PDA

View Full Version : Finally on the water with our first boat!

JDC
06-10-2012, 09:15 PM
We bought our Prostar 209 in late Sept. My wife and I had it out once in early Oct before it went in the garage for the winter. I pulled it out a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in the driveway, waiting. There was always something keeping us from getting to the lake; Work, weather, other plans, etc. :rolleyes:
Saturday, the stars and the moon were in line, so we FINALLY made it out.

My wife bought me a waterproof camera for Christmas, so I took a swim to get some photos. Just had to share one or two. :)

If I was ordering new, I wouldn't have picked brown, but it's ok with us now that it's ours. ;) Ready for family fun!

The boy had to get in all the shots. :)

BrooksfamX2
06-10-2012, 09:18 PM
congratulations.... very nice.....

mikeg205
06-10-2012, 09:19 PM
nice...what waterway were you on? I remember when I got mine...bought in august...brought it home on saturday...had to wait a week to take her out...was a very long week.

Did you you sit in her over the winter and make motor sounds...there was a thread about that here that started in late winter when we were all getting a bit antsy,

JDC
06-10-2012, 09:35 PM
nice...what waterway were you on? I remember when I got mine...bought in august...brought it home on saturday...had to wait a week to take her out...was a very long week.

Did you you sit in her over the winter and make motor sounds...there was a thread about that here that started in late winter when we were all getting a bit antsy,That was at Morse Lake.

I did a lot of work / picked over it during the winter... so we did sit in it a few times for a drink... or two. :)

My son got behind the wheel and made the motor sounds, so I lived that part of my life through him. :D

madcityskier
06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
I like the color. Beautiful boat.

mikeg205
06-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Hope you're on the water on the first day of summer...I'll be stuck in the Indy convention center tuesday thru late saturday night of that week... :(

BrianT
06-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Looks good, I like the color!

scott023
06-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Great color combo. Beautiful on the water.

SunCoast 83
06-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Great boat. I do like the colors too

Ironhorse
06-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Congrats! Beautiful boat.

O2BESOHUGE
06-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Very Nice First Choice! You Will Love It!

02ProstarSammyD
06-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Pretty 209. Can't really go wrong with that boat. Good job with actually having pics too haha

Did you you sit in her over the winter and make motor sounds

lying if he says no. I'm doing that by monday morning

2RLAKE
06-11-2012, 08:46 AM
We bought our Prostar 209 in late Sept. My wife and I had it out once in early Oct before it went in the garage for the winter. I pulled it out a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in the driveway, waiting. There was always something keeping us from getting to the lake; Work, weather, other plans, etc. :rolleyes:
Saturday, the stars and the moon were in line, so we FINALLY made it out.

My wife bought me a waterproof camera for Christmas, so I took a swim to get some photos. Just had to share one or two. :)

If I was ordering new, I wouldn't have picked brown, but it's ok with us now that it's ours. ;) Ready for family fun!

The boy had to get in all the shots. :)

great pictures ... i had a 2005 and ts one of my favorites of all times ... hugs congrats

Lumbergh
06-11-2012, 09:15 AM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/napdynamite.jpg

mikeg205
06-11-2012, 09:24 AM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/napdynamite.jpg

luv your pic's lum.. have you been out after all your work... (no thread jack here..just a question.. :))

thatsmrmastercraft
06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Great looking boat:cool:

aquaman
06-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Good looking boat. Boats weren't meant to sit in the driveway. :)

onejdgreen
06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Congrats! Nice boat!!

JDC
06-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the nice comments! You guys must like MasterCraft boats. :D

I thought I'd share a photo that shows just how tight of a fit I have getting it in/out of the garage (for the winter only obviously). The tower arms rub the door seal and I have about 1-1/8" on each side when it gets to the guide poles. It's a side load garage to boot.
It fits though. :)

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Wow great boat!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

scharette
06-12-2012, 07:35 AM

I thought I'd share a photo that shows just how tight of a fit I have getting it in/out of the garage (for the winter only obviously). The tower arms rub the door seal and I have about 1-1/8" on each side when it gets to the guide poles. It's a side load garage to boot.

First nice boat!

What is the height of your garage door ? i just purchased a house and the garage door height is 6 feet 10 inches. I'm wondering if my 2005 x2 will fit ?

