PDA

View Full Version : Removing Binding and Mounting New One

charrison327
06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Okay experts....I'm looking for some help. I'm a weekend worrier when it comes to skiing. I have an old Obrien World Team that I've been using for years. It has an old style 890 binding on it and I'm trying to figure out how to take it off. It's finally torn over the years and I want to replace it with another. I don't mind tearing it up trying to figure out how to remove it, I just don't want to damage the ski, it's in pretty good shape.

Now, when I get it off, I know I'm never going to find one that mounts in the same holes....so what is the process of drilling and mounting the new binding? This is the part I don't want to screw up.

If no one knows, I will take a picture tomorrow of the binding if that helps.

madcityskier
06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Is that a plate binding? If so you should be able to pull the screws and lift it right off. If you have to redrill for a new binding be sure you don't go too deep or to large of a diameter, and be sure to fill the old holes (I use silicone as close to the color of the ski as possible). Don't worry about where the plate falls as much as getting your foot in the same location. If you can't get the same hole pattern and don't want to redrill try Wiley. They may have a plate to line up to older holes, saves a lot of headaches. In my mind this is a great excuse to update your ski. You might be amazed what's out there. If you talk to a local pro shop, ask about demoing a new ski. Bindings are expensive enough it might be a logical step.

charrison327
06-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and help.....I finally found the hidden screw this afternoon. It was up under the padding where you couldn't see it. It is an old school adjustable binding so it mounted on a center track. The track and heel cup mounted separately. I probably am going to update to a newer ski also, but I want to still be able to use this one too, it's the only slalom I have, so i figure I will drop a little in it just to keep it alive.