PDA

View Full Version : Voltage problem

Andyg
06-10-2012, 12:36 AM
I have a 2008 PS 197 with the LY6 and i have been having low voltage problems the last couple of weeks that I can't figure out. I have a dual battery setup and both batteries are fully charged. With the key turned of I have 12.6 volts at every point I test. When I turn the key on the voltage at the dash drops to 11.5 volts. I have checked and cleaned all of the cable connections to both batteries and the battery switch. I checked the ground plate under the dash and that is fine. I am at a loss as to what could be causing the voltage to drop and give me an alarm. Everything is turned off. If turn anything on it drops even lower. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Thanks

Andy

Matt L.
06-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I would think that is normal since your ignition system should start to pull some current as the coil(s) charge up.

You might look for corrosion at all of your contact points between the battery and the dash. With a boat that new I wouldn't think that was an issue unless you're running in salt water or soaked a bunch of the connections.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/.f

The DexIT line of deoxidizing cleaners and gold based treatment products work wonders at eliminating resistance inducing corrosion and preventing its return. Has worked well for me in the past.

Later,

Matt

mikeg205
06-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Do you have a breaker panel in a 208 PS? I would start by turning stuff by flipping off breakers... sholdn't be too hard to find. I just changed my alternator and fixed by battery drain problem. JimN and others will chime and offer some great advice.

Andyg
06-10-2012, 01:32 PM
I figured it out. I had a ground that was disconnected. Everything is up and running again.

Thanks

Andy

mikeg205
06-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I figured it out. I had a ground that was disconnected. Everything is up and running again.

Thanks

Andy

Dang ground...lol... I was working on my trailer brakes and then went go to to some sets... Was real careful not to make sure I reconnect everything... much to my shagrin...I broke off the 17 year old wire to the trailer ground...and yes of course it was the last thing I checked...2 minute fix... luv the easy fixes - congrats....