PDA

View Full Version : distributor replacement

occva
06-10-2012, 01:28 PM
1986 MC with 351 indmar. Still has points. Got a real bad miss this morning? Popped the cap to have a look and found burned up points and a cap and rotor that I probably should have changed last year. The boat still has the original coil.

It looks like I can get a new pertronix billet disributor with flame thrower coil for a little more than all the parts and have a new distributor also. Anyone have any experience with this distributor? Anyone prefer a different brand?

Thanks

JimN
06-10-2012, 03:15 PM
1986 MC with 351 indmar. Still has points. Got a real bad miss this morning? Popped the cap to have a look and found burned up points and a cap and rotor that I probably should have changed last year. The boat still has the original coil.

It looks like I can get a new pertronix billet disributor with flame thrower coil for a little more than all the parts and have a new distributor also. Anyone have any experience with this distributor? Anyone prefer a different brand?

Thanks

You should be able to use any high energy marine distributor that's compatible with that engine, regardless of whether it's Pertronix, Mallory, etc. Pertronix is one of the manufacturers that was used when Indmar and a lot of other companies sourced parts for their engines, so it would be a good choice.

tockit
06-11-2012, 10:24 PM

Thanks
Where are you pricing your distributor/coil at? I've been looking for one also.

Thanks!

Matt L.
06-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Pertronix technical/customer support is awesome. I had as series of terrible ignition problems. Returned my Ignitor II for testing. they checked is out very quickly and returned it no charge. Even helped me diagnose my problem over the phone.

Good stuff!

Matt

thatsmrmastercraft
06-12-2012, 01:43 AM
I sold Pertronix ignition stuff wholesale for years and never had any come back as defective. I'm sure there are some issues, as there are with most everything, but I have never experienced any problem units.

occva
06-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Looked at Pertronix and Summit, but the best deal is on ebay. Saw a thread around here somewhere, a member did this upgrade with the ebay deal.

sam196370
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
I put a D.U.I distributor in my '79 S&S which has an internal coil. I highly recommend but make sure to get plug wires from them and measure the wire legnths you need - they gave me wires that were too short and had to send them back. Wasn't cheap but super easy to install, no points to change, added hp and boat always starts up on first turn.

http://www.performancedistributors.com

They had a marine grade unit for my 351W.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I put a D.U.I distributor in my '79 S&S which has an internal coil. I highly recommend but make sure to get plug wires from them and measure the wire legnths you need - they gave me wires that were too short and had to send them back. Wasn't cheap but super easy to install, no points to change, added hp and boat always starts up on first turn.

http://www.performancedistributors.com

They had a marine grade unit for my 351W.

Makes for a pretty clean installation. Nothing wrong with a good old HEI as long as it's their marine version. Not sure if I could get past the chebby distributor in my ford engine though. Just sayin'