PDA

View Full Version : 2012 X2 Factory Ballast Question

08M3Sedanski
06-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Where are the breakers (or fuses) located for the factory ballast pumps? If they are not obvious, what do they look like? Thanks.

Latin Flyer
06-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Go to the driver side, on the front seat, open it up, there should be a string to pull the covernlook there.

08M3Sedanski
06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks Latin Flyer. I looked there already. I see nothing that looks like any kind of breaker or fuse assembly that I have ever seen. I have scoured this boat from top to bottom and can't find anything. I also carefully felt all around one of the actual pump/motor assemblies thinking there might be build in breaker but I don't see or feel anything.

Latin Flyer
06-12-2012, 08:08 AM
That,s as far as mechanic i know, sorry. I just assumed it was there, i actually did not even open that cover on mine yet!

Latin Flyer
06-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Changing the subject, i also have a x2 2012, and NO ONE has been able to answer me a few questoiosn on the cruise control and set up. What system do you have! The small one on the dash or the big computer? If you have the small one I would like to talk to you. My number is 954-274-2274, i,m overseas till tuesday.
Let me know please.

08M3Sedanski
06-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Latin Flyer - I have the BIG system. I haven't even tried to use the cruise yet. Also, I would assume that the breakers for the ballast would be right where you said... and maybe they are there. But nothing is recognizable to me... and I'm pretty good around electrical systems as I used to wire RVs in the summer during college and lot's of experiments in engineering school.

bcd
06-12-2012, 11:46 AM
There are no breakers for 2012. they are powered by the Lenco controller now.

bcd
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
My dealer printed out the schematic for me. You could see if your dealer would do the same thing, otherwise, I could try scanning mine for you.

bcd
06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
That,s as far as mechanic i know, sorry. I just assumed it was there, i actually did not even open that cover on mine yet!
Latin flyer, what questions do you have? I don't have the BIG display. I'm not claiming to know much about it, but I can at least get cruise to kick in - usually. It definitely isn't user friendly.

I also just noticed that ski mode doesn't lower the attitude plate, which makes no sense to me.

mim3
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Hello, Just took delivery of a 2012. I did not order the "Big" but did add the Zero Off.

First impression.
-I don't like the full control cruise/ballast. I will manually fill the tanks and use "Skier"
-I don't like not knowing if the ballast tanks are empty. Can we discharge out the sides?

bcd
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Once you fill the tanks, the system will know they are full, so there shouldn't be an issue using the wake full setting. If you have the attitude plate, you will want to use the wake full selection, since it has launch control to lower the attitude plate during start to get you onplane faster.

You could replumb the system to empty out the side, but you will have to add check valves. The plumbing could get tight also. Unless you rewire to power the motors with relays, I don't see what you will gain with emptying out the sides.

mim3
06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I am one of those types who don't like cruise and appreciate a nice manual/semi-automatic gearbox.

As I understand the "system" the pump is set to deliver X revolutions for filling and emptying the tank. I would argue this is not a very accurate means to determine a level in a tank.

The led bar that indicates the level of fill needs to be calibrated or zeroed such that the number of pre-determined revolutions empties and fills the tank.

Mine did not come correctly zeroed. So there is no gauge to accurately display the water level.

If the boat discharged above water it would be a visual indication as to empty.

08M3Sedanski
06-12-2012, 08:16 PM
There are no breakers for 2012. they are powered by the Lenco controller now.

Thank you for this information. My surf tab and trim tabs are functioning which I assume are also controlled by the Lenco controllers... I have two Lenco controllers. Any suggestions on why ballast pumps would not run and tabs would?

bcd
06-12-2012, 10:36 PM
I am one of those types who don't like cruise and appreciate a nice manual/semi-automatic gearbox.

As I understand the "system" the pump is set to deliver X revolutions for filling and emptying the tank. I would argue this is not a very accurate means to determine a level in a tank.

The led bar that indicates the level of fill needs to be calibrated or zeroed such that the number of pre-determined revolutions empties and fills the tank.

Mine did not come correctly zeroed. So there is no gauge to accurately display the water level.

If the boat discharged above water it would be a visual indication as to empty.

Mine didn't come programmed correctly and had a recall to fix it. I don't like the new set up either. I added the piggy back system, and couldn't get them to fill all the way. I first hardwired the ballast motors to relays, but then my cruise wouldn't work correctly. I then added extra relays so that the factory system runs until it says it's full, then I flip my switches to the hardwired relays to fill them the rest of the way. Emptying is the opposite.

