PDA

View Full Version : Are ski boats sea worthy?

ANDY12
06-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I have been recently interested in buying my own ski boat for recreational purposes (probably a pro star 197) and i would like to use it in both fresh and salt water.

I know for a fact that a ski boat hull is not ideal for choppy waters but what i would like to know is how crap they really are.:huh: lol and what are really its limitations

Besides skiing I would also like to take it out on short trips 3-12 miles (open water) and being confident that i will get back safely if weather turns nasty.

What do you think?

JDC
06-14-2012, 10:08 PM
IMO, that would be the wrong boat for your application.

snobinge
06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't....I don't even like driving mine on a weekend in inland lakes in WI.

Sullivan
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
You better clarify what the water is like where you plan on using it. I ski in Puget Sound from time to time and a 197 is a great choice for those waters.

JohnE
06-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Forget about a ski boat for that. A wake/ surf boat will do it such as an X25, X35, X45 SS

Latin Flyer
06-14-2012, 10:37 PM
I bought an x2 for garage reasons, could no be happier for the way in handles, and i go to ocean open waters!!!!

JohnE
06-14-2012, 10:55 PM
I bought an x2 for garage reasons, could no be happier for the way in handles, and i go to ocean open waters!!!!

I'd go there too in a SS X2. Didn't mean to leave it out of my earlier post.

hragsarkissian
06-15-2012, 03:20 AM
I have an X25, and the ocean is all we've got here. I sometimes drive as much as 30 miles and I've seen some REAL choppy water. Boat handles real well. Nevertheless, i see quite a few prostars and nautiques all around. You should be fine, however i wouldn't go 12 miles out alone. Having someone else around with a bigger boat would allow you to stay in their wake in case the water gets rough. Also consider a 205 over a 197, the extra weight and length will help and a closed bow might make things easier too.

DJ 50
06-15-2012, 07:12 AM
I have a 197 and it's no fun in chopping water. I would never take it out if the water was white capping at all. It's not fun long before the water gets to that height.

ANDY12
06-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Forget about a ski boat for that. A wake/ surf boat will do it such as an X25, X35, X45 SS

Well the water can be calm simillar to a typical lake where i would go normaly skiing and on windy days i plan to take it out on short distance trips.

ANDY12
06-15-2012, 07:55 AM
The main problem in the med(Greece) is that there are sudden wind swings so you might get caught up in the middle of the trip or the way back so even though you wouldnt choose to take the boat out on a windy day the choice might not be there on the way back

Fab
06-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Well personnaly I would **** in my pants to drive my X2 in open sea water (30 miles offshore ? that's tough!!), The choppy water on our small 15km lake is already some big time !! better consider a closed bow for sure with a higher/taller hull or you gona get showered on every wave

broncotw
06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
I think the Prostar 197 is the wrong boat for the application in which you are intending to utilize it for.... I am sure you could get away with running it offshore and in windy conditions but IMO you will be subjecting yourself to some very uncomfortable situations.... The Prostar 190 and 197 are "competition ski boats" that are at their optimum performance in calm waters... I think a boat with more of a deep "V" such as a wakeboard boat would fill your needs....

moleson10
06-15-2012, 11:29 AM
I had a 197 for several years and used it on the Columbia river. This was in the gorge area which can get quite windy and rough. The boat can handle rough water if you keep the nose up. And it's solid enough that it doesn't get beat up too badly, just have to go slow.

The biggest downside is the low nose. Once you drop the speed down to idle it will take water over the bow with even small waves. Prior to the 197 I had a ski natique. It handled the rough water better mostly because it had higher freeboard. If it's a ski boat you're after, you may want something with more freeboard.

shepherd
06-15-2012, 11:39 AM
The main problem in the med(Greece) is that there are sudden wind swings so you might get caught up in the middle of the trip or the way back so even though you wouldnt choose to take the boat out on a windy day the choice might not be there on the way back

That's the problem I see with taking a 197 out in open water. With the low nose and small freeboard, if you get caught out there in anything bigger than 1 meter waves you may lose your boat. Sure, you can keep your nose up and probably survive but it will be dicey.

onejdgreen
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I think the Prostar 197 is the wrong boat for the application in which you are intending to utilize it for.... I am sure you could get away with running it offshore and in windy conditions but IMO you will be subjecting yourself to some very uncomfortable situations.... The Prostar 190 and 197 are "competition ski boats" that are at their optimum performance in calm waters... I think a boat with more of a deep "V" such as a wakeboard boat would fill your needs....

