PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials for Newbs

Hogwild
06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm going to be changing all my fluids this weekend in my 99 Maristar and wondered if you guys knew of any tutorials that will help me along the way.

I'm also looking for help in changing a serpentine belt. Thanks in advance.

Hogwild
06-14-2012, 11:00 PM
77 views and no responses...Asked too many times or just nothing good out there? Throw another owner a bone here :-)

Philscbx
06-15-2012, 12:09 AM
I had to do the same not long ago - on first time servicing mine, coming out of winter storage. Start of second season.

So warming up the engine is the first process on the trailer that I had to deal with -
Take a look - http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/album.php?u=36228

Changing the Oil Filter is going to be a challenge - in the end, take the hood struts off at the floor -
a flex handled oil filter band wrench is a must have.
Not making a mess is the next challenge.

I used a vacuum tank like a wet vac to drain the oil out of the engine drain hose -
then used it to drain the tray the filter sat in before moving it, or spilled a drop.
Gravity draining oil is like watching paint dry - the vacuum tank does it in under a minute.
This setup eliminates dropping the engine drain hose out through the hull drain.

Also while engine is still hot - new oil is added to help remove all the old oil.
You may have to do the oil change by gravity this time.
There's also a oil filter re-locatiopn kit at Summit Racing - I thought I learned all the bad language 40 yrs ago -
I re-discovered some doing this filter.

I can grab images of vacuum tank setup if needed - used in other missions from brake fluid - to coolant.
Same tank for 30 years. A vacuum pump & air-compressor are needed to fully use this tool.

Belts are pretty straight forward. See 1/2" square hole in one of the idlers -
Insert 18" breaker bar, is all it takes to remove tension - then slip belt off.
Take photo before - so routing isn't a guessing game.
Take photo's of it all day - so you have your own manual to look over at anytime.

Water source is a little weak on the well - is the main reason I made my set up for a 35 gallon Fake a Lake.
The best part - it shows just how well the pump is working vs a garden hose only.
Most of the ideas within here are real handy.
Manual for yours should be listed to download.

Here's a Site Search for Fake a Lake - by others - http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=4608659

Philscbx
06-15-2012, 01:59 AM
And then again - maybe a Maristar is totally different than a 209.