have a set of trick ski's and I tried 2 years ago to get up on one and ended up pulling my ham string - man did it turn black and blue - still hurts at times.
That summer - just so I could get a slalom run in I had to get up on 2 and drop because I couldn't handle the pain and I didn't want to risk injury again.

Like a double boot slalom. Both feet inline just like I would on a slalom ski

Lottawatta
08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Does anyone here trick ski on 1 trick ski? I tried it for the 1st time tonight. It took me 4 starts to get up on one but really enjoyed it once I got up. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to do tricks on one?
Jeff,
A couple of golden rules to remember when tricking. First, always keep the handle down (as low as possible) and close to the body. Second keep back straight, feet close together, and "squat" when doing tricks. By squat, I mean point your knees away from one another, like a ballet dancer. Eyes on the horizon and you should pick up all of your surface turns quickly. You need to come up to the lake sometime, I am always open to coaching new trickers or jumpers.
Greg

BrianM
08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
I have been riding around a single trick for a while. One suggestion that I got from a tricker at our lake was to get comfortable riding the ski with just one foot. Cross the wakes etc with the back foot up and out of the strap. Really helps your balance on the ski. I can do a side slide and am comfortable riding now with one foot in and can make a 180 360 every now and then. I just don't put very much time in on the ski. I have only ridden it once this season as I hae been addicted to the bouys. Trick is fun just takes lots of practice.

Chef23
08-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Your back foot should be at an angle of about 45* as well. Somebody above talked about getting up with both feet straight like a slalom.

The advice about keeping your eyes on the horizon is great. Looking down at the water will kill you.

I don't do it much anymore but I used to have helicopters, wake back to backs, some toe and line tricks in my repertoir when I was younger. Now I mostly do some surface tricks and simple wake tricks.

rodltg2
08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
if you dont have a back binding you are porbably using the wrong ski from the double set.

Crash
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
We have a pair of old Cypress Garden Wood Trick Skiis that we pull out every 10 years for laughs. They're like dancing on ice, very funny to watch newbies. There is a fella on my lake who is awesome at tricking. My 10yr. and I tried it but we weren't able to land the 180, more like a 179 :)

I wouldn't be qualified to give you tips as we just had beginners luck, but keep trying its an enjoyable sport to watch!

PS What do you think those CG Skiis are worth? (metal bindings)

Todd Brosius
08-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Holdrege is located in south central Nebraska about 30 miles from Kearney. We ski on a lake @ Lexington and on a lake in North Platte. My trick skiing involves surface tricks, such as side slide, 180s, 360s and air tricks 180 front to back, back to front and 360s. I'm no pro but I've worked at it a long time. NO flips for me. After age 35 I don't put my but over my head. I stay healthier that way. I don't heal as fast as I used to. By the way where can I get the heel strap to secure your back foot into place?