PDA

View Full Version : Lakes near Vernal, Utah

russlars
06-11-2012, 04:28 PM
My daughter and son-in-law recently moved to Vernal, Utah and want me to bring the boat down for some lake time this summer. Looks like there are some good options nearby. Anyone have input on Red Fleet or Steinaker Reservoirs? Mainly looking for some predictably smooth water but it would also be nice if there was a dock or marina where the boat could stay in the water and some nice camping spots. I would also consider Flaming Gorge if there is a compelling reason to go there.

itch2ski
06-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Never been to Red Fleet or Steinaker, but Flaming Gorge is beautiful. It is a good sized lake with a lot of arms for exploring and skiing. Smooth water can definitely be found, but storms can sneak up on you there also, so be careful. If the weather looks good for the time you will be here I would highly recommend visiting Flaming Gorge.

Skyskiguy
06-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Red Fleet is almost like a mini Lake Powell. Steinaker is nice too, as long as there is enough water. Starvation reservoir is a great place as well.

Thrall
06-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Everything itch2ski said about Flaming Gorge.
Only made one trip there before we ended up moving again, but awesome lake. Endless places to go and even when it was blown out we found decent water.

russlars
06-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Never been to Red Fleet or Steinaker, but Flaming Gorge is beautiful. It is a good sized lake with a lot of arms for exploring and skiing. Smooth water can definitely be found, but storms can sneak up on you there also, so be careful. If the weather looks good for the time you will be here I would highly recommend visiting Flaming Gorge.
Can you tell me anything about camping areas, cabins or marinas at Flaming Gorge? I would prefer a drive up camp and a nearby dock or marina instead of boat camping.

Thrall
06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
The national recreation area has a large campground, some sites are on the water where youcould moor the boat at camp. Boat launch (not much of a marina as I recall) is only a couple minutes from the campground.

russlars
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
The national recreation area has a large campground, some sites are on the water where youcould moor the boat at camp. Boat launch (not much of a marina as I recall) is only a couple minutes from the campground.
Thanks. Looking at google earth there appears to be a nice marina with lots of boat slips near the dam which is also closer to Vernal than the Recreation Area. However, I don't see a campground there. Do you know anything about this area of the lake?