PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems (86 Prostar)

blasterman88
06-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Hey guys, im new here, and a new boat owner. I bought a pristine 86 Prostar 190, except it is a hard starter. It had old fuel in it, i syphoned about all of it out and put in fresh fuel. The battery is 2 years old, and i beleive it is 625 cold cranking amps. To me it seems that it turns the motor over really slow? Do i need a battery with more cranking amps? A friend of mine is suggesting a pertronix ignition, and says the will ease the starting getting rid of the points and all.

Any suggestions would be great. We got the boat to the lake today and i killed the battery trying to fire it. What is the best practice to fire it when the engine is cold? How many pumps on the throttle etc? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dan

PS... I met a nice gentlemen at the lake today (Camp Far West in Lincoln CA) named Dan. If you are reading this thanks for all the help getting my boat on the trailer!!

dtc
06-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Hey Dan ... no worries at all & thanks for the help getting my barge back on the trailer! I'm thankful that after 8 years of frequent boating, today was the first problem I've had. I was glad to help out a fellow boater and now it looks like a fellow TT'er! Not sure where you are, but I'm more than willing to help you out getting your ski tug running like a top. Shoot me a PM and I'll connect with you for some contact info. Although it was disappointing for both of our crews today, I always try to remind my family and crew, a day where nobody gets hurt and no boats get damaged is better than the alternative!

Hope some of the more knowledgeable TT'ers come along soon and offer you tons of help.

BTW, that winch I have is a bit more pricey, but imho the Fulton F2 winch is worth the safety for the family and friends who usually want to "help" with the launch/recovery process.

ttys,
Dan

mikeg205
06-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Always good to read about people helping each other on the water...nice job DTC... and +1 on the comment about no injuries and no damage... I say the same thing every time I go out.

Blaster...what brand and model of battery? even tho' its 2 years old it may have not be taking a good charge if was sitting around long with a low charge. Fully charged it should be 12.5 to 12.7 volts.

Lot's of posts here in changing to electronic ignition. Just read another thread on the same issue. I don't miss those pesky points and how they wear...making starting rough...

Old gas... I also recommend some fresh fuel and add some sea foam. Old gas could also mean dirty carb.

You can get a new exide power sports 650 amp for around 60 bucks. Check plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor.

Lot's of folks here with the 351w carb'd engine you have. DO some searches so you can identify you carb...

post some pictures... we love seeing everyone's boat...:)

Lumbergh
06-11-2012, 10:16 AM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/picures.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
06-11-2012, 10:31 AM
There are a few possibilities for slow cranking. All too often, there is more than one problem.

Bad battery connections
Weak battery
Weak alternator not charging battery sufficiently
Worn out starter
Timing set too far advanced

Start first with removing, cleaning and replacing ALL connections to include both positive and negative battery terminals, block ground, solenoid connections and connection at the starter.

Checking battery voltage with engine off (12.5 volts), and with the engine running (13.5+ volts) will give you further direction.

Removing the battery and starter for testing is a simple way to verify their condition.

blasterman88
06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
http://http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/blasterman88/photo.jpg

blasterman88
06-11-2012, 11:46 AM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/blasterman88/photo.jpg

blasterman88
06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Checking battery voltage with engine off (12.5 volts), and with the engine running (13.5+ volts) will give you further direction.

Removing the battery and starter for testing is a simple way to verify their condition.

So I tested the battery, im getting 13V when the engine isnt running. My battery tester says the battery is good and putting out 502 CCA. That just doesnt seem like alot to me for a boat, but you guys are the experts?

Lumbergh
06-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Nice boat. Love the colors...

thatsmrmastercraft
06-11-2012, 03:28 PM
So I tested the battery, im getting 13V when the engine isnt running. My battery tester says the battery is good and putting out 502 CCA. That just doesnt seem like alot to me for a boat, but you guys are the experts?

Not necessarily the largest battery you could have, but certainly enough to start properly. Have you gone through all the connections?

blasterman88
06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Not yet. What specifically would you look for? Ill go through them all but is there something that is finicky with these things i should know? I ordered the Pertronix ignition and coil and that should be here tomorrow as well.

blasterman88
06-13-2012, 02:24 AM
UPDATE: Today I got the Pertronix ignition and installed it, and re set the timing. I charged up the battery, and messed with the fuel/air screw. She runs and starts like a CHAMP!!! The fuel screws were only turned out 1 turn, so it was starving for fuel. Turned it out another turn on both sides and bang, idles smooth, starts super easy, and purrs like a kitten! Thanks for all your guys help! much appreciated!

dtc
06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
UPDATE: idles smooth, starts super easy, and purrs like a kitten!

Sweet!!!! That's awesome you're back up and running. I still haven't ripped into mine and will miss this coming weekend due to work, but hopefully will see you out the following weekend. Shoot me an email if you want to try and get together on the water or have me send you any of that info.

ttyl

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2012, 10:29 AM
UPDATE: Today I got the Pertronix ignition and installed it, and re set the timing. I charged up the battery, and messed with the fuel/air screw. She runs and starts like a CHAMP!!! The fuel screws were only turned out 1 turn, so it was starving for fuel. Turned it out another turn on both sides and bang, idles smooth, starts super easy, and purrs like a kitten! Thanks for all your guys help! much appreciated!

Now that it is running well, with the engine properly warmed up, try turning the idle mixture screws in 1/4 turn and see what happens to your idle quality. You want to have as much rpm as you can get. If the idle speed increases too much when you turn the mixture screws, reduce idle speed with the idle speed screw. Rev the engine to 1200 rpm or so to clear out the carb and try again. Most of our boats will run best with the mixture screws in the range of 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns out. 2 is sometimes a little rich. After running for a few outings, pull several spark plugs to "read" them for proper color.

blasterman88
06-18-2012, 11:17 PM
So we had a decent time out in the water this weekend. Boat seemed to get hard to start again. Would always have to pump the throttle back twice for it to fire up even if the motor was shut down just to pick up someone out of the water. We did notice the boat got kinda warm and saw smoke coming from the engine compartment. We inspected the water pump impeller and it had burned up. We replaced it, and also noticed the top water line to the pump had a huge leak, which would have cause the boat to continuously loose prime if my thinking is correct. Got that fixed and it ran great. Now im thinking we need to overhaul the carb. How do I identify what carb i have. I know it is a Holley, but not sure of a model???? how would I find this?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2012, 11:23 PM
So we had a decent time out in the water this weekend. Boat seemed to get hard to start again. Would always have to pump the throttle back twice for it to fire up even if the motor was shut down just to pick up someone out of the water. We did notice the boat got kinda warm and saw smoke coming from the engine compartment. We inspected the water pump impeller and it had burned up. We replaced it, and also noticed the top water line to the pump had a huge leak, which would have cause the boat to continuously loose prime if my thinking is correct. Got that fixed and it ran great. Now im thinking we need to overhaul the carb. How do I identify what carb i have. I know it is a Holley, but not sure of a model???? how would I find this?

Carburetor should have a stamp or tag, if not post up a picture of it, most likely it's a 4160

cptskier15
07-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Post a picture :)

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
The numbers you need are stamped here.