Fletchx7
06-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Good looking boat...congrats! Maybe we will see you out on Morse this year.

sheckski
06-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Love the color. I think 209 has some of the best looking lines ever. Pretty boat.

hoosier skier
06-12-2012, 10:01 AM
That's a lot nicer than my first boat , bought a beat up Rinker with a huge 120 IO back in 83 . We skied the sh t out of it , still brings back great memories but I think I'll keep my Prostat . Enjoy !

Sullivan
06-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I like it alot, great color. Congrats.

scott023
06-12-2012, 03:13 PM

Holy shnikes. That's tight.

Granite_33
06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Great looking boat!! Congrats.

ps205
06-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi - congrats on the new boat. I am on Morse as well. PM me if you have any questions. We have owned our 209 for quite some time.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vkjint.jpg

JDC
06-12-2012, 08:55 PM
First nice boat!

What is the height of your garage door ? i just purchased a house and the garage door height is 6 feet 10 inches. I'm wondering if my 2005 x2 will fit ?My opening door is 83-5/8" high. I have the door adjusted to go full travel and the tower brushes the door seal. If you have a tower like mine... you may be... not getting it in. Or you could take it off like ps205 did in the photo above. Not all towers are created equal though.
Good looking boat...congrats! Maybe we will see you out on Morse this year.We need small Team Talk flags or something so we can notice other Team Talkers on the lake. LOL. If you see us, make sure you wave us down. :wavey:

Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments. It puts a big smile on my face. :)

coz
06-12-2012, 09:24 PM
If I was ordering new, I wouldn't have picked brown.

I really like that color, a break from the norm, enjoy the new ride :headbang:

JDC
06-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi - congrats on the new boat. I am on Morse as well. PM me if you have any questions. We have owned our 209 for quite some time.Since you're on Morse, my question to you would be: How do you turn an inboard around in the small space you have if you launch from the center spot of the 3 wide launch ramp. :confused:

Reverse = never straight back, so I'll run into something before I get turned around. :o
I got lucky when I was up to launch; I had a side spot. It's probably plenty wide for some old pro who's done it X# of times, but for newbie me, it's a bit nerve wracking.

A slip would solve that problem wouldn't it. 8p

Moosecrackers
06-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Practice, practice, practice...start in the open water on a calm day. I've also practiced during the week when things aren't busy in between some of the slips. I usually try to get a side launch spot on that ramp anyway - I can back it up but it's pretty ugly sometimes.

A slip will just turn the bottom of your boat green in about three days. Then you'll want to pony up for a HydroHoist.

Be careful - there are plenty of shallow spots on that water, especially with the lack of rain this year so far.

I like the brown - good color combination and different from all of the others.

AZX9
06-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Hit reverse until you start getting close to hitting the dock on the right. Spin the wheel to the left all the way and bump into forward gear. Depending on how wide the space you may make it or have to spin the wheel back to left all the way and hit reverse. Backup again as far as you can and then spin the wheel again all the way to the left. By now you should be able to turn all the way out of the launch area.

A lot of times I will back up honoring the right bias by turning the wheel to the left and give it a little extra gas. This gets your nose turned a little to the left as your backing out. You will have a little faster momentum also. Put it in Forward gear with no extra gas and spin the wheel all the way to the left. The extra momentum from backing up fast will carry over and the bow will keep moving as the stern stays somewhat stationary. What you are essentially doing is the 70's style "Rockford Files" or "Starsky & Hutch" reverse 180 get away where they hall *** backwards and spin the front of the car around and jamb it in drive, peal out, and speed away. Just remember slower reverse is not better for this maneuver.

Fletchx7
06-13-2012, 09:28 AM
jdcarpenter--I'll look for you. We don't hit Morse a lot as we tend to travel around, but I'll keep you posted when we do. We are actually talking about heading there Saturday. I'll be in a yellow X7 with a yellow bimini. As far as turning after you launch, both Morse and Giest can be really tight, especially if 3 boats are on the ramp. I usually tap reverse and forward several times with my wheel cranked hard left. Ends up being about a 20 point turn, but keeps me off of everyone else and I can be out of there within a minute. Just takes some practice and feel of your boat. Just remember to keep an eye on your platform as you start to swing around so you don't clip the dock or anyone else. I put a nice gouge in my old Tristar at Morse because I got too impatient.

