No shower, heater, PP
Dual axle trailer
Bimini
Interior/exterior in very good condition
Always garaged...never left in water or on a lift
ACME 541 prop

mikeg205
06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
My appraisal from one pick with out engine picks or interior pics and a water test would be 13K-15K. NADA puts it at $11K average. But yours look nice. New tires? all good with the trailer? Do you have all the maintenance records?

snobinge
06-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I will get more pics so you have a better illustration of the condition. I do all the maintenance myself. Other than showing some wear on the paint, the trailer is in good working condition. Tires are good. I don't think NADA is accurate for the inboard market...especially in the Midwest.

cbryan70
06-14-2012, 11:50 AM
I will get more pics so you have a better illustration of the condition. I do all the maintenance myself. Other than showing some wear on the paint, the trailer is in good working condition. Tires are good. I don't think NADA is accurate for the inboard market...especially in the Midwest.

What are you thinking its worth.

JohnE
06-14-2012, 12:26 PM
$12-13k. Some go for more but usually with sacs, tower, pp, and other options. Maybe up to $15k as it is still buying season. JMO

JohnE
06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
What are you thinking of upgrading to?

itch2ski
06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I can't remember if it was a 97 or 98 that just sold here in Utah for $16k. Was also in nice condition, no Perfect Pass, but it had a tower and possibly a heater/shower. Sold in like two days.

Panda Cub
06-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Ask high, people will lowball you. A 98 ps 205 should be worth 16+. Ask $17,500, see what kind of offers come in.

mikeg205
06-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Tower and PP add $$ really quick. I bought a 95 for $10K no PP no tower.

This one has been for sale for some time...supposedly under deposit in AL.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-Mastercraft-Prostar-205-101397417

mikeg205
06-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Ask high, people will lowball you. A 98 ps 205 should be worth 16+. Ask $17,500, see what kind of offers come in.

Absolutely ask high so you can negotiate from a position you want to!

JohnE
06-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Unless it is in absolutely immaculate showroom condition I disagree. That is a little high. With no tower you are looking at someone only interested in slalom. And at that there is no perfect pass. So a serious skier or boarder is going to need to spend a grand on speed control and another 2-3 grand on a good looking tower. (Anyone paying top dollar on a 205 isn't going to stick a lesser tower on it IMO) No heater or shower which cost a few hundred each. How is the interior?

I personally have considered moving 'down' from my X14 with a payment to a 205 that I could pay for in cash. (I have a loan but lots of equity in my 14) The most I'd pay for a pristine 205 without tower or PP is $15K, and that is if it was in a sellers market where I make up for it on my end. By the same token, I'd pay as much as $18K for an immaculate 205 with a ND tower and PP SG, shower, heater, etc.

Of course, a lot depends on what else is in the market at the time.

Again, it is just my opinion, but I assume that is what the op wants. I hope he does find someone to pay top dollar if he sells.

snobinge
06-14-2012, 10:04 PM
JohnE and others thank you for your opinions. That is exactly what I want. I am looking for real world answers to help me make the decision to look for an upgrade or spend the money on a ND tower and PPSG. If I upgrade I am looking for an X7...I think. Our family skis, wakeboards, and barefoots. The X7 seems to be the best fit.

I have seen boats advertised for high asking prices in this market. That doesn't mean they are getting it...I know. :) To tell you the truth, I was thinking I would get 18k. The feedback is humbling, but I guess it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Please keep the feedback coming....on value and what you think would be a good upgrade if I decide to go that route.

Here are a couple more pics...

snobinge
06-14-2012, 10:05 PM
one more...

JohnE
06-14-2012, 10:41 PM
FWIW, I had an '05 197 with a tower. The 205 is a more versatile boat IMO than the X7. Better for boarding and surfing, and probably close ski wake. And as much or more room. X7 will track better through the course.

I went from the 197 to the 214 because the room was soooo much more than in the 197/X7 and I was taking a number of people out.

Good luck with the decision

HoustonDunlap
06-15-2012, 12:39 AM
I purchased a very clean 1998 205 approximately 20 months ago with a little over 600 hours for $10,000 (no tower).

