PDA

View Full Version : Need people who changed damper plate or tranny to chime in

mart_it
06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Worked on replacing damper plate over the weekend. (91 PS190 powerslot 1:52:1)
I've read that some of you prefer to final torque it through the starter hole when tranny is installed but I did it before I put the tranny on.
Everything went on smoothe and the tranny shaft clicked in nicely.
Now, the problem!
Since I didn't take pics when removing thinking I'd remember everything.....which I now know is not the case, I'm left with a tranny bolt which I can't figure out where it goes.
I'm pretty sure every other bolt I put in goes where it does but I'm left with a threaded hole just above where the starter goes and the last bolt I have doesn't seem to go in all the way.
For reference, the hole i'm talking about threads through the other side just above the starter, to the right after the circuit breaker bolts.
I really need to figure this out.

Thx!

mikeg205
06-11-2012, 11:20 PM
PM too_tall he did one not too long ago...

rholmes
06-11-2012, 11:36 PM
I guess you mixed one of them up. IIRC, there were a coupe that were longer when I did mine. It has been a few years back now though....

mart_it
06-12-2012, 07:39 AM
PM too_tall he did one not too long ago...

Not sure he has a 351W!

I really need to get this figured out!...arggghhh

mart_it
06-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Just found this picture which explains which bolt i'm speaking of: (@3 o'clock)

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=46612&stc=1&d=1240786696

Also, the bottom left one, should I have a bolt mounted there?

thx TT

Kyle
06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
You should have

6 same exact bolts that hold on the fly wheel.

6 same exact bolts that hold on damper plate.

Both items above neede to be torque to spec before putting the transmission on.

You should have 8 bell housing bolts.

You have 2 short bolts that go on the top of the transmission. Thread them in finger tight. They use a 5/8" socket.

You have 2 small bolts that bolt through the plate behind the flywheel to the transmission. You have to lay down and thread them in from the port side.

Now you should have 4 bolts left that use a 5/8" scocket and some spacers that support the breaker plastic housing. Look at the bell housing and notice the thickness of the housing and the legnth of the bolts.

You should have 3 length bolts left. 1 long 2 medium 1 shoretst but not as short as the 2 holding the top of the bell housing on.

Iirc the longest goes in the bottom left. And the shortest of the 4 bolts left goes in the middle on the left. The other 2 go with spacers on the right and attach to the plastic circuit breaker.

Hope this helps.

mart_it
06-15-2012, 07:13 AM
You should have

6 same exact bolts that hold on the fly wheel.

6 same exact bolts that hold on damper plate.

Both items above neede to be torque to spec before putting the transmission on.

You should have 8 bell housing bolts.

You have 2 short bolts that go on the top of the transmission. Thread them in finger tight. They use a 5/8" socket.

You have 2 small bolts that bolt through the plate behind the flywheel to the transmission. You have to lay down and thread them in from the port side.

Now you should have 4 bolts left that use a 5/8" scocket and some spacers that support the breaker plastic housing. Look at the bell housing and notice the thickness of the housing and the legnth of the bolts.

You should have 3 length bolts left. 1 long 2 medium 1 shoretst but not as short as the 2 holding the top of the bell housing on.

Iirc the longest goes in the bottom left. And the shortest of the 4 bolts left goes in the middle on the left. The other 2 go with spacers on the right and attach to the plastic circuit breaker.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Kyle, I'll take off my bolts and double check again!

Does it really matter if I haven't greased the input shaft of the tranny before putting it back on?
Also, I drained all the tranny fluid and cooler lines, is there something special to do before re-filling? I've noticed the service manual speaks of purging the hydraulic system, how do I do this?
Thanks TT

Kyle
06-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks a lot Kyle, I'll take off my bolts and double check again!

Does it really matter if I haven't greased the input shaft of the tranny before putting it back on?
Also, I drained all the tranny fluid and cooler lines, is there something special to do before re-filling? I've noticed the service manual speaks of purging the hydraulic system, how do I do this?
Thanks TT

The top 2 bolts are like 1" long and take 5/8" socket leave them attached to keep the tranny from coming loose from the engine.

Don't worry about the input shaft if it's already together. It is fine. I never have greased one going back together.

Fill tranny with 2.5 quarts and turn it on. Check fluid after running for a few minutes. You may need the extra .5 quart. The air will work its way out. There is nothing you have to do accept start the engine.