PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft Trailer Braking

Nick911
06-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Have a 2012 X25 with what I assume to be an electronic braking trailer. I don't have a brake controller in my tow vehicle (GMC Yukon). Will my trailer brakes still activate? Do I need a brake controller installed? Is there a surge system on the trailer?

Huskie05
06-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Have a 2012 X25 with what I assume to be an electronic braking trailer. I don't have a brake controller in my tow vehicle (GMC Yukon). Will my trailer brakes still activate? Do I need a brake controller installed? Is there a surge system on the trailer?

Is it a MC Trailer? Most likely NOT electric. You have a surge system, which I don't like, electric is the way to go, wish MC would change.

BrianT
06-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Have a look at your tongue, should have the brake fluid filler cap on the folding portion. If so than they are surge. You wont need a brake controller.

AFX-30
06-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I had used eletric until I got my mastercraft and will never go back. I love the simplicity of the surge system. I will say that rebuilding one after years of salt water use is a pita but it works great now.

Nick911
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
There is a hydraulic filler cap, however, when I purchased the boat, I was unable to back it up, either up or down a hill. It was discovered that the back up wiring for on my Yukon did not work, that is, no backup lights on trailer. I assumed because of this it was electronic. It is an MC trailer.

pram
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
do you have a 5 or a 7 way plug on the trailer?

the no backing up is probably due to the reverse lock out solenoid not being hooked up to the back up lights

you can always get a lock out key to allow yourself to back up

Thrall
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
There's a reverse - lock out solenoid on the trailer that is powered by one of the trailer wire pins going to your back up lights on the tow vehicle. When reverse lights are on, it keeps the trailer brakes from activating. Should still be able to back down hill though even with out the lockout.
Or do it the old school way and put a pin or screwdriver through the hole in the hitch, to keep the brake cylinder from compressing when backing up.

carlsonwa
06-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Another trick I used the other day, misplaced the 7 to 5 adapter, so had a 7 to 4 laying around. If you spin the trailer plug upside down in the adapter and turn your parking lights on. Will power up the reverse solenoid.