PDA

View Full Version : Might become a new mastercraft owner this week! a few ??

agonzales1981
06-11-2012, 08:47 AM
My question is, are the hours ok? I plan on a compression check and water test of course. What are other common problems I should look for when I look at the boat tonight? We have agreed on a price of 13k as long as the boat is as nice as it appears of course, is this price inline?

Thanks I look forward to becoming a mastercraft owner and bugging everybody with my questions...lol!

Here is a link with pics and a copy of the ad;

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa6/kdwall44/1994%20Prostar%20205/

1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205 w/ aluminum wakeboard tower

Direct Drive "EFI" Electronic Fuel Injected 350 Indmar Chevy V8 with 840 hours.
Interior is in good condition and installed new gas shocks on the observer seat compartment and engine cover.
Wakeboard tower has 3 sets of board racks (holding 6 boards total) with new bungee cords installed. There is room to add another set of board racks if needed in the future. A wakeboard tower mirror was installed and I also have the original mirror that came with the boat.
Nice stereo system with 3 amps (All Hidden), Kenwood deck, equalizer mounted under dash for controlling the music from the sub, tower, and interior all separately, 12" Kicker sub mounted in ported box that is sprayed with bed-liner to protect it from moisture, 4 Polk audio interior speakers, and 4 Polk audio tower speakers mounted in polished aluminum cans.
2 batteries (start up battery and deep cycle) connected with an Add-A-Battery relay and switch for automatic or manual battery selection.
Teak swim platform
Mastercraft single axle trailer and canvas boat cover included in price. Bought two new tires and a keel roller for it last year. I have new carpet for the bunks that is still in the package as well.
Ballast pump and 3 fat sacks (ballast bags) of different sizes for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.
Regular oil changes and winterizing done every year.
The boat is always stored in covered storage to protect it from the weather.
This boat is know for its ski wake but also throws a really nice wakeboard wake when weighted.
I've had this boat since March of 2009 and use it on a regular basis 8 or 9 months out of the year. I had the starter rebuilt but haven't had any other issues with the boat. The motor runs strong and will yank you out of the water on deep water starts. I love this boat but I'm selling because I recently purchased another boat.

mikeg205
06-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Hit the FAQ for checking...most important...check oil and tranny oil after water test... No pics of motor?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427

toolz
06-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Looks like a nice boat, and if it's been maintained properly, it should run a long time, BUTTT, there's a lot of low hour boats out there, so I don't know if it's worth taking a chance. I paid $16,500 for my '98 200VRS last fall with 113 hours, but I ain't got that fancy music box. I'd sure check it over good.

Ski-me
06-11-2012, 11:09 AM
It sure sounds like the stereo is the important part here....

Anyways, nice color combo for a 94'. Can that tower be removed/lowered in any way? Looks very tall and top heavy (boat is leaning to one side with the boards on it).

I'd also like to look at the engine...but it sounds like its the standard one, not the LT1. All the stickers are gone too and are getting harder to find unless you want to update those to a more modern look. And check for any hull damage.

Overall, it looks to be in good condition (interior wise) so pay attention to the engine, temperature throughout all of your testing, smooth transmission, etc.

Check the prop and also see if there is any vibration while testing....could be a dinged or bent prop.

Price is OK but the things that pull it down (standard engine, higher engine hours and single axle trailer).

I paid $14k for mine a few years ago with 200 hrs, single axle and LT1 engine.

aarosurf
06-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Looks like a good boat. No decals? Check the hull for damage as the keel roller was replaced. Check for saltwater/brackish use if in Texas with 800+ hrs

agonzales1981
06-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Thank you for all the responses. Seems like the consensus is the price is a little high?

Jerseydave
06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Things to look for on a high hour boat

-stiff steering cable, may need replacement
-strut bushing and rudder bushing play
-check packing on prop shaft, is it leaking? (easy fix)
-exhaust manifold and risers, are the leaking? (if original, 18 years is a long time)

You should run the boat, then do a compression test and check the oil to make sure there is no sign of water getting in.

If you do nothing but wakeboard (and/or surf) you should consider a v-drive like an older X-star or X-2. All around best choice for wakeboarding on a budget. More $$ though.

$13K is a bit high......maybe $10K-$11K?
(Cloak on here purchased a '93 prostar 190 that's squeeky clean for under $13K)
Just saying maybe better deals are out there.

Ski-me
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Maybe a little high but not completely out of line. It really depends on the condition of the boat. It's hard to find a boat that is really clean and taken care of in this era. It's worth it to me to spend a thousand or two over budget if it's in great shape! Just pay attention when you look at it.

Good luck!

Ski-me
06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Are you after a true ski boat (this one) or a wakeboarding boat? Or a combo type boat? What's the most important function you need/want?

agonzales1981
06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
More of a pleasure family boat. Have 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. Mostly cruising, pullin tubes and anchoring for kids to swim. I have never wakeboarded but absolutely want to try it.

Jorski
06-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Just to put some context around the discussion about the hours on the boat.

First, the 840 hours works out to under 50 per year...that is fairly conservative to average usage, especially for a warm weather region.

- also if they really like those tunes...the hour meter runs when the key is in the on position, even if the motor isn't running. Hours could be overstated.

Secondly, I would rather have a well maintained 800 hour engine over a poorly maintained 300 hour engine. You have to judge the owner.

Finally, I bought a used 1993 (with LT1) that had 600 hours several years ago, and it now has 1,400 hours and is just as strong as when I bought it. Many claim that properly maintained these engines are good for 2000 hours plus before rebuild.

I find almost inevitably, that if the owner was anal about the condition of the rest of the boat, he probably treated the maintenance schedule the same way.

Good luck, the boat looks nice.