PDA

View Full Version : Dash Light Replacements?

jakethebt
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I have a few dash lights that need replacing. The owners manual says for the speedo that it is a 14.4 v, 1.7 watt Min Bay base. The other instruments is a 12v, 2 watt BA7 base. I took these to the local auto parts store and they had no clue. I am looking for a source. I will head to NAPA tomorrow. Anyone know a cross reference part number? They dont look even close to any auto bulbs that I could find.

charrison327
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Not sure which gauges you have, but my bulbs are GE 161 - all my gauges take the same. I have a 96 PS. I just replaced them all a few weeks ago. Hope this helps....

jakethebt
06-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the help.

As stated above... Same bulb, different candle power. The 161 are 1 candle power and the 194 are 2 candle power. I called Teleflex and talked to their customer support. They said either will work, but it appears that the 1 candle power is factory. I also noticed that the specs on the new bulb package list a different wattage when compared to the MC owners manual and the new package makes no reverence the base type.

So recapping... for my 1996 prostar dash lights...

standard instruments = type 161 light bulb

Airguide Speedometer = type 74 light bulb

charrison327
06-16-2012, 05:52 AM
good to know of the ariguides.......haven't replaced those yet, but was planning on pulling them soon. now I can go ahead and buy the bulbs and have them ready to go, pop them in and out and be done.