Ps205--good looking 209! My father has one identical. The only two I have seen with that color combo.

ps205
06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I will agree with everyones post in that it just takes practice to back up an inboard... I have been working straight inboards since I was 11 and that was a long, long time ago. I usually just get the boat backed in and wait until the other boats have cleared or make sure i am the first one off the trailer. Morse is wide enough to back out until you are sideways and then you cut it going straight. You usually have to give it one additional reverse.

Fletchx7 - Thanks I really do like the look of our color combo and I have never seen another one but I HATE the black because it never looks clean once you dip it into Morse. HA!

JDC
06-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi - congrats on the new boat. I am on Morse as well. PM me if you have any questions. We have owned our 209 for quite some time.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vkjint.jpgI was going to PM you but I discovered I can't add a photo to a PM. I noticed your trailer doesn't have the deep U channel at the bow. Do you have problems with the bow eye hitting as others have talked about with these? Mine has the deep channel. It's a 2004.
---

I just put the boat in temporary storage (2-3 days) at Morse Marina so I can replace the wood and carpet on the trailer. I had lots of wood showing. :eek: Also found 1/2 of the bow bunk was redone at some point with 3/4" plywood and it's destroyed.
I didn't see it on our first time out. Since no one else was there (cold October day), the trailer just stayed at the ramp and we just drove the boat back on. This time out, my wife parked the trailer and when I went back to get it, I saw the work ahead of me. Easy enough, it's just the logistics of getting it done. :)

Thanks guys for the last 4 posts and all the advise on backing in close quarters!! I WILL take your advise. I may wait a while on the Starsky & Hutch move though. :D
Maybe on a slow day, I can practice at the slips on the west side of the dock. I may sit by and watch a few others at the ramp as well.

Thanks again,
Jeff

ps205
06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Hey Jeff,

PM sent your way

moleson10
06-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Love the 209's. I had a 197 and they look identical to me. One of the most elegant hull designs on any boat IMO.

shepherd
06-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Love the 209's. I had a 197 and they look identical to me. One of the most elegant hull designs on any boat IMO.

I never noticed before how much the 209 looks like the 197. What are the differences in specs? I suppose the 209 is longer and heavier. Is it wider? How's the slalom wake compare to the 197?

Fletchx7
06-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I never noticed before how much the 209 looks like the 197. What are the differences in specs? I suppose the 209 is longer and heavier. Is it wider? How's the slalom wake compare to the 197?

The 209 was 20' 11.5" IIRC. I do know that it will not fit in my garage..19x22, but my X7 will. For some reason, I thought the width was 6-8 inches wider, but I don't quote me on that. It is noticeable though, especially when you have 3 people sitting across the main console. The gunnels are higher as well, but you can still dip your bow if not paying attention. I never skied the 209 through a course, but it does have a larger wake. It's been several years since I have skied behind my father's, but I remember the words that came out of my mouth the first time I crossed it after skiing behind my Tristar :D

I still think it is better than a lot of other boats out there.

JDC
06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
The 197 is 19' 8'' long, 92" wide, 2800 lbs., 31 gal tank, max 6 people.

The 209 is 20' 11-1/2" long. 96" wide, 2850 lbs., 34 gal tank, max 9 people.

It's 1' 3-1/2" longer, 4" wider, and only 50 lbs. heavier than the 197.

I spent a small amount of time in a friends 190 years ago and that's when I decided I wanted a MasterCraft. I've not been in a 197 but it's the same size as the 190 and then add the open bow. The open bow makes all the difference for a family/fun boat. With our small family in the 209, it's nice and roomy. :) It'll fill up quick as the word has gotten out to our kid's friends. The more the merrier!

Now that I'm home from work, I need to get out there and finish my wood and carpeting job on my trailer.

JDC
06-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Well I had to come back and tell AZXP, Fletchx7, and ps205, that I took all of your advise in and it helped me quite a bit today. I unloaded in the spot farthest from Wolfies and once I was off, I kept it turned hard left and made 2 switches from forward to reverse and I was spun around in no time. :)

I was able to get a bit more practice in as we had to go back for my hat that I left in the car (thinning hair necessity - LOL) and I used the slips to park in. When pulling out, I got a bit more practice in reverse and spinning around. For me it was a much more relaxing day than the first. Each time out will get easier, I'm sure.

We spent 7 hours on the lake today and the kids are ecstatic. Both kids and my wife got up on a wakeboard for the first time! I'm next when my wife is comforatable enough to pull me. :( Tubing and swimming, and just fun!! A great day before fathers day!