PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pump doesn't start...

Fab
06-13-2012, 10:49 AM
So, another issue about the ballast pumps :

I went to my '08 X2 today to make some cleaning and noticed the Port en STB pump would not start, KGB works perfect (engine OFF)...

When I hit the switch either in Fill or Drain, I can hear the relay clinking but pump doesn't start AND the LED on the switches is blinking 2 times

I found that these 2 blinks would indicate a clogged/blocked pump or high draw...

I didn't have the ignition key so I couldn't test with engine idling at 1500rpm, Could it be a problem of low battery as my boat is sitting on the water and it rains a lot here so the bilge pumps work a lot I believe which could drain my batteries...

G-Star
06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Could be a seized impeller. They can stick pretty solid after not being used for a while.

Pull the cover off the pump head and take a look at the impeller. Throw some glycerin or soap in there as a lubricant, spin it by hand a bit, and see if that helps. If not, try pulling the impeller and running the pump briefly without an impeller installed.

GoneBoatN
06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
I had the same issue where one of my pumps would not run when I was testing with the engine off. I put the battery on a charger, tried again a couple hours later and the pump ran just fine. I suspect this is why it says to run the boat at 1500 rpms when filling the ballast.

Dan_Lorenze
06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I had the same problem, was a tripped circuit breaker on mine.

Fab
06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
didn't check the impeller as it was working perfect yesterday !! Fuses look OK, The weather is so ****ty I can't test with engine running...

Thx for your inputs !

Georgeohh
06-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Same thing happened on my 09 x2 last week. Revved it up to 1100Rpms, pump worked just fine.

Fab
06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Those timers are really a PITA, It seems there is a code for low voltage (4 blinks if i'm right), but It looks my batteries may have good voltage but low amp...

bjw444
06-13-2012, 05:17 PM
The pumps have a Bearing in the back case which the whole motor spins on, it's possible that is stuck and just needs broke loose and cleaned up, my friends 2010 x55 had 2 out of the 3 motors do that from sitting, just take the pump off take the 2 bolts that hold the back on and pull the cover off,

mseller
06-14-2012, 01:48 PM
i had all 3 of my pumps giving me the 2 blinks. I decided to throw out the timers and do the relay project. all 3 pumps work flawless now.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22234&page=7

Dan_Lorenze
06-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Fab, try unplugging the connector that goes to the KGB pump and plug it into the port pump, just to see if the pump works and it's not something else like a short somewhere.

iPhone Tapatalk

surfacetension
06-16-2012, 10:43 AM
All 3 of my pumps stopped at once they all worked one day and not the next. it's an 07 X 2 any thoughts?

Fab
06-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey,

Thx for all your tips, I finally got the answer today : the two batteries were down because of the bilge pumps I believe as it rained a lot (my boat sits on the water in a dock) and the stock cover isn't that good, I could even start the boat...

With two new batteries everything was fine and pumps work OK, don't know why the KGB was working but not the PTD and STB...

sand2snow22
06-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Do you have the green impellers?

Fab
06-17-2012, 11:01 AM
No I don't have those green impellers...In fact As i live in france the shipping are VERY expensive even for those little pieces...I'ill buy some when i will have something bigger to buy with...

I saw the green impellers can increase filling speed ?

palm418
06-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all of the tips Teamtalkers! I had the same problems with my 09 X-2 stbd pump. I followed the suggestions and now it works great. Thanks again.

sand2snow22
06-17-2012, 06:11 PM
No I don't have those green impellers...In fact As i live in france the shipping are VERY expensive even for those little pieces...I'ill buy some when i will have something bigger to buy with...

I saw the green impellers can increase filling speed ?

And they don't fail like the black and yellow ones do. Black ones work well, but are too stiff and prone to losing fins. Yellow ones are too soft and eventually stop working. Green one seem to be the cats meow....

bouchro
06-18-2012, 05:40 PM
The good side with all of those ballasts/pumps/timers issues is that after a year of playing with those components I feel like a pro :-)