I sold it last July for $14,000. Sold it in less than 24 hours and had multiple back up offers. It was a clean boat. The old ad with pictures is probably still on the site somewhere. I felt I could have gotten more, but I wanted to be reasonable and to move it quick.

mikeg205
06-15-2012, 12:54 AM
FWIW - this should make you feel better - http://boats.actionwater.com/Page.aspx/diid/7183349/list/InventoryList/pageId/130950/view/Details/1998-MasterCraft-ProStar-205.aspx

jamisonsbrodie
06-15-2012, 11:27 AM
FWIW - this should make you feel better - http://boats.actionwater.com/Page.aspx/diid/7183349/list/InventoryList/pageId/130950/view/Details/1998-MasterCraft-ProStar-205.aspx

Corvette motor and at a Dealer. Big difference in price than a private party.

mikeg205
06-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Corvette motor and at a Dealer. Big difference in price than a private party.

Yes, but it's nice to see the price up there... :)

ttu
06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
one more...

not going to comment on the price but that's a great looking 205!

bkblaida
06-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Before locking down your price do a little research in your market....say 250 mile radius of your home. Several years ago when we bought our 97 205 there were 8 - 10 205's within 250 miles and all were in poor condition. We would have gladly paid $2-3K premium for a super clean boat. Instead we ended up finding a great boat in West Virginia (we live in Chicago). Still paid a premium because of the condition plus the expense of driving to and from WV.....but the boat was showroom perfect. Have never regretted paying a little more. FYI - the boat did not have PP or tower or heater....but these are items easily added over time, and are a lot more affordable when you are not pouring money into engine repair, fixing gel coat or replacing upolstery. Never be shy to ask a premium for a quality product.

snobinge
06-15-2012, 01:41 PM
bkblaida....We had a similar situation as you. I am your neighbor north of the border in the Milwaukee area. We also struggled to find a clean boat for a fair price in the Midwest when we were looking 8ish years ago. We traveled to Colorado for this one and are very happy we did as well. It has been rock solid!

Thrall
06-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Keep it!
Throw a tower and PP on it and roll!

snobinge
06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48475

Not the same boat, but gives a perspective of pricing in WI.

jamisonsbrodie
06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48475

Not the same boat, but gives a perspective of pricing in WI.

Guy is dreaming if he thinks he will get anywhere near that, IMO. 15-16k tops. That is not exactly a highly sought after hull.

You are correct about a bit of premium in the midwest vs way down south, but not that much.

Schrade
08-17-2012, 01:26 PM
For a reference point. One hour east of St Paul MN. I just picked up a 94 PS 205 with the LT1 850 hours, no tower, no PP, no shower but does have heater. Interior only has one seam tore out and was a little dirty. Needed fuel filters, and new thermostats. Overall Condition is an 8 out of 10.

TxsRiverRat
08-17-2012, 01:46 PM
I have a 93 - and I bought it in 1998 (5 years old) with 113 hours for 18k with tt&l.

that being said, if you're a 3 event skier, the 93 is a better boat.

My GF has a 98, and it does not ski as nice, it is better for wakeboarding. I also can not stand the one piece observers seat.

BrianM
08-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Nice boat. But I agree with others. Without the extras no way its and $18k boat. $15k maybe.

snobinge
08-17-2012, 03:25 PM
We decided to keep the 205 and save our pennies for the luxury priced ND tower!

jamisonsbrodie
08-17-2012, 03:42 PM
For a reference point. One hour east of St Paul MN. I just picked up a 94 PS 205 with the LT1 850 hours, no tower, no PP, no shower but does have heater for $12, 800. Interior only has one seam tore out and was a little dirty. Needed fuel filters, and new thermostats. Overall Condition is an 8 out of 10.

Nice find!! How did you find it? It is a good thing that i didn't see it, otherwise it would be mine. :)

bkblaida
08-17-2012, 04:51 PM
It is disheartening (not sure of a better word at this time) that we all talk about he superior build of our MasterCrafts, the ability to hold value better than the competition, best skiing boat, etc. etc.... yet as soon as someone asks what they could expect to sell their MasterCraft for, (with the exception of a few members) this forum turns into a mob of bottom feeders. "I would only pay this" or "without a heater it is only worth that"
In the end a person may only be able to sell their boat for $ X dollars due to a myriad of market factors but for the good of the brand we are all invested in, we should always ask top dollar. Given the escalated prices of new ski boats (all brands) our used boat values should be increasing not decreasing

The day MasterCraft owners are afraid to ask a premium for their used boats is the day the brand starts to die.

snobinge
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Well said! Unless I was in the market to buy a used boat! ;)

TxsRiverRat
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
The day MasterCraft owners are afraid to ask a premium for their used boats is the day the brand starts to die.

Come buy my 93 PS205 man, I got it on special this week - only $45,000 until this Sunday only.

