PDA

View Full Version : Waterski Boom Question?

tockit
06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Ok, I just received a Barefoot International Ski Boom that I bought off Craigslist.

The seller didn't know anything about it, except that it came with his Ski Centurian when he bought it.
It has no manual, etc.

I have a picture of it attached to this post, and I can't figure out what the aluminum block is with the 8 bolts in it?

The boom attaches to the ski pylon with the black mount bracket that attached to the base of the boom, it also has and extension, and the cables that attach to the bow eye, but what the heck is this aluminum block used for?

The extension appears to snap into the end of the boom, so I can't figure out what this other block is for, unless it does something with the cables, and if it does, can anyone tell me how to set that up?

Thanks!

hondaprlud
06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
On my old boat I had one of these. I think that part is used to adjust the length of the cables. You install the boom and run the cables to the front and clip to the bow. IIRC you use that piece to size it for your boat and keep the rest of the cables neat and out of the water. It's a 1x adjustment.

But I could be completely off. It was years ago.

lanier92prostar
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
It looks like the block they used for a wakeboard pylon. At one time there was a brand that attached to the pylon for the older boats that had a ring on the pylon. Again, I may be way off.

lanier92prostar
06-12-2012, 11:02 PM
On my old boat I had one of these. I think that part is used to adjust the length of the cables. You install the boom and run the cables to the front and clip to the bow. IIRC you use that piece to size it for your boat and keep the rest of the cables neat and out of the water. It's a 1x adjustment.

But I could be completely off. It was years ago.

mine is a really small aluminum block for the cables.

Ski-me
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Maybe it's to hold your flag?!? :D

I really don't know what the silver block is used for.

The black ones are the standard ones. One of the black ones bolts to the pylon, the one coming out is a height adjuster "option" piece. It is used to adjuste the height of the pole where the skier is. It looks to be handy but I don't have that option on mine.

The silver block....just don't know.:(

tockit
06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Maybe it's to hold your flag?!? :D

I really don't know what the silver block is used for.

The black ones are the standard ones. One of the black ones bolts to the pylon, the one coming out is a height adjuster "option" piece. It is used to adjuste the height of the pole where the skier is. It looks to be handy but I don't have that option on mine.

The silver block....just don't know.:(
Yeah, the ski boom mount is pictured with the height adjuster. They're both painted black.

I understand how all that goes together, but that aluminum block has me a little puzzled.

I don't think it's for shorten or lengthen the cables because they have turnbuckles in them for that.

Someone mentioned it may be for cable positioning from the boom to the bow eye, which makes sense because there are 2 holes inside the aluminum block that both taper out at the edges.

I'm thinking the tapered holes keep that block from fraying into those cables.

Can anyone tell me where that block normally mounts on boom cables and how the cables are normally positioned?

mzimme
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Maybe the guy gave you something that's not related to the boom? Maybe just something else he found in the boat and didn't know what it was, so passed it on to you figuring it went with the boom. Are there any B.I. markings on it anywhere?

Ski-me
06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Is it tapered or sized for the pylon or just standard, round holes (maybe smaller diameter)??

ahhudgins
06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Maybe the guy gave you something that's not related to the boom? Maybe just something else he found in the boat and didn't know what it was, so passed it on to you figuring it went with the boom. Are there any B.I. markings on it anywhere?

Sounds reasonable to me. I've owned a straight boom and I now own a contoured boom for my V-drive and I've never seen a block like that. My contoured boom does have a cable adjuster block but it's half that size. Looks like every thing needed for a boom is black. But to cover my @ss...."I could be wrong"

Dylan
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
As a BI boom owner, that silver block is not for the boom.

On another note, you should have received a push button "T" handle which quick releases the boom, and adjusts the height on the fly. Really convenient over having to bust out the ratchet to remove it.

pram
06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Is there a chance that the extra block is the same diameter as the boom on the hold on end for one of the holes?

lettmeknow
06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
That is not part of the boom . My guess is that it was used to store/carry the boom when apart.

tockit
06-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Is it tapered or sized for the pylon or just standard, round holes (maybe smaller diameter)??
Actually, I was wrong. It's not tapered, but similar to the pylon bracket, similar to what Pram said.

Now I'm totally confused though! Evidently I'm missing the cable block.
Is the cable block a must have?

I'm not using the boom to barefoot with. I plan on using it to teach my 9 & 12 year old sons to ski. It has the pad that goes hooks up at the bow eye on the cables.

tockit
06-13-2012, 08:25 PM
That is not part of the boom . My guess is that it was used to store/carry the boom when apart.
Now, that makes sense!

mayo93prostar
06-13-2012, 09:32 PM
please provide a closeup pic of the aluminum block showing the holes in it. this may help identify it. as long as you got the complete boom, you are good to go, but curiosity gets us all.

tockit
06-13-2012, 10:01 PM
please provide a closeup pic of the aluminum block showing the holes in it. this may help identify it. as long as you got the complete boom, you are good to go, but curiosity gets us all.
I will, but it will probably be tomorrow.
My Internet is down and for some reason it won't let me upload from my iPhone?

Thanks!

tockit
06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Here's a better picture of the aluminum block beside the normal boom attach bracket.

How close to the bow do you put the the cable block you guys were talking about, and is that something you must have to use the boom?

Thanks!

brandon1515
06-14-2012, 11:24 AM
For what it's worth, I have the same boom setup as you. The only differences I see is that I don't have a turnbuckle for adjusting the cable length. There is an aluminum block the cables run through, make a loop and back through the block. The cables are secured by set screws. I don't know off the top of my head but the manual specifies a maximum loop size.

I also bought the boom to teach the kids to ski (I'm sure I will barefoot with it sometime soon :) ). My 8 year old daughter tried skiing for the first time last weekend. She popped out of the water both times she tried, never fell and had a huge smile on her face when she was done. Worth the investment!

tockit
06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
For what it's worth, I have the same boom setup as you. The only differences I see is that I don't have a turnbuckle for adjusting the cable length. There is an aluminum block the cables run through, make a loop and back through the block. The cables are secured by set screws. I don't know off the top of my head but the manual specifies a maximum loop size.

I also bought the boom to teach the kids to ski (I'm sure I will barefoot with it sometime soon :) ). My 8 year old daughter tried skiing for the first time last weekend. She popped out of the water both times she tried, never fell and had a huge smile on her face when she was done. Worth the investment!
I remember reading in the manual I downloaded online about looping the cable ends to removed the slack.

This boom looks like the cable are already looped and permanently swagged. I guess that's why it has turnbuckle adjustments?

Not sure if this was original or someone's after thought?

The way it sounds, as long as you get the slack out of those cables, so they don't whip against the boat, without getting them overly tight, you're good.
Does that sound correct?

I also read in the manual to tie a rope to the back of the boat from the boom to prevent from whipping back and forth if you fall, etc.

Do you guys with booms normally do this?

gotta_ski
06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
It looks like the block they used for a wakeboard pylon. At one time there was a brand that attached to the pylon for the older boats that had a ring on the pylon. Again, I may be way off.

This has to be it. A block from an old school extended pylon that didn't slip over. It's definitely not for the cable adjustment. It may even be homemade.

tockit
06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

ahhudgins
06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I remember reading in the manual I downloaded online about looping the cable ends to removed the slack.

This boom looks like the cable are already looped and permanently swagged. I guess that's why it has turnbuckle adjustments?

Not sure if this was original or someone's after thought?

The way it sounds, as long as you get the slack out of those cables, so they don't whip against the boat, without getting them overly tight, you're good.
Does that sound correct?

I also read in the manual to tie a rope to the back of the boat from the boom to prevent from whipping back and forth if you fall, etc.

Do you guys with booms normally do this?

My Maristar has pop up cleats and I do tie a rope from the boom to the rear cleat. My boom has the rubber "gunnel saver" but I also wrap a small towel around the boom as well for a little extra cushion. I've never had a problem with the boom bouncing or snapping back when teaching kids to ski on combos. Full size adults are a different story!:D