PDA

View Full Version : Boat giving me trouble

zpacheco
06-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Recently, when I have been out on the water the boat will run fine all day and start without any problem usually the first turn of the key, however, it seems like most days there is one time after a ski run or a break to swim in the lake we get back in and the boat just does not want to start! The engine cranks but will just not fire up, generally, I can sit there for about 10 or 15 minutes and try and start it and eventually it will fire up. So, I discovered the PO had a deep cycle battery in the boat used for cranking, I switched batteries to a new blue top optima cranking battery and the problem seemed to dissipate. But last weekend it did it again after running all day just fine and starting fine all day we decided to take a 15 minute swim break, we got back in the boat and it wouldn't fire up. After trying for about 5 minutes and turning the key about 10 times it finally fired up. Is this a cause for concern? and what in the world could it be? Just don't want to run into future problems.

In addition the spark plugs were all replaced at the end of last season.

Lumbergh
06-12-2012, 12:53 PM
What model boat and year?

When is the last time you tuned the ignition system? Cap / Rotor, points or EI?

Checked fuel filters? Cleaned spark arrestor?

This is a frequent topic, but a little more info is needed.

zpacheco
06-12-2012, 01:56 PM
It is a '94 maristar 200 with a 350 indmar with an EI. The cap and rotor was replaced last season. I didn't know if it could be the fuel filter because this is just a random problem and does not happen every time, not even most of the time. Although I have owned it for 2 years now and it is probably time for a new filter anyways.

99xstar
06-12-2012, 11:56 PM
My neighbor has another brand boat with a similar issue. He switched to No Ethanol gas and hasn't had the problem since. Concluded it is was some sort of vapor lock.

east tx skier
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
You may be getting intermittent contact with your kill switch. Try bypassing it.

mikeg205
06-13-2012, 10:34 AM
What's the temp read on engine temp after the stop....might have a bad Engine Temp Coolant sensor or its running a 160 T-stat and the ECM is not liking the temp after running and stopping for period of time.

Read this thread ...does it sound like this issue??

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47515

blasterman88
06-13-2012, 05:35 PM
I just had a VERY similar problem. I switched to a Pertronix ignition and got rid of the points. Night and day difference.

Matt L.
06-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Sounds like you are heat soaking. If you have a carb the fuel in the carb bowls will boil causing all kinds of hard starting. Does it blow black smoke after starting? That's a big sing of it.

Later,

Matt

zpacheco
06-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I have not noticed smoke coming from the exhaust. Although it does make sense to me after reading that one thread about the heat soaking and that being the problem. Because usually just after waiting a little while longer it will start. Had the boat out yesterday and didn't even have the problem at all. So, It makes it that much harder for me to know what it is. Hopefully it will just stay away. Whats the best solution to solving the heat soak issue?

treptowr
07-04-2012, 06:18 PM
How's the boat been running? I seem to have a similar problem I'm trouble shooting. Next time it won't start, try putting it in neutral and crack the throttle open a bit. Mine starts every time when I do that. But like you, it is very infrequent, making it hard to trouble shoot Runs and idles great once it is started.

TLR67
07-30-2012, 11:54 AM
I just had this happen on my 1990 190 3 Days ago.... I was luckily able to pull it in the cove back to the dock.... I knew it was the safety switch... I connected the 2 wires together to by pass it and no more issues.... fired right up...... Now my question to everyone here is can I just leave it that way? I checked the wires and they were not hot while running and we made a few runs like that... I hate to get a new switch only to have this happen again 20 years later...LOL/...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I just had this happen on my 1990 190 3 Days ago.... I was luckily able to pull it in the cove back to the dock.... I knew it was the safety switch... I connected the 2 wires together to by pass it and no more issues.... fired right up...... Now my question to everyone here is can I just leave it that way? I checked the wires and they were not hot while running and we made a few runs like that... I hate to get a new switch only to have this happen again 20 years later...LOL/...

You will find a lot of guys here that have taken the switch out. If you do, make a more permanent wire connection so you don't have corrosion cause this same problem next year. Solder and heat-shrink tubing or a weatherproof connector.

TLR67
07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
You will find a lot of guys here that have taken the switch out. If you do, make a more permanent wire connection so you don't have corrosion cause this same problem next year. Solder and heat-shrink tubing or a weatherproof connector.

Cool... Thanks for the quick response......

tideengineer
07-30-2012, 01:53 PM
man you are in the deep south, like me, with terrible heat...I would vent your motor box (prop open with a paddle or ski) while swimming or sitting around...mine has vapor locked due to the heat in the motor box sitting in the sun for 15-20 minutes...if we go for a quick swim I'll even run the blower and prop the bottom of the box open with a paddle.