PDA

View Full Version : Power turns and tubers

Brian B
06-14-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm noticing more and more that people have zero common sense when pulling people at the lake. Like 95% of the time I'm seeing people power turn back to their down rider. Unless we're out with the rising sun, people seem to have no clue how to not blow out the water. Its the guys who are up at 5 am who actually have a clue!

And if tubers arent bad enough, I have been seeing wakeboats weighted for pulling tubers. Last week on a Wednesday, there was a Tige RZR Slammed and running figure 8's for hours in the middle of the lake. I generally mind my own business, but I would have given that dude a piece of my mind if he had come close enough. We had to sit around for a couple hours waiting to ride cause of that douche. Yesterday, this happened again. Go by the damn with your effing tubes and you dont need to slam the boat for pulling tubes!

:noface:

Sorry for the rant, but this crap has been eating at me all season!

AZX45OD
06-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Which lake were you on the other day with the Tige?

Brian B
06-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Saguaro

snork
06-14-2012, 06:40 PM
I feel your pain, where I go it would get ridiculous with tubers but this year more and more are beginning to stand upright on a wakeboard giving a change a try "Evolution"
It doesn't hurt to give the crowd a show from time to time even a free pull to young beginners

sheckski
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Brian. Well said. Unfortunately there is no obvious solution. Hopefully the one upside to 4 gas is that it discourages endless tubing.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

kgrove
06-14-2012, 06:51 PM
My kids make me pull them in a tube and it pains me every time, not to mention the embarrassment of using a high priced wakeboard boat to do something better suited to an outboard. In my defense, I'm smart about it and never pull tubes in good wakeboarding water - always take the boat somewhere where only a clueless wakeboarder would ever go in the first place. So if you see a Mastercraft circling near the damn at Saguaro and the driver is wearing a bag on his head or Groucho Marks glasses, wave to me.

Tubes are like crack cocaine for kids... Too easy to have fun, so once they try it they're hooked. I instituted a rule a few years ago that nobody tubes unless they wakeboard first (except for the really young kids). My goal is eventually to wean them off tubes as their wakeboarding skills improve so they feel more pride and accomplishment. In the meantime, I have to keep giving my kids a little dose of tubing to get them excited enough to deal with the drive to the lake, the heat, etc.

Brian B
06-14-2012, 06:56 PM
^ I completely understand the kid thing. You have to take them tubing, no question. But people who have a clue do it by the dam, and they dont slam the boat.

What does your boat look like kgrove?

kgrove
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Mostly black X15 - white butt with red Mastercraft lettering. I don't get out often - Bartlett if it's a weekend, Saguaro if I'm able to go at dawn and/or weekdays. Between work and having friends who are sissies, I don't get out early very often.

tommcat
06-14-2012, 07:43 PM
easy solution to people asking you to tube is make sure a bunch of people who normally like to tube are on your boat, and then take one or two people for the scariest, most brutal tube run any of them have seen and nobody will ask you to tube again. if i am the one asking to take people for a run they all refuse, it works out great.

my lucky opportunity was a young punk that spouted off with "nobody can get me off a tube" and i popped right out of my chair for that chance. first off i proved that i could get him off the tube within 5 seconds of starting, did that a few times to prove a point and then proceeded to abuse him for about a half hour. he called it quits and i havent been asked to pull a tube in about 5 years, no joke.

pram
06-14-2012, 08:02 PM
I tube all the time and love it

it is a hoot

Brian B
06-14-2012, 08:05 PM

it is a hoot

Thats real special. Care to add anything to your statement in regards to where you tube, and how you dont run any ballast while doing it?

Brian B
06-14-2012, 08:08 PM
easy solution to people asking you to tube is make sure a bunch of people who normally like to tube are on your boat, and then take one or two people for the scariest, most brutal tube run any of them have seen and nobody will ask you to tube again. if i am the one asking to take people for a run they all refuse, it works out great.

my lucky opportunity was a young punk that spouted off with "nobody can get me off a tube" and i popped right out of my chair for that chance. first off i proved that i could get him off the tube within 5 seconds of starting, did that a few times to prove a point and then proceeded to abuse him for about a half hour. he called it quits and i havent been asked to pull a tube in about 5 years, no joke.

