PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating Perfect Pass on the 2012 BIG System

501s
06-09-2012, 08:37 PM
After taking delivery of my X-30 we found we were having some issues with our PP (Which others have been as well). After speaking with my dealer, I was shown there is a way to Calibrate the Speed to RPM settings of PP so it will function better. The default values were way off for my boat which is why we had the issues. So to do this follow the instructions below:

1-go to set up screen
2-select help
3-select cruise information
4-it now will show a bunch of settings CR CS KDW as well as Speedo to rpm, scroll down to these.
5- on the water match up RPM to the speed for example if you are doing 28 MPH adjust the rpm setting to match your actual engine RPM do this for the speeds you commonly use (there was a base setting for this and it will probably be off from your actual boat reading )

This should greatly improve the PP.

Hopefully this post stays here for all the owners of 2012's to see. Before doing this my PP didn't work well at all and the more weight we added the worse it was. After it has improved greatly.

Lucky26
06-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Are you using gps speed?

501s
06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't have Zero off but I did use my iphone GPS to calibrate the speed.

Lucky26
06-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Yea, same here. I will use my iphone.

AZX45OD
06-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I don't have Zero off but I did use my iphone GPS to calibrate the speed.

How did you calibrate your speed on your boat once you had your GPS data from the phone? Did you do it using the GDIG dispay (center round display on dash)?

Nick911
06-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the info!

Heelgrad
06-10-2012, 11:51 PM
How did you calibrate your speed on your boat once you had your GPS data from the phone? Did you do it using the GDIG dispay (center round display on dash)?

Yes, go in the setup of your GDIG to set the actual speed youre getting on your phone. It will show the current speed and allow you to set the actual speed. Mine was about 3mph off but now is set perfect and hasn't missed a beat. I just set PP at 20 mph and then my phone showed 23 mph on gps so I changed the boat to 23 as I was cruising down the lake (make sure there aren't a lot of boats around as you make the adjustment because you have to look at the screen as you're making the adjustment). As soon as I entered the actual speed we were set. Been perfect ever since and I've checked it multiple times since.

501s
06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey Heelgrad, how did you calibrate the speed on the GDIG? I asked my dealer about this and they don't know how to calibrate the speed either. Very frustrating. Mine is out about 2-3 MPH as well and I couldn't find anywhere in the BIG to calibrate it. I will try to get out on the water today or tomorrow to do it.

I sure wish this post stayed in the general section so people with brand new boats could see it, instead of having to sort through old posts in the maintaince section. I know it's how things work around here and I am fairly new to TT but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I guess it's better to hide any 2012 issues from the main section then to make them known so people can fix them or address them quickly.

Heelgrad
06-11-2012, 12:27 PM
501, I wish I had some pics to post for you but I don't so i'll try and type it through for you. To the left of your BIG screen (if you have one) are some toggle switches that control the GDIG. Use the scroll switch to go to SETUP on the GDIG and press the select switch. You'll have several choices come up, including one for Speed Configuration. Select that and you'll have two pieces of information come up on the GDIG. The top line will be your current speed. The bottom line will say actual speed (I believe the wording is correct). Prior to scrolling thru all this you'll want to be running at a preset speed on your perfect pass. I used 20 mph as my test point. On my GDIG it showed 19.8 mph as I was cruising down the lake but my phone showed 23 mph

This is where you need to start scrolling thru the directions I typed above. When you get to the current speed/actual speed page us the Up Arrow toggle to set the boat to 23 mph. You have to do it in 0.1 mph increments. Once your matching up to your phones GPS speed hit the Select toggle switch and it'll be locked in. When you do this you'll notice the boat catch in immediately and slow down since your perfect pass is still set at 20 mph and its accounting for the 3 mph error. After this you're good to go. Let me know if you've got any more questions. It worked great for me hopefully it'll get yours squared away.

501s
06-11-2012, 05:55 PM
That is super info, thanks so much for posting that. VERY valuable information for anyone with a 2012.

Thanks again. I will try it tonight.

Heelgrad
06-11-2012, 06:47 PM
No problem. Hope it works out for you. :)

501s
06-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Tried it today. It seemed to work but the perfect pass was then even worse! It was surging between 18 and 25 MPH. That is a huge jump when the PP is set to 22. I'm taking it to the dealer this week for my servicing, but I have to say I am pretty disappointed right now. If it doesn't come back fixed I will be contacting MC direct. I have faith in my dealer.... so we'll see. But surfing between 9-15 and wakeboarding between 18-25 isn't all that much fun. I could have bought an i/o to do that. Today with PP engaged I was surfing at 10 and my son bumped the throttle and the boat speed up to 20. PP should never let this happen.

Quinten
06-13-2012, 03:07 AM
Tried it today. It seemed to work but the perfect pass was then even worse! It was surging between 18 and 25 MPH. That is a huge jump when the PP is set to 22. I'm taking it to the dealer this week for my servicing, but I have to say I am pretty disappointed right now. If it doesn't come back fixed I will be contacting MC direct. I have faith in my dealer.... so we'll see. But surfing between 9-15 and wakeboarding between 18-25 isn't all that much fun. I could have bought an i/o to do that. Today with PP engaged I was surfing at 10 and my son bumped the throttle and the boat speed up to 20. PP should never let this happen.

You can try to change the cs, nn, kww settings in the big screen under the help tab.

Heelgrad
06-13-2012, 07:51 AM
If you haven't already done it, Go on your BIG to the system- help- screen and click cruise settings to change your PP settings to these figures, CS=650 KW=90 NN=90. My dealer did this for me and it took almost all of the slop out of the perfect pass. I'm guessing that based on your issues that yours is still at the factory default numbers. This will help a lot.

501s
06-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks heel grad. They are still at factory numbers but my dealer didn't tell me wht to set them at. I will check to see where they are at today.

Thanks for all your help btw. This is VERY helpful info.

501s
06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
I didn't even have to go to my boat to see that those numbers differ quite a bit from mine, I just checked the pic I posted of page 1 of this thread! I will give that a try. Thanks again Heelgrad.

Heelgrad
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah I just saw that myself. You'll notice a big difference once you get those adjusted.

501s
06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Thats awesome. That's a lot.