PDA

View Full Version : How heavy is my '96 225 vrs

carisch
06-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I've just moved my maristar to a great boat house with a lift. Only problem is that the lift motor states 2800 capacity. I've search the internet and only come back that a '97 225 vrs weights in at 3000 pounds. I'd assume that my 96 is in the same range. How big of a deal is it that I'm over that weight?

How much does mine actually weight? (I've added a ND tower, but that's about it for extra weight)
If I'm over the weight limit by just 200-300 pounds, should I worry?
How hard is it to change out these overhead cable mount motors to one that has a higher weight capacity?

Thanks for any guidance.

ricford
06-12-2012, 09:02 PM
You're right it's 3000 pounds, dry weight plus whatever gas is in it, plus any gear, etc. It's your boat, do you trust it to something that is probably 500 pounds under sized? I wouldn't. If you're changing out the motor have a real good look at the condition of all the pulleys, and cables as well. There's a good chance they're under sized as well.

Flatwaterfooter
06-12-2012, 09:09 PM
If you change cables and pulleys does that increase the capacity or is the lift structures still undersized?

carisch
06-13-2012, 03:48 PM
The pulleys and cables all look great, everything is in great condition, but I don't know how to figure out the load all of these parts can sustain. I'm not interested in cutting corners, but I don't want to buy a motor, and possibly a whole new rig if it isn't really needed.

I agree with the statement that I don't want to chance it. I think I'll have a dock expert out to give me a quote. I've heard a good supply source for the motors is tractor supply stores.?.?

carisch
06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Just a quick follow up, maybe it will help someone else on here. The reason that I posted the original question was due to the fact that the motor was "binding" up on me the first time I put the boat on it. The motor would make noise, but nothing was moving, up or down. This is when I first read the label that stated 2800 lbs weight limit. Ah OH. Boat is now stuck on the boat lift, it isn't sitting all that level, and I'm not sure how long it will take to get it down.

Long story short, since there is a pulley system with pulleys both at the top and the bottom of the system, there is a mechanical advantage of 2-1. The limit of the motor is actually doubled to 5600 lbs.

Lessons learned:
-limit posted was actually not any where near correct for my lift.
-if a lift binds up on you, get a broom or stick, and push on the fly wheel right when you turn it on, and get it moving again. Do this to go down, which will be less stress on the system.
-grease it up yearly, and check the belts. Mine was inside out, and pretty nasty.