PDA

View Full Version : '87 Prostar Gauges not working

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Well I was going to run my boat in the driveway on the fake-a-lake, turned the key and my oil and temp gauge pegged out, no other gauges working at all including tach. Boat started no change in any of the gauges while running. Any ideas, I was thinking a ground problem behind the dash but just wanted to get some input before I started trying to track this down.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a good place to start. Any other accessories not working?

tph
06-12-2012, 11:39 AM
The gauges on my '89 have problems too. As an example; the Temp gauge will register 20 degrees higher with the blower on. I've always thought it was a ground issue as well. The wiring harness behind the dash is a rats nest of wires with stacked daisy chain connection clips. I will be watching this thread.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
FWIW, I just worked through my tach and oil pressure gauges not working properly. The tach was fixed by finding a little corrosion at the main wiring harness connector at the back of the engine. The oil pressure gauge was a faulty connection where the sending unit wire attaches to the back of the gauge.

This sounds like a common ground to all.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
The gauges on my '89 have problems too. As an example; the Temp gauge will register 20 degrees higher with the blower on. I've always thought it was a ground issue as well. The wiring harness behind the dash is a rats nest of wires with stacked daisy chain connection clips. I will be watching this thread.

My oil pressure gauge has done this intermittently in the past when the blower is running too. Yeah I know about the rats nests and am not looking forward to it.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Update: ran down the problem it was a ground behind the dash, all gauges working now.

Next winter I'm redoing that rats nest.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Chrisoswald
06-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Just curious. What ground was bad?

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-15-2012, 09:38 AM
If you've been back there you know how they are daisy chained to each other. It was the main ground coming into the dash from the right hand side. I actually ran a new ground directly to the battery and looped it in there and everything kicked on.

Like I said this winter it will get done right but its working like a top for this season.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Chrisoswald
06-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks! I have been behind there but only to fix a bulb...will look for that main ground as im pretty certain i have a similar issue. Thanks again and Im happy you got yours squared away...hopefully i will have the same luck!