Since it empties out the bottom, and I have the piggy back bags, the only way for me to know when they are empty is to listen closely (without the stereo or engine on). You can hear a difference in the pump when the tank empties. It changes pitch and you can hear a little gurgling sound.

bcd
06-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Thank you for this information. My surf tab and trim tabs are functioning which I assume are also controlled by the Lenco controllers... I have two Lenco controllers. Any suggestions on why ballast pumps would not run and tabs would?

Do they not work at all, or do they just not work when you try going to wakefull mode? Do the fill/empty switches work?

I sometimes have issues when I set the cruise to wakefull to fill them or set it to effecient to empty them, and they don't kick on. Cycling the cruise setting once has always fixed that issue for me.

08M3Sedanski
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Do they not work at all, or do they just not work when you try going to wakefull mode? Do the fill/empty switches work?

I sometimes have issues when I set the cruise to wakefull to fill them or set it to effecient to empty them, and they don't kick on. Cycling the cruise setting once has always fixed that issue for me.

My boat is so new and I'm such a newbie that I haven't even tried turning on my cruise yet. The pumps don't turn on at all... with BIG or with physical switches. They were working during the delivery demo with the dealer (of course) but not now. The boat is going back to the dealer this week to resolve this issue. Thanks for your help.

bcd
06-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I just had a longshot thought. If none of the pumps turn on at all, did the model and configuration set up page accidentally get changed to no ballast installed? I don't have the BIG display, so I can't tell you how to get to the set up page, but I know there's a config page that can enable/disable the ballast.

It seems pretty unlikely (although not impossible) that the controller would fail. If they all quit, then it's not just one bad wire. Other than that, I don't know what else your issue could be. If that's not it, hopefully your dealer can get you up and going quickly.

08M3Sedanski
06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
I just had a longshot thought. If none of the pumps turn on at all, did the model and configuration set up page accidentally get changed to no ballast installed? I don't have the BIG display, so I can't tell you how to get to the set up page, but I know there's a config page that can enable/disable the ballast.

It seems pretty unlikely (although not impossible) that the controller would fail. If they all quit, then it's not just one bad wire. Other than that, I don't know what else your issue could be. If that's not it, hopefully your dealer can get you up and going quickly.

I did reset the BIG system to factory defaults trying to clear a service warning that the dealer told me I could clear. Perhaps that disabled my ballast? If that were the case would I still see the ballast tank icons on the trim and ballast screen showing percent of full however if I tried to touch them to select them the would not allow me to select them? ... Because that is exactly what it is doing.

ddanenberger
06-13-2012, 01:19 PM
go to the configuation on the GDIG (center gauge). See if the boat is correct, ballast, and tabs. You can use the scroll and select to program it if it is wrong.

08M3Sedanski
06-13-2012, 02:44 PM
go to the configuation on the GDIG (center gauge). See if the boat is correct, ballast, and tabs. You can use the scroll and select to program it if it is wrong.

Thanks. Unfortunately I am not at the boat for a few days. Hypothetically, if the configuration was incorrect, would it keep the physical switches from operating the ballast pumps?

bcd
06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes, the physical switches are wired as inputs to the controller now.

ddanenberger
06-13-2012, 02:58 PM
As a example, ours they installed a GDIG with zero off and zero off in the big. Everything was a problem. MC had the dealer install a non zero off GDIG. Zero off worked but lost ballast and tabs. MC had us look at the GDIG programming. It was set for x15 with no ballast and no tabs. After reprogramming last night (less than 2 minutes) everything works. Even the engine light went off.

08M3Sedanski
06-13-2012, 03:50 PM
As a example, ours they installed a GDIG with zero off and zero off in the big. Everything was a problem. MC had the dealer install a non zero off GDIG. Zero off worked but lost ballast and tabs. MC had us look at the GDIG programming. It was set for x15 with no ballast and no tabs. After reprogramming last night (less than 2 minutes) everything works. Even the engine light went off.

Great information! Thank you. This might also explain why I still have the SERV REQ warning showing. I passed this info along to my dealer as the first thing to check. They have to do some other work anyway on the boat and they are finishing my lift and pier this week. Thanks again to everyone for your support.