Thats good stuff! lol

Be careful though. I was on a friends X-Star and he was pulling a girl who hit a wake and became airborn. When she came down on the tube, she folded in half backwards and we thought for sure she had a broken neck or back. When we got to her she was borderline lifeless in the water. She came around and was OK, but it was one of the scariest scenes I have seen on the water.....

MariStar-Man
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
This clip is where some of the folks learned their power turns for tubing...

Fortunately, I tube in a little finger of the lake way in the back where i don't disturb anyone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvOsvrhR4M

03 35th Anniversary
06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
My kids make me pull them in a tube and it pains me every time, not to mention the embarrassment of using a high priced wakeboard boat to do something better suited to an outboard. In my defense, I'm smart about it and never pull tubes in good wakeboarding water - always take the boat somewhere where only a clueless wakeboarder would ever go in the first place. So if you see a Mastercraft circling near the damn at Saguaro and the driver is wearing a bag on his head or Groucho Marks glasses, wave to me.

Tubes are like crack cocaine for kids... Too easy to have fun, so once they try it they're hooked. I instituted a rule a few years ago that nobody tubes unless they wakeboard first (except for the really young kids). My goal is eventually to wean them off tubes as their wakeboarding skills improve so they feel more pride and accomplishment. In the meantime, I have to keep giving my kids a little dose of tubing to get them excited enough to deal with the drive to the lake, the heat, etc.

I feel your pain........ I have a little girl and her little friend that is all about the tube!!!

snork
06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Tuber Tom where you at?

medicmoose
06-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm noticing more and more that people have zero common sense when pulling people at the lake. Like 95% of the time I'm seeing people power turn back to their down rider. Unless we're out with the rising sun, people seem to have no clue how to not blow out the water. Its the guys who are up at 5 am who actually have a clue!

And if tubers arent bad enough, I have been seeing wakeboats weighted for pulling tubers. Last week on a Wednesday, there was a Tige RZR Slammed and running figure 8's for hours in the middle of the lake. I generally mind my own business, but I would have given that dude a piece of my mind if he had come close enough. We had to sit around for a couple hours waiting to ride cause of that douche. Yesterday, this happened again. Go by the damn with your effing tubes and you dont need to slam the boat for pulling tubes!

:noface:

Sorry for the rant, but this crap has been eating at me all season!

Unfortunately, there are probably some people who like their canoes and kayaks who are ranting on about guys like you. Yes, yes....we all want our own personal lake and everyone should only like doing what we like to do.

Sorry, but I get tired of these rants because I participate in all kinds of water sports (Wakeboarding, jet skiing, paddle boarding, kayaking, etc.) and everyone has a rant about "those other people".

And don't get us going on that God fellow that kicks up the winds!!!! :rolleyes:

BrooksfamX2
06-14-2012, 09:22 PM

it is a hoot

We tube all the time also, no ballast. The kids and grand kids love it. We wont stop tubing anytime soon. In fact, just put them in the boat for the weekend trip........ there are stupid boaters on the water no matter what they are doing, and thats not likely to stop anytime soon either......:(

BrooksfamX2
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately, there are probably some people who like their canoes and kayaks who are ranting on about guys like you. Yes, yes....we all want our own personal lake and everyone should only like doing what we like to do.

Sorry, but I get tired of these rants because I participate in all kinds of water sports (Wakeboarding, jet skiing, paddle boarding, kayaking, etc.) and everyone has a rant about "those other people".

And don't get us going on that God fellow that kicks up the winds!!!! :rolleyes:

:):):)............

scott023
06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Thats real special. Care to add anything to your statement in regards to where you tube, and how you dont run any ballast while doing it?

He's in bc, and he hasn't got any ballast. He's not the issue here. :D

EricB
06-14-2012, 11:25 PM
"My kids make me pull them in a tube"

They "'make" you? Do they pay for gas too?

03 35th Anniversary
06-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Her Momma Does!!!

And We Know What Momma Has Control Over!!!

madcityskier
06-15-2012, 12:51 AM
This clip is where some of the folks learned their power turns for tubing...