BrianM
08-17-2012, 05:16 PM
It is disheartening (not sure of a better word at this time) that we all talk about he superior build of our MasterCrafts, the ability to hold value better than the competition, best skiing boat, etc. etc.... yet as soon as someone asks what they could expect to sell their MasterCraft for, (with the exception of a few members) this forum turns into a mob of bottom feeders. "I would only pay this" or "without a heater it is only worth that"
In the end a person may only be able to sell their boat for $ X dollars due to a myriad of market factors but for the good of the brand we are all invested in, we should always ask top dollar. Given the escalated prices of new ski boats (all brands) our used boat values should be increasing not decreasing

He asked what the boat is worth. I think this thread gave him a pretty good indication of that. The consensus was mid teens given the condition and options. A few through out some examples of lower priced boats. I think we all gave the OP a pretty realistic indication of the market.

As for MC having better ability to hold value than some of the competition they do. Price a similar '98 Bu Sunsetter.

Spence
08-17-2012, 07:22 PM
If that boat was in the greater ATL market I guarantee you could get 16k+ for it near beginning of season. Got my 94 205 w 500 hrs w/o tower or trailer for $11000 and there were apparently 2 backup offers. 90's 205s in good condition spend no time on the market on Craigslist in most areas so you'd assume sellers are getting close to their asking prices. Ask high if u ever sell.

hewlett6621
08-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Send it down under. You will get 30 to 35.000 dollars for it.

Stritt
08-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Alot of opinions from many not seriously looking to buy..... 10 months ago we were looking for a 205, we ended up buying at the high end of value and no where close to nada value......why? The boat was in excellent shape. 17 to 18k is very doable withe the tandem. Can you buy a 205 @ nada value....yes. start adding up vinyl, canvas, minor engine repair.....it all adds up and those low ball buyers will be back at the value you are asking.

Those that are spewing nada would more than likely never consider selling their MasterCraft for that price. Nada is for the banks and low ballers at this age range in a boat.

Schrade
08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Nice find!! How did you find it? It is a good thing that i didn't see it, otherwise it would be mine. :)

I found it by posting a wanted ad on CL. It was on a lake about 40 minutes from me.

TayMC197
08-22-2012, 09:47 AM
We decided to keep the 205 and save our pennies for the luxury priced ND tower!

Just to give you a heads up and I hate to do this. I love the ND towers and equipment. I have the ND mini on my current 197 and had one on my 92 190. The best option I could of put on these boats. Here is the kicker, ND has poor service. I ordered my tower in January of 2009 and didn't receive it until end of June that year. Paid cash up front. Second purchase was for my 197. It already had the tower but no options. So I ordered the bimini, ski rack, and lighting assembly. That was July of 2011. I received all of this in May of 2012. The material and quality is excellent. The service as I said sucks. My order was lost twice, said they had no record of it but my credit card did. Then when I got my bimini in, it didn't have the travel cover for it and had a razer knife cut right down the middle of it. The owner did call me up and square up with me. Apparently he fired the problem. Just wanted you to have a heads up when buying from them.

TayMC197
08-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Well put, the used MC's are high demand at this time. The nice ones are even higher demand. Ask what the boat is worth, not what you think you can get. People buy these for the brand or the fact they can't buy a new one. So asking a little more won't shy them away... it beats the alternative.

coz
08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Just to give you a heads up and I hate to do this. I love the ND towers and equipment. I have the ND mini on my current 197 and had one on my 92 190. The best option I could of put on these boats. Here is the kicker, ND has poor service. I ordered my tower in January of 2009 and didn't receive it until end of June that year. Paid cash up front. Second purchase was for my 197. It already had the tower but no options. So I ordered the bimini, ski rack, and lighting assembly. That was July of 2011. I received all of this in May of 2012. The material and quality is excellent. The service as I said sucks. My order was lost twice, said they had no record of it but my credit card did. Then when I got my bimini in, it didn't have the travel cover for it and had a razer knife cut right down the middle of it. The owner did call me up and square up with me. Apparently he fired the problem. Just wanted you to have a heads up when buying from them.

This boat is the same as mine, color, carpet and upholstery but I have a tower, heater and shower, I have a guy here in Az (Parker) that's hounding me to sell and he's willing to pay 18k cash. I paid 17k 6 years ago so I think it really has to do with how bad someone wants it. It's tempting but if someone came in at 19k I'd probably let her go, no less though :D

petermegan
08-22-2012, 07:02 PM

Hmm, reluctantly have to agree here, I am dealing with them at the moment and I have to ring Wayne from OZ to remind him weekly and still not getting any action. Service is their big pitfall.