PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue (86 Prostar 190)

blasterman88
06-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, im new here, and a new boat owner. I bought a pristine 86 Prostar 190, except it is a hard starter. It had old fuel in it, i syphoned about all of it out and put in fresh fuel. The battery is 2 years old, and i beleive it is 625 cold cranking amps. To me it seems that it turns the motor over really slow? Do i need a battery with more cranking amps? A friend of mine is suggesting a pertronix ignition, and says the will ease the starting getting rid of the points and all.

Any suggestions would be great. We got the boat to the lake today and i killed the battery trying to fire it. What is the best practice to fire it when the engine is cold? How many pumps on the throttle etc? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dan

PS... I met a nice gentlemen at the lake today (Camp Far West in Lincoln CA) named Dan. If you are reading this thanks for all the help getting my boat on the trailer!!

madcityskier
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Pull the neutral pin and drop the throttle to wide open reverse to set the choke. Let it up to 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and fire it up. Manual lists starter Max load at 670amps. I'm "current"ly running a 4 year old interstate battery that specs 675cca. No problems, but reading this next time around I may be looking for a bit more on that.
A decent cleaning of the Carb never hurts either. How many hours do you have and how does it do once it's started? Does it take a long time to warm up, hard to restart or keep running at an idle?

dtc
06-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Any idea what happened to all the replies in this thread? I swear just yesterday there were a dozen or so replies. Anyway, hope some of these are helping out!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Any idea what happened to all the replies in this thread? I swear just yesterday there were a dozen or so replies. Anyway, hope some of these are helping out!

Blasterman88 started two threads on the same topic.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48337

blasterman88
06-13-2012, 02:26 AM

Dan check out the update on the other thread under engine/drivetrain. Got her running like a top!