Fortunately, I tube in a little finger of the lake way in the back where i don't disturb anyone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvOsvrhR4M

We're definitely on different pages. Where I'm from you're shoeing people throwing rollers around on a busy rough lake. A power turn is like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzDky8-9Kl4
And I would agree that everyone hates when someone on the lake does something different than they would. Try to keep in mind that they have the right to enjoy the lake their way too. That's why early morning sets are such a big part of skiing culture. That being said, I hate it when fishermen clog up the only smooth water on the lake so you can't get a single run in. What a bunch of *#&%@'s.

sand2snow22
06-15-2012, 12:53 AM
I used to get upset, too. Doesn't bother me much anymore. Like Medic, It's not my lake, it's public and people can play how they want to. There is always glass somewhere. I was one of those tubing kids. It was fun, my uncle perfected the S-turns. We grew out of them. We are the ONLY boat on our lake that does NOT powerturn. BTW check out my signature :) Maybe I should make a vinyl sticker and put it on the boat?

kgrove
06-15-2012, 01:13 AM

You don't have young kids, do you?

Do I have to tell my wife she looks just as hot as the day I met her? Yes.

Do I have to tell my kids I don't have a favorite and I love them all the same? Yes.

Do I have to tell my boss I'm happy to work for him and look forward to all I can learn from him? Yes.

Do I have to tell my in laws I'd love to spend the holidays with them? Yes.

Do I have to tell my wife I'd love to take her to a play and that I'm not doing it just to get in her pants? Yes.

The list of things I have to do if I know what's good for me is quite long. Pulling my kids in a tube for an hour is one of the least offensive duties I routinely "have to" do.

Brian B
06-15-2012, 01:43 AM
When my boy is old enough to be pulled behind the boat I'm getting him one of these.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/CWS-EZSKI100/EZ+Ski+Trainer.html?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google&gdftrk=gdfV22933_a_7c742_a_7c4604_a_7cCWS_d_EZSKI1 00&gclid=CLL848HEz7ACFSIHRQodCyWqYA

Anyone else try one with the kids?

jafo9
06-15-2012, 02:49 AM
my problem with tubers is not that i don't recognize their right to be there. i just hate parents encouraging their kids to be lazy. don't get me wrong, tubing can be lots of fun and we do tube our kids and their friends. we usually reserve that for later in the day when the water is already trashed. i push my kids to do something that requires skill and coordination. i'm so sick of seeing fat lazy kids being pulled on a "water sofa" around the lake for hours. i used this same logic with our jet skis. i see so many young kids riding daddies 15K couch doing stupid stuff. i sold all our couches but one and bought a stand up for myself and one for the kids. they love it and they rarely ask to go out on the sit-down ski.

Philscbx
06-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Some have tubing all wrong -
I totally agree - fishing - is always for reason around our docks. Total pita.
Jet Skis doing 70+ - Uturn 30 times non stop full length of the lake.

Tubing - there are some that don't like the water that much - they don't live on a lake -
Slow tubing at least gets them out of the boat and get wet.
Being their can lead to harder more skillful stuff later.

Real Tubing -
We rarely pull kids on tubes ever - there's no lame pontoon couch lounging here -
Tubing mania the right way, is bruising wild fun -

This is an adult war between tubes with two on each tube -
or one each - or more tubes -
The battle is brutal to get the others tube at MachII -
Until one remains on a tube. A few image/video's need uploading.

The lake is miles long - room for everyone.

-V-
06-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Her Momma Does!!!

And We Know What Momma Has Control Over!!!

Theres a saying I used to use that I heard somewhere before..........If she ain't happy, you ain't happy....and if she ain't happy long enough, you'll be unhappy with half yur stuff!!

bpinhigh
06-15-2012, 08:03 AM
I got no issues with what people do behind the boat, we tube on occasion. I do have a problem with how the majority of the people pulling the tubers drive. They just seem not to have any awareness of their surroundings. I can't even begin to count the times my boat and crew have been put in danger. It sucks but I deal with it by respecting others and leading by example. Also, I have been working with our local game wardens about educating boaters pulling anything about common courtesy on there "safety checks"

Granite_33
06-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Rules for my kids.
#1 Wakeboard first.
#2 Ski second (they never want to but I keep asking)
#3 Surfing third.
#4 Drive around the lake and swim fourth.

Only after they have done or tried to do the above, will I pull out the toob. And then, I pull them down the lake, make the occasional S turn, but never get too crazy and never in traffic.

I don't encourage it, and celebrate the days we spend doing anything BUT toobing. But if its a decision between the kids going in the house and sitting in front of the TV / Computer or toobing? Pull out the toob.

I second all the opinions out there about the toob drivers. Our lake is decent size, but still has counter clockwise driving rules. To see a Wally out there pulling a toob up the wrong side of the lake, then doing figure 8's on top of that? My blood boils. Most drive just fine though.

Granite_33
06-15-2012, 08:34 AM

Do I have to tell my kids I don't have a favorite and I love them all the same? Yes.

Do I have to tell my boss I'm happy to work for him and look forward to all I can learn from him? Yes.

Do I have to tell my wife I'd love to take her to a play and that I'm not doing it just to get in her pants? Yes.

The list of things I have to do if I know what's good for me is quite long. Pulling my kids in a tube for an hour is one of the least offensive duties I routinely "have to" do.

Spot on..... only instead of a "play", I offer "expensive wine".....net effect is the same....usually.

scott023
06-15-2012, 09:32 AM

classic post right here folks. :rotf:

tideengineer
06-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Hilarious....that is spot on.

As for tubing.....we do it in the middle of the day on weekends on our lake because that's when all the bowriders are out tubing and there is no chance of any worth while skiing or wakeboarding. When 5-6pm comes and the Bayliners go home, that's when the serious people decide to ski and wakeboard.

My kids are spoiled...we've skiied/wakeboarded two afternoons this week from 5-8 pm....only boats on the lake were two fisherman that I'm sure were fussing at us.

oh yeah....and I don't tube with any ballast...that makes the gas bill a little worse. We also have some people on our lake lobbying for outlawing ballasts....but that's a different story.

Heelgrad
06-15-2012, 09:52 AM
We also have some people on our lake lobbying for outlawing ballasts....but that's a different story.

I never thought I'd say this but thank goodness we boat on a lake chocked full of 40-50 footers . The thought of ever outlawing ballasts would not go very far here based on the wakes the 'white boats' put out. If you have any friends with a 32+ foot sportfish, ask them if you can give surfing a try behind it. It's quite an experience...

MattsCraft
06-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Certainly power turns are bad, tubers, whatever, we do pull a tube from time to time, only on vacation though, I refuse to bring it day outings and my kids know this for sure. (We had 2, one broke, just waiting for the second one to break, will not purchase another one)

Bigger pet peave for me is the friggen I/O drivers that come down our river spot when we are changing a rider etc, slow down to a 1500 to 2000 RPM, plow past and then get back on plane after they pass:rolleyes: Do they not realize they would push far less wake on plane:mad: I love to return the favor by rolling past surfing while they are anchored pushing 3 foot rollers accross their bow!

19_Skier
06-15-2012, 11:57 AM
lots of tubers on our small lake. Haven't had to pull a tube yet with the MC but its day will come with the little ones running around. Most people stay out in the larger area of the lake when tubing and most are pretty courteous.

Last weekend had a couple throwing large rollers while we were skiing, we did all we could to avoid them but everywhere we went they kept showing up with the damn tube! Nothing like hitting a 2 foot roller when you are in the apex of your turn. Cost of being on a small lake, I'll take the good with the bad though!

pram
06-15-2012, 12:08 PM

I actually don't run ballast in my boat unless you count my family and friends

shepherd
06-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Whipped. :cool:

kgrove
06-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Whipped. :cool:

You say whipped, I say still married and own both halves of my boat.

oxberger
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Now that's funny right there. If you don't keep the peace you get no piece:D

scott023
06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
You say whipped, I say still married and own both halves of my boat.

That's a thinking man right there. :cool:

tex
06-15-2012, 07:16 PM

When we go to the lakehouse I get asked to pull a set of tubers while the other boat surfs. I put older kids on tube first and put their ars's on the whip right by the other boat. Sling them into the rollers and the get mashed! I pull skiers the rest of the weekend! No one wants to tube behind crazy uncle Tex!