I agree with bronco. I own a 197 and it does take water over the nose quite often. Even on a calm day you can take water over the nose. I would look at an X2 or bigger to keep the nose out of the water.

Thrall
06-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Having been on large lakes (Lake of the Ozarks, Powell, Flaming Gorge, etc) with my PS 190, I'll echo the others with respect ot harsh ride...to say the least if it gets real choppy.
That said, I've made it through some hairy stuff in the 190. You DON'T have to worry about the boat falling apart at all, just if you take a big one over the bow.

To be best prepared, have a cockpit snap in cover for the bow seating area, so a wave over the bow doesn't automatically fill the boat and have provisions for 6-800# of ballast in back to keep the nose high in waves. WIth that combo you can easily run 3-4' chop. Rough ride, but pretty safe if you know how to drive it.
That said, get a boat with more freeboard and vee to it if you expect it to be at all the norm running in rough water.
Contrary to some previous posts, I think the newer X2's are easier to take water over the bow than most other models.
I'd reccomend an X15 or other v nose models over teh pickle forks though, they slope down too much in front and scoop water up easier.

ANDY12
06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
I get your points and i realise that i cant have the best of both worlds without sacrifising either performance (skiing) and using the boat as an all rounder.

Thing is that even though my primary intention is to use it on calm lake or open water (when the chance is given) for skiing i would hate not to take the boat on at least small trips of 6 miles or less even with modest chop

I didnt mention it but i am primarily interested in slalom skiing so having an X 20 r X30 would be of no real use since we dont wakeboard.

I know i might be asking a bit too much from a dedicated ski boat so i am looking at my options right now.

Trig2275
06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
X-15 is decent for skiing and has a higher freeboard. X-14v will ski better than the X-15 and will be a good all arounder.

petermegan
06-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Most people here in OZ would go for an outboard for a dual purpose boat. Even a lot of the ski schools are using them for slalom and barefooting. This may suit better than a midmount with a heat exchanger for salt use. It is a shame if you had your sights set on a 197 but just my .02

DJ 50
06-16-2012, 03:54 AM
I get your points and i realise that i cant have the best of both worlds without sacrifising either performance (skiing) and using the boat as an all rounder.

Thing is that even though my primary intention is to use it on calm lake or open water (when the chance is given) for skiing i would hate not to take the boat on at least small trips of 6 miles or less even with modest chop

I didnt mention it but i am primarily interested in slalom skiing so having an X 20 r X30 would be of no real use since we dont wakeboard.

I know i might be asking a bit too much from a dedicated ski boat so i am looking at my options right now.

Just solve the problem and buy two boats. One for skiing and one for crusing.

Having been on large lakes (Lake of the Ozarks, Powell, Flaming Gorge, etc) with my PS 190, I'll echo the others with respect ot harsh ride...to say the least if it gets real choppy.

I could not imagine being at Ozarks in my 197. You have bigger and hairy ones then me.

Fab
06-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Well If you want to use your boat in choppy water, there's no really interest to choose a perfect ski boat IMO, a ski boat will give you the best pull but it needs perfect glass water, the choppy conditions will ruin the wake behind the boat anyway, You should then go to an outboard boat which are really designed for open sea most of the time and will give you enough safety not to end as a submarine !! :-)

Eagle
06-16-2012, 08:41 PM
My recommendation: buy two boats. The ocean is nothing to mess with and bad weather can come up fast. It's not worth the risk.

ANDY12
06-17-2012, 03:02 PM
My recommendation: buy two boats. The ocean is nothing to mess with and bad weather can come up fast. It's not worth the risk.

I already have a zodiac with a mercury outboard. I just cant get to terms with the fact that i will buy a boat that i will only use for skiing.