PDA

View Full Version : Boat taking on water

Kdmann64
06-10-2012, 03:40 PM
When my 03 x2 sits in the lake it takes on water. A pretty good amount over a short time. Friday biliage was clogged so I had to cut the day short. Yesterday biliage was working and it kept up fine. Where is it most likely getting in and what do I do. I just bought the boat.

bobx1
06-10-2012, 04:16 PM
You are sure this happens when it sits in the water and not while engine is running and not under way?

Are the ballast tanks empty?

If yes to the above then the next option is ....While on the trailer, put the plugs in and put some water in your bilge (not too much) and look for leaks.

BrooksfamX2
06-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Is the rudder shaft leaking?

Kdmann64
06-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Does have ballast, not sure if they are totally empty I'll check as soon as it stops raining, I noticed it first when we were floating while swimming, I emptied it and rode a while, rechecked and it had ot taken on any more. We could have sat a little with engine idling though.
How can I tell if rudder shaft is leaking?

bobx1
06-10-2012, 06:15 PM
You need to determine if it leaks while out of the water (look around all the thru hull fittings, around the plugs, around the rudder, around the shaft).

If no then put it in the water, start the engine and check for leaks around the impeller and trans cooler and cooling hoses and block drains, then put in gear and check the shaft for leaks (it will drip some), then fill the ballast tanks and check for leaks in the tanks and hoses and connections.

NOTE that a surprising amount of water can get into the bilge when people don't "drip-dry" when they climb on the sun pad while dripping water.

Kdmann64
06-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I'll check for leaks tomorrow while it's out of the water and then post results, thanks,

Kdmann64
06-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Ok I checked ballast they were empty. Cleaned engine compartment, and left plug in so that water was in the hill, I looked underneath and water was dripping out on the left side of the boat, it's not the water inlet, I think it's the speedometer. It's got a wheel like thing in it that spins, black plastic thing inside the boat, not sure how this attaches or how to fix, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Kdmann64
06-11-2012, 09:50 PM
The whole thing seems loose, any ideas?

Trig2275
06-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Sounds like perfect pass paddle wheel maybe. Search, google or YouTube perfect pass paddle wheel installation. Sorry no first hand experience with that one.

TOO-TALL
06-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Sounds like your perfect pass paddle wheel is loose.You should just beable to tighten it back down by screwing the top down clockwise.On the top you will see tighten or loosen with arrows.
There is also a o-ring inside the paddle wheel your o-ring could be bad.

macattack
06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Agree, it sounds like Perfect Pass paddle wheel (see pic below). The paddle wheel is normally attached to the bottom of the hull with 3M 4200 or 5200 marine adhesive specifically for underwater bonding. Inside the boat there is a retaining ring/collar that tightens the paddle wheel housing to the hull...mac

3M website:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GS77R8J LT2beQH8HT14PGTgl

AIMAR Website for owner manuals:
http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/installation-owners-guide.php

Kdmann64
06-12-2012, 11:38 AM
I Umpluged it and twisted the whole unit it just spins, it doesn't tighten up.

macattack
06-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Can you unscrew (CCW) the retaining ring/collar to make sure it was not cross-threaded?

Granite_33
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Try to tighten just the collar, not the entire unit. If the collar is loose, the entire unit WILL spin freely. However if you try to tighten just the collar and that spins freely, then it might be stripped threads.

Kdmann64
06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
If I use the adhesive top and bottom, then havemy wife hold the bottom paddle, then can I tighten the whole thing from the top by turning it clockwise?

swatguy
06-12-2012, 12:48 PM
The inside part that contains the paddle should not be glued in. Like others have mentioned the collar should tighten up the play ad seal it up. If that big mushroom ring in spinning when you tighten it then that needs to be sealed to the hull. Also loosen the collar and pull the paddle wheel unit out. There should be an o ring on that cylinder part containing the wheel and the electrical feed. If that's not there call perfectpassfor the o ring kit.

Kdmann64
06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I think it's just that the bottom part under e boat is spinning with the top

macattack
06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Do NOT hold the paddle wheel to tighten the housing to the hull; it rides on a small diameter shaft that you will bend and then you will have an additional problem. I would suggest you follow the advice that has been given:

- Take the whole unit out
- Check the o-ring
- Clean the bottom of the hull where the paddlewheel plate attaches
- Apply some 3M adhesive to the paddlewheel plate underneath the hull only
- Insert unit back into the hole and tighten down the retaining ring/collar that is on the inside of the hull (check prev pic with red arrow showing the retaining ring/collar)
- Ensure the unit is pointed in the correct direction; big arrow on top towards the bow
- Let the adhesive cure the recommended amount of time prior to using boat

45 mins tops for this job!

Kdmann64
06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm on it, I'll get it done and water test it, then I'll getback to you. Anks for your time.