PDA

View Full Version : Sping in the trailer pull "knob"?

Surfer
08-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Hi,

With the word tow knob (trailer hitch, pull bar???) I mean the part in the trailer, which is attached to the cars towbar.
Sorry I can not find the correct term. :rolleyes:

My MC trailers tow knob moves freely ca. 5 inches.
I know that this part is meant to move, for braking, but, as there is no spring, it is pretty unpleasant to drive with it. Accelerating and braking is pain in the ***, as the trailer tow knob everytime hits hard either end.

So my question, should there be a spring in the trailer?
Anywhere to get it? Any spring from a local hardware shop?
I do not know if the previous owner has removed it or it has not existed at all?

The boat is MC PS 190, 1995, original 1 axle trailer.

bucky
08-23-2005, 08:55 AM
My hitch is an '01, has a spring and a hydraulic damper. It's probably the smoothest trailer I've ever pulled.

Leroy
08-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Mine only moves ~ one inch and you can feel the shift at times, at 5 inches something sounds very wrong. I would have the dealer look at it.

sizzler
08-23-2005, 09:17 AM
surfer.....do you have disc or drum brakes......???

most of the guys on here with modern trailers will have hydraulic discs...we in england have mechanical drum brakes and have lots of "play" in the hitch......mine moves a good 5 to 6" to acctuate the steel cables controlling the brakes....my guess is that you have this type of set up(could be wrong)..and that the play is acceptable....

Surfer
08-23-2005, 09:47 AM
I have mechanical drum brakes.
I understand that braking requires the movement, but as it moves totally free, it's in every acceleration and braking like hitting the cars tow bar with a huge hammer (which is the 1550 kg trailer mass)!
Maybe a spring with not so much tension, or some rubber parts on both ends inside. Though I have not opened the tow part of the trailer, do not know what's inside.
One theory: The trailer spring has had to be removed in first inspection, in order the US trailer to be used in finnish roads....maybe not.
Now I am off to ski!

MarkP
08-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Now I am off to ski!
Bring the camera

east tx skier
08-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Surfer, have you checked your brake fluid lately? When it gets low (or bone dry), the brake actuator (I think that's what we're talking about) on the trailer tongue will bang up against the ball. Had to pull someone's boat recently who didn't see the need for brake fluid. Not a pleasant experience.

sizzler
08-23-2005, 11:25 AM
unless i'm horrendously mistaken doug ,our trailers dont have brakefluid....when we brake the ,momentum of the trailer pushes a lever fwd ,pulling on a rod attached to the calipers in the drums..this slows the trailer...once this is over and the car accelerates away ,the bar is retracted.....our brake shoes only work when going fwd,so we can reverse without activating the brakes.......you can not operate the parking brake i.e when the trailer is off of the car,on a hill with the boat facing backwards......(ask how i know this)..it has to have its chocks in place

MarkP
08-23-2005, 11:27 AM
unless i'm horrendously mistaken doug ,our trailers dont have brakefluid....when we brake the ,momentum of the trailer pushes a lever fwd ,pulling on a rod attached to the calipers in the drums..this slows the trailer...once this is over and the car accelerates away ,the bar is retracted.....our brake shoes only work when going fwd,so we can reverse without activating the brakes.......you can not operate the parking brake i.e when the trailer is off of the car,on a hill with the boat facing backwards......(ask how i know this)..it has to have its chocks in place
Your trailer is either different or you are mistaken..

sizzler
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
we dont have your trailers over here mark...we are not allowed them.....

will take pics when i head up to the lake on friday for 10 days... :woohoo:

mark g
08-23-2005, 05:42 PM
sizzlers right, over here in the uk the trailer has a damper in side the hitch assembly,
its just a short hydraulic ram to cusion the force, easy job to replace just got to make sure you get right part / replacement due to the forces weights involved. had to replace mine when i got my boat all the breaks had been disconected they where shot. parts are available from any good trailer shop.

Hoosier Bob
08-23-2005, 06:34 PM
See East TX. Check your fluid under the black plastic cap (or alloy backing switch) on the top of the tongue 1-2' back. Also, if your trailer is similar to mine there is a plastic tube that the main brake line runs through in the port rail that is prone to rusting your lines out. I had to replace my entire brake system last year. When I would take off (bang!) and when I would stop (bang!). I picked up the parts very reasonably from a local trailer supply and now they are brand new! If you need the name of the supplier I can provide. I also have a nifty catalogue that outlines and pictures all of the parts.
Good luck!UOTE=Surfer]Hi,

With the word tow knob (trailer hitch, pull bar???) I mean the part in the trailer, which is attached to the cars towbar.
Sorry I can not find the correct term. :rolleyes:

My MC trailers tow knob moves freely ca. 5 inches.
I know that this part is meant to move, for braking, but, as there is no spring, it is pretty unpleasant to drive with it. Accelerating and braking is pain in the ***, as the trailer tow knob everytime hits hard either end.

So my question, should there be a spring in the trailer?
Anywhere to get it? Any spring from a local hardware shop?
I do not know if the previous owner has removed it or it has not existed at all?

The boat is MC PS 190, 1995, original 1 axle trailer.[/QUOTE]

Surfer
08-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Hi!

Thanks for all for the answers!

I need to open the trailer coupler, and see the mechanics, how does it work. Unless adjustment fixes the problem. Shouldn't be too complicated.

-> Adjust the brakes. Well, as previous posting (thanks to you!) in this thread, this might require changing some parts.

I found also:
Maybe all the trailers basically work the same way,
MC and championtrailers.

http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#trouble_shooting

Problem D:
My brake coupler makes a loud clunking noise every time I stop and my brakes are not effective.
CAUSE -1D: Brakes are extremely out of adjustment - When brakes are in proper adjustment, the wheel cylinder push rod only travels a very short distance to engage the shoes to the hub drum. When the brakes are out of adjustment, the push rod must travel further requiring more wheel cylinder travel and therefore more hydraulic output from the master cylinder. When the master cylinder reaches its maximum hydraulic output capability, it travels to its maximum during every stop, resulting in the clunking of the brake coupler.
CORRECTION -1D: Adjust brakes. (The clunk is a good warning sign that you need to adjust brakes).

Hoosier Bob
08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Check out www.waymires.com here in Indiana. They can send you a catalogue that has everything for my system outlined. Their prices were very good and the service was excellent (my experience). They had my whole system in stock so I went ahead and replaced